Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering strawberry pots

Posted by gellfex (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 07 at 22:11

I've tried putting them in the garage, and I've tried leaving them on the exposed wall they live on in summer. Either way I get 40-60% mortality. I had such a good season this year with Ozark Beauties that I'd like them to come back strong as early as possible, without replanting the pots entirely like I did this year.

Any suggestions?

FWIW, they're plastic with 12 holes, and they're on a drip watering system to overcome the tendency of strawberry pots to be dry. Those plants are still cranking out blossoms and fruit. Amazing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering strawberry pots

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 07 at 22:47

It sure would be nice if you amended your user page so it would at least hint at what part of the country you live in - or if you included that info in the body of your post. A zone and state would be very helpful in enticing readers to offer advice that takes your cultural setting into consideration. It's probably much more important than knowing you were a New Year's baby. ;o)

Al

o

Fair enough about stating the zone. But the Bday thing is an unnecessary breach of privacy, and a key to identity theft. This is a great community, but giving the amount of info required to get the page to show the zone I stated is not appropriate. So I lie a lot. Not only wasn't I born on new years, but I'm not 103.

I'm in zone 6, North Jersey.

o

You are paranoid beyond belief. Lighten up a little.

1eyedJack and the Dawg 08/18.1946 steal it if you want

o

Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 16:41

My best guess is it's almost surely a soil moisture related issue when you're keeping them in the garage; and outdoors - it could be too wet/dry/cold or a combination - even all three. I bet if you kept them in the garage and switched to a terra cotta pot & threw a little snow on them every month or so to keep the soil from drying completely, you'd improve survival substantially.

Al

o

Tapla, I suspect you're right about moisture being part of it, but it can't be all of it. I'd definitely forget to water them in the garage, and I think terra cotta drying out so fast is the root of most peoples problems getting strawberry pots to work well to begin with. Had I the room I'd build an open box for them and surround them with hay or leaves, leaving the tops exposed for water. Maybe just moving them to a sheltered but sky exposed spot would reduce the wind evaporation during cold but dry periods. If that spot was out of the sun it would also provide a more stable temp til spring, no?

o

Thu, Oct 4, 07 at 19:49

Terra cotta drying out so fast isn't the root of any problem - it's an advantage, from a physiological perspective. The problem lies in the fact that people forget about the moisture level needs/wants of the plant and either over or under-water. ;o) Often, optimum plant vitality requires the forfeiture of some level of grower convenience. I'll stand by what I said.

Your idea about a sheltered spot if overwintering outdoors is a good one. If you winter outdoors, you should try to keep the pot well mulched so that the soil doesn't freeze & make water uptake difficult or impossible (which leads to mortality via dessication). Over-wintering in an unheated garage would leave you with the possibility of dessication as a minor consideration if you hold up your end of the deal (the snow thing).

BTW - fallout from inappropriate soil moisture management could indeed be all of the problem.

Good luck.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here