Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwoksmusic

Patio plants and Sun Exposure

kwoksmusic
9 years ago

I have a back patio that is fully exposed to the sun. Its paved with mexican tiles, gets pretty hot, not wood. We're in Northern California, and my patio faces south. Sun from morning to afternoon. Many of my plants get burned leafs.

I would like to know what plants do well in containers on such a patio. I'm interested in lemons, tomatoes, but also any flowering or leafy plants.

Also, is hand watering the best solution as compared with a drip system? After I installed a drip system, almost everything died - I think its due to the lack of differentiation from plant to plant.

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago

In my experience lemons and roses take heat and will thrive in containers, to a point. Anything that gets that much sun will need more attention.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I have a container garden with the same exposure - wood deck, concrete patio, full southern exposure, lots of reflected heat. Sun from 10am to 7pm in summer. My air temps may not get as warm as yours but it gets HOT out there!

I am not very limited by what I grow......any full sun plant will appreciate that exposure provided it is getting the rest of its needs met. And that means an appropriately sized container for the size plant, high quality potting soil, adequate nutrients and close attention to watering. And I water by hand.......that way, I can ensure the plants are getting the amount of water they need.

So what do I grow out there? Tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, Meyer lemon, dwarf conifers, flowering perennials (salvia, agastache, abutilon, digiplexis), zonal geraniums, gerbera daisies, herbs, succulents and cacti, a collection of alpine plants, bulbs (lilies, fressia, tigridia), coleus, ornamental grasses, assorted shrubs (abelia, coprosma, hebes, grevillea), clematis, just about any annual that appeals that particular season..........the point is you are not limited in your selection.

Obviously, not all of these plants are in the same sized containers or have the same water needs. That's why hand watering is so critical.

• kwoksmusic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, if I built some shade over my back patio, I would be able to plant many more plants, I gather? And I can still put my Meyer lemon at the edge so it can get full sun all day right?

I appreciate what you said about hand watering. I realize now that the easy way out, using a drip system is actually counter productive, and drowned many of my plants.

How about Chrysanthemums? According to a website, they love full sun, will they do well in a container on this warm patio?

Thanks again!

• kwoksmusic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, if I built some shade over my back patio, I would be able to plant many more plants, I gather? And I can still put my Meyer lemon at the edge so it can get full sun all day right?

I appreciate what you said about hand watering. I realize now that the easy way out, using a drip system is actually counter productive, and drowned many of my plants.

How about Chrysanthemums? According to a website, they love full sun, will they do well in a container on this warm patio?

Thanks again!

• suncitylinda
    9 years ago

I think "full sun" can be defined by as little as 6 hours daily. It does not necessarily mean unobstructed sun from sun up until sun down especially on a South facing balcony such as yours. You might consider a combination of things such as shade cloth and shading your containers to keep the roots cooler. I know someone in a hot arid climate who installed a misting system to cool down his patio plants.