Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icedfire

Reusing/Storing/Preparing Soil for Large Container Garden

icedfire
14 years ago

So I know this is being talked about on and off with some current threads, but our situation is a bit different. We had a MASSIVE container garden this season, and this was its first season. I'm talking over 30 containers, most of which were quite large tubs (20-40 gallons) and the rest all 10+ gallon containers. We had over 60 plants. However, it's finally getting near frost here and we need to wrap it up and call it a day and get things squared away for the winter I suppose. Everything did exceptionally well (Except our squashes eventually met a sad fate with SVB's, though according to our extension agents this is practically unavoidable here in hot sunny coastal NC) The climate is great for growing, HOWEVER, the reason we are container gardening in the first place, despite the fact that we have a nice large yard and did indeed want to grow tons of plants, is that we dont have soil here. We have sand, and sand, and.. more sand. That said, with such a large garden, we spent upwards of $400 on getting soil mixed and in place for our starting year, as the ground soil is pretty much useless. It really isn't going to be feasible for us to do this again next year. We know that we are obviously going to have to buy things to supplement the soil with, but keeping costs down is going to be of utmost importance. I realize this situation is not ideal and understand the issue with soil aeration and all that, but you make due with what you have to. So what is our best plan of action to prepare the soil for next spring? A lot of prior researching went into what and how to plant, unfortunately we just didn't think ahead to what to do with all of it now! It basically started out as a mix of potting soil, garden (prepackaged) soil (as I said, the containers were hugs and this was not in the least detrimental), mushroom compost, and a bit of blood and bone meal. The mixes we used were (hopefully and supposedly, if others were to be trusted) high quality mixes. Everything did fantastic this year (actually the sheer number and size of plants got a little out of hand; I dont think we'll be planting quite as many next year!). We will be growing mostly various types of tomatoes, peppers, summer and winter squashes, beans, and peas.

So, what are our options? Like I said, I realize re-using isn't the best option, but we really do need to be able to use as much as possible again and supplement the rest with new nutrients/compost/whatever. Also, is it ok to just leave the soil sitting outside over the winter? Should it be covered? And should the containers be sterilized to be reused?

My other concern was that, though we didn't have much problem with diseases or blight, we did have the squash bugs and squash borer issues, and I was wondering if the old soil will be harboring the critters over the winter or what. Apparently theyre essentially unavoidable here, but I would like to start out without them!

Thank you so much for any help anyone can offer!

Comments (8)

• donna_h
    14 years ago

I'm in the same 'boat' as you are. We have sand, sand and more sand. Heck...we couldn't even grow grass until we had topsoil brought in...ughh!!!

Assuming that your container soil is basically peat with some perlite and vermiculite, why not try layering that in the area that you will growing in next year with some newspapers, manure, leaves, compost...anything that will breakdown over the winter.

In the gardening book, "Lasagna Gardening", this is precisely what the author does. She 'creates' good soil, by adding organics and then letting the whole pile just decompose. Come Spring, she just pokes holes in the now compacted pile and puts in the plants or seeds.

As far as the bugs go, unless you have brutal winters that can kill them, they'll probably just overwinter and reappear next year. Sorry...

I'm not an expert by any means, but your post reminded me of why I choose container gardening over in-ground gardening. Well...that and the fact that my entire property is on a slope ;-)

I hope others will be along to help you.

Donna H.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Compost everything in sight! I would probably do raised beds and fill with compost. In your climate you should be able to achieve a decent breakdown by next spring.

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

To me I don't see why soil can't be used over and over(with a little ammendment as you state) until it no longer gives you the needed results (good drainage )I think many who reuse their soil don't wish to say so because they will be ridiculed for stating this by the long time expert members who say start fresh each year. If your soil drains well I see no reason to absorb the soil replacemant cost each year,,when the soil breaks down far enogh that it inhibits drainage it may all need to be replacsd.Good drainage helps pull oxygen in the soil, and keeps the bottom from being too wet and causing root rot

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Nobody is going to ridicule a person for saying they reuse soils. It may be pointed out that the organic component breaks down and sooner or later drainage becomes lousy, but that's trying to help someone understand something, not ridicule.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I have to agree with justaguy2... the reason most of us use the ingredients we use in our custom mediums, or don't reuse old soil, is because the decomposition causes the soil to collapse, which literally suffocates root systems. The finer the particles, the less aeration.

Quite honestly, I'd take this opportunity to build some raised beds... then fill the beds with the old soil... in spring, I'd amend it all with ingredients that will help its aeration.

• kjmatson
    14 years ago

I have reused the same soil for 2 years now with great results. I started out with FoxFarm soil the first year. This year I added composted chicken manure, rabbit manure,compost, and a little perlite, and I think maybe some worm castings. This is for my winter garden which is indoors btw. I have no problems with bugs and everything grows great. I just put in broccoli, tomato, parsley, lettuce, spinach, habanero peppers, and sweet bell peppers lastnight.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

In the garden, I use compost and mulch, et cetera.

When I dig up my plants for the winter - peppers, jades, aloe, portulacaria afra - I put them into a largely inorganic mix, with only fine bark for the organic component. This reduces the chance of root-rot, infestation, and the unsavory aromas associated with decomposition.

Josh

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I think it should be noted, here, that container environments and garden/raised bed environments differ greatly. This is the reason why different approaches to each work better.

I'd never use an organic soil for my potted plants, but organic is exactly how I garden outdoors, in my beds.