Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gellfex

overwintering strawberry pots

gellfex
16 years ago

I've tried putting them in the garage, and I've tried leaving them on the exposed wall they live on in summer. Either way I get 40-60% mortality. I had such a good season this year with Ozark Beauties that I'd like them to come back strong as early as possible, without replanting the pots entirely like I did this year.

Any suggestions?

FWIW, they're plastic with 12 holes, and they're on a drip watering system to overcome the tendency of strawberry pots to be dry. Those plants are still cranking out blossoms and fruit. Amazing!

Comments (6)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

It sure would be nice if you amended your user page so it would at least hint at what part of the country you live in - or if you included that info in the body of your post. A zone and state would be very helpful in enticing readers to offer advice that takes your cultural setting into consideration. It's probably much more important than knowing you were a New Year's baby. ;o)

Al

• gellfex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fair enough about stating the zone. But the Bday thing is an unnecessary breach of privacy, and a key to identity theft. This is a great community, but giving the amount of info required to get the page to show the zone I stated is not appropriate. So I lie a lot. Not only wasn't I born on new years, but I'm not 103.

I'm in zone 6, North Jersey.

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

You are paranoid beyond belief. Lighten up a little.

1eyedJack and the Dawg 08/18.1946 steal it if you want

16 years ago

My best guess is it's almost surely a soil moisture related issue when you're keeping them in the garage; and outdoors - it could be too wet/dry/cold or a combination - even all three. I bet if you kept them in the garage and switched to a terra cotta pot & threw a little snow on them every month or so to keep the soil from drying completely, you'd improve survival substantially.

Al

• gellfex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tapla, I suspect you're right about moisture being part of it, but it can't be all of it. I'd definitely forget to water them in the garage, and I think terra cotta drying out so fast is the root of most peoples problems getting strawberry pots to work well to begin with. Had I the room I'd build an open box for them and surround them with hay or leaves, leaving the tops exposed for water. Maybe just moving them to a sheltered but sky exposed spot would reduce the wind evaporation during cold but dry periods. If that spot was out of the sun it would also provide a more stable temp til spring, no?

16 years ago

Terra cotta drying out so fast isn't the root of any problem - it's an advantage, from a physiological perspective. The problem lies in the fact that people forget about the moisture level needs/wants of the plant and either over or under-water. ;o) Often, optimum plant vitality requires the forfeiture of some level of grower convenience. I'll stand by what I said.

Your idea about a sheltered spot if overwintering outdoors is a good one. If you winter outdoors, you should try to keep the pot well mulched so that the soil doesn't freeze & make water uptake difficult or impossible (which leads to mortality via dessication). Over-wintering in an unheated garage would leave you with the possibility of dessication as a minor consideration if you hold up your end of the deal (the snow thing).

BTW - fallout from inappropriate soil moisture management could indeed be all of the problem.

Good luck.

Al