Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Friendly Tomato Plants

Posted by gwood 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 23:35

I am new to container gardening and wanted to hear some different opinions on the best kinds of tomatoes to grow in a container.I want plants that won't grow out of control. So something that grows like a small bush maybe. Any recommendations for cherry/regular size tomato plants would be great! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Friendly Tomato Plants

How big of a container ? Determinte(sometimes called bush Varieties) plants are what you are describing. A 5 gallon container is about the minimum you can use and still have fair results.
Rutgers are a popular variety grows well and has some disease resistance
Black Seaman is a nice black tomato,tasty
Russian Persimmons is a pretty yellow/orange that tasts fantastic
Jagodka is a tasty cherry

Check out the link for more toms than you ever seen before

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato base

o

bush goliath

o

gwood,

I'd recommend tree-type tomatoes for container growing - they are also called 'dwarfs' - you can find a list of these tomatoes here -

Tatiana

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf tomatoes by color

o

I think I have a winner of a tomato for this purpose. I'm going to put my "money" where my mouth is and give a free seed offer at the end of summer to those who would like to try it.

[(Bush Goliath x Jetstar) x Italian Tree] x OP

This year it's only F2 but the seedlings seem to be quite uniform. I'm going to pick the "better" seedling this year to OP, so the seed offered will be F3.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Jon, those plants look wonderful. Where are you that they are so big and blooming? I look forward to seeds in the fall.
Dana

o

Google "Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project." This is a cooperative effort between tomato growers throughout the world to develop and release to market little tomato plants with big taste. The project is coordinated by Craig LeHoullier in North Carolina and a woman named Patrina in Australia. (Craig's the guy who was responsible for Cherokee Purple among many others). The project has released a handful of tomatoes to date with many more in the pipeline. You can buy seed from Victory Garden Seed, Heritage Tomato Seed, Tania's Tomatobase, Sandhill Preservation, Tomato Grower's Supply and perhaps others.

This is not a commercial plug. This is a non-for-profit project and all the varieties are open-pollinated.

o

The best is the compact cherry from bonnie plants. It is a compact cherry tomato but it is indeterminate and does not get out of controll like indeterminate but produces all year. I think it is one of the best they have come up with yet.

o

• Posted by garf 10b (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 16:28

jon_z6b, I would be interested in trying some of the seeds. How do I contact you? You have no Email listed.

o

My favorite container tomato is Sungold.

Josh

o

Dana, I'm in east Tennessee. With the new USDA zone map, now zone 7A... and it's supposed to get down to 39F tomorrow night- but they should be fine. Garf, my email is iamhere72 at live.com. It's perhaps a little late to be starting seed for this season but if you want I could send some F2 now or wait until the F3 is ready. I'm anxious to see how it does for other people... I like it a lot. I was reading up on the 'dwarf project' and it's pretty much along the lines of what they are doing.

o

• Posted by garf 10b (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 20:28

I'm in Miami. The rules are different here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here