Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Ficus elastica - reason for basal stems

Hi all,

I'm curious about basal stems. I've made so many of these little pots with the basal stems of my rubber plant, but examining the plant today, I have about 4 more....which I'm thinking I will just leave in the pot for the reasons below.

All of the pots I've made stay truly miniature. For whatever reason, they don't grow into big leaves like the parent. It's very cute and they're quite robust - leafing out from a leafless stem even when I chop off the top to stick in the soil.

I searched thinking there must be a reason some ficus grow basal stems readily and others don't, since my previous ficus(es) never did to my recollection, but much to my surprise, the only photos of ficus basal stems are mine...from this specific parent plant.

Whatever the reason, I'm not complaining as I rather like my mini ficus pots. But I was wondering about why, and if they do not grow into regular ficus size in leaf or size, what their actual purpose would be. The parent plant itself has been in various soil from Miracle Gro to 511 to 100% ProMix to full on gritty mix...or a Mish mash that it's in now. The basal stem cuttings have always been in gritty mix.

I'm thinking of leaving the ones I have now on the parent plant to see if those get bigger...but I'm guessing they won't.

If anyone knows what determines basal growth and stems, I'd love to know!

Comments (6)

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

I think another forum might be more helpful - maybe the houseplant forum? The focus here tends to be more on the growing medium than specifics of a particular type of plant.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Zen! I figured it's more because it's in a container but I suppose your point is valid!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Two growth regulators (aka hormones) are antagonistic in the plant. One, auxin, suppresses lateral growth and tends to inhibit large numbers of branches and stimulate extension of existing growth. Cytokinin, on the other hand, wants to stimulate lots of lateral growth and lots of secondary ramification (branches growing off of other branches. In most species of Ficus, apical dominance prevails, which means there is enough auxin produced to suppress the amount of cytokinin produced. We can, however, mess up that balance and force lateral growth by cutting off the plant parts that produce the most auxin, and that would be the apices (growing branch tips) and the youngest leaves.

Who wins the battle, auxin or cytokinin, to varying degrees determines whether a woody plant is a tree or a shrub.

Your thread topic is Ficus e, but unless I'm missing something in the perspective of the picture, it's a Ficus other than elastic. How large are the leaves?

Al

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Al!

That's the strangest thing. It's from this parent plant, my favorite:

{{gwi:53057}}

(Ignore the sunburn it got a couple of months ago.)
    These basal stems come up from any of these main stems --continuously. I've potted up five pots of these and kept only one pot, where I keep sticking in new cuttings.

{{gwi:53058}}

Here's my pot with a quarter on the soil for scale:

{{gwi:53059}}

I imagined they would grow at least close to full size, but nope. They stay small and continue growing taller, leafing out. Some grew tall so I snipped off the heads just to see If the stems leaf out, and they do.

Based on your explanation, I could guess it's because I prune off the heads too often, which I do. I've made several pots of these to give to family and friends...which is partially what I love about this plant. However, I am almost certain the basal stems started before I ever pruned it -- soon after I bought it.

I've noticed something else as of late. The new growth is significantly smaller in leaf size, and there are multiple leaf nodes on the new growth, much closer together than before, on bright green stems.

{{gwi:53061}}

I pruned all of it once since moving and did repot it back to that gritty mix I emailed you about. But the growth has always looked quite typical, big leaves unfolding from red sheaths...but this time, it looks different.

Auxin and cytokinins....good to know. Thanks Al, as always!

Grace

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Al!

My basal stem cuttings continue to grow. Still small in comparison to the parent. I know you suspected it was not Ficus elastica but I swear it is LOL.

And look -- today, I repotted the cuttings originally shown in the original post. I have this little thing in the guest bathroom and I admit, there have been times I haven't watered it in a month or so. A few of the cuttings died, but looks at the two that grew!

What is that swelling? And I left it above the soil....is that no good? Shall I bury it? It was buried and I didn't notice until I pulled it up....but it's so interesting!

i have an Adenium Ficus! :-D I wonder if that happened because I forgot to water. The roots just swelled up because they have a forgetful owner and had to evolve to live?

The mom plant, and she really is my feeder plant as the poor thing has had cutting after cutting taken from her and she looks....weary, lol...continues to grow. In front of her are some cuttings I took a few months back, also doing nicely though that one does need more light. I kept it in the family room which is in the northern side of my house vs. the parent lives in the living room, full in south and east windows. I notice the parent has even more basal stems now.

Any ideas? Interesting, huh? :)

Grace