Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with growing plants in 5 gallon buckets

Posted by Jentz none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 22:01

Hi everybody!

I have a few seedlings growing right now using peat moss. They are pretty much ready to be transferred over to a pot. 5 gallon bucket is the way I want to go.

The plants I have are:
Small cherry tomatoes
Basil
Cilantro
Rosemary
Thyme
Red, sweet and long onions
Romaine lettuce
Lettuce
Kale
Yellow bell pepper

What my question is, how many of those plants can I fit in one 5 gallon bucket? I have roughly 3 seedlings each.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with growing plants in 5 gallon buckets

Cherry tomatoes, Kale and yellow bell peppers grow very well in five gallon pots but only one plant per pot. Four Romaine lettuce, three to six lettuces depending on variety,six cilantro, four basil, about nine onions depending on variety. This planting density is dependent on ample feeding and watering,

o

I hope you don't plan to use pure peat in the 5-gallon buckets. You need a soilless, fast-draining mix like those discussed on this forum, especially for the lettuces and onions, which have shallow roots that won't fill the container.

o

All those plants you mention should be fine in 5 gal buckets but I would suggest only one per bucket (not sure about the onions because I never grew them). Rosemary can get rather large so you'll probably have to upgrade its container after a year. My garden used to use a lot of 5 gallon buckets. Due to downsizing they have all been repurposed for other uses.

o

I bought some organic potting soil from Lowe's. It's called organic choice. Don't know if any of you heard of it. If so, is that a good choice?

Also, will the roots get tangled and is that ok?

o

They will probably grow ok in it. Better yet, like was suggested above by Ohiofem, you need a soilless, fast-draining mix like those discussed on this forum, especially for the lettuces and onions, which have shallow roots that won't fill the container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here