Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer question

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 23:49

Hello.

Will tomato food mircle gro work for greens like spinach? It has a 18 18 21 that might not be the best ratio for greens considering they need a higher N level. The medium will be soiless peat-based. Will the lime be enough Ca, there is none in the micro of mircle grow. Also, there is no sulfur in the MG micro, is that important? Again im using my own soiless mix that has no micro nutrients in it, only the lime.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer question

I dont have a good answer,but I suggest you change your name to the "novicegardener" just kidding

o

Just trying to use up some left over fertilizer, thats all. ;)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 17:56

What kind of lime?

Whether or not there is enough N depends on how much YOU supply. If you supply adequate N though, you'll be supplying more P and K than you need, which isn't a good thing, but it isn't exactly the end of the world either - just not the best route. You'd be better served if you chose a 3:1:2 ratio or even a 3:1:1 ratio, but it's not like you should expect catastrophe.

Al

o

Thank you for the information. I am using espoma garden lime.

I could go with all purpose MG that has a high N ratio. I'll go light on the tomato fertilizer see how it works first.

Thanks.

o

MG all purpose 24-8-16 or 12-4-8 should work best for greens. As tapla said, it'll still grow it the others, just not optimally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here