Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixilikesrice

General Questions about many plants!

pixilikesrice
10 years ago

Hey dudes n ladies!
I just 'rescued' a few different plants from a friend's garden when she had to move and they needed a home. I want to do right by them. I have done container gardening for basically my entire life- but mostly just herbs for the kitchen and peppers. I really don't know how to handle these leafy green delights very well!
if you dudes n ladies could impart any advice if you have the time?
My setup:
I live in a one bedroom in Michigan with radiator heat (dry heat, normally about 70 indoors). I have a large area completely covered in windows that gets good morning/afternoon sunlight (probably about 6 hours total?) I would like to grow the following in some big pots:

Swiss chard- pink stemmed (my sample is a little first-frost hurt)
Purple carrots (i use their greens as well as their bodies)
Celery (same with the using leaves)
Kale
Collard Greens

I'm doing my own research with ye olde google on them as well. Just looking for general advice on whether any of these fair beasties will last out the harsh winter with proper care and stuff.

Comments (5)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I dont think you'd have any luck with any of them indoors.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

Some of those plants can survive a mild winter in a tunnel outdoors in zone 6 or higher. I had a friend who grew chard that way in southwest Ohio last winter. Can you bring the temperature way down in the sunny room? I agree that it's unlikely any of them would do very well indoors, but you might have a chance if temperatures were very low, like say 35-50 F. And, like you, I like to experiment. I wouldn't invest much money into a project like that, but it might be fun to give it a try.

• pixilikesrice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what I'm thinking. Worst comes to worst, I'll at least eat/dry them and that's better than a landscaping company ripping them up and tossing em. So far, everyone looks pretty happy. Gave the Chard a deep/big pot; the celery a wide one. The Collards have one my genuinely Huge Pots and so far isn't dying. The kale is kind of unhappy. Gave kale a 'normal' pot as I had run out of bigguns.
    Ate the Carrots already once research said they weren't so viable.

This is kind of an experiment for me, and Maybe my trials of seeing how this goes can help other gardeners in a similar position. I'll keep it updated on my end.

Who knows? It's always better to try and be hopeful than to just give up?
    Any other advice is always most welcome, as well. If anyone else does something similar, I'm soooo very down to hear your ideas. :)
    Thanks for the feedback as well, Christine!

• pixilikesrice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh man I can! It's a little rectangle box of windows, and I have another window nearby where I could move the chard so it gets lower temps and still good sunlight. Thank you so much!

I can't do a tunnel outdoors with my apartment's set up. (the garden area is the front lawn, I rent a one bedroom, the landlords would be angry)
    And yeah- not putting any money into this project. Just seeing if it'll work.
    My indoor herb garden's doing FANTASTIC so far, so there's always that. I just kinda want to see if I can grow some of my own food through a harsh winter with limited resources.

I think I am going to set up a separate post about the progess of this experiment for other people who might be thinking the same thing. I'll link to it from here when I do!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Here is a pretty firm gardening rule of thumb for you.......if it grows well outdoors in your climate, it is not going to grow well indoors. We simply cannot offer the correct outdoor growing conditions inside our homes for these plants to thrive. And that means even offering winter habitation for plants that are normally sensitive to excess cold, like many veggies.

fwiw, celery is even tricky to grow well outdoors. I couldn't begin to imagine the complications for attempting it inside!