Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sloan_gw

Al's Container Mix for Daylilies?

sloan
12 years ago

Good morning. Has anyone used Al's container mix for daylilies, and if so, which ratio did you use? Thank you, James.

Comments (3)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Because they'll need annual dividing, I'd use the 5:1:1 mix. I've grown a variety of lilies in it and can assure you they'll do well in it.

Al

• sloan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Al. I'll let you know how it works. The problem I've had with past mixes has been drainage. Since I've raise hybrids that only need dividing every three or four years, do you think the gritty mix might also be an option to consider? James
    p.s.- Happy Thanksgiving!

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I would consider it, but it will most likely need watching with a closer eye toward ensuring it gets enough moisture, as the Gritty Mix tends to dry out a bit quicker... at least, in my own environment and experience it does... and then there is your zone and its climate to consider. On the other hand, if you use a good portion of turface, it would have a better moisture holding capacity, I would think.

Gritty Mix is what I use for all my indoor grown plants and tender bulbs, and I usually go with a mix leaning more toward the 511 for outdoor container use... simply because of moisture concerns; I don't want to have to water more than once daily, just in case I can't be here to do so. I tend to make individual mixes, taking into consideration the plant type and where I'm growing it, and sometimes it turns out rather like a mix between the 511 and Gritty.

I think the important thing is to understand why and how the mixes Al recommends work, which should help you in choosing appropriate ingredients and ratios.

Don't let me confuse you... once you've worked with and used such fast draining mediums for a bit, you get a feel for what works best when certain variables are considered, such as your individual climate and environment, the plant type and its needs, the size of container, where the plant will be situated, etc...

I can tell you one thing, though... such mediums are a much healthier option for your plants' roots. Try a Daylily or two in the Gritty Mix, to see how you like it... if it works out, make the next transplant into it for more of your plants!