Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlightbotanist

My experience with turface all sport

Starlight Botanist
10 years ago

Just wanted to share my results with a bag of turface all sport and what sort of particle sizes were in the bag, how much was course, how much was medium, and how much was fine(unusable).

I ordered this bag from john deere landscaping, the only source i could find near where I live. Took about 2 or 3 weeks to get here, and was around 15 dollars for a 50 pound bag.

This is the bag, a bit different than some others i have seen. I assume its just john deere's packaging.
{{gwi:53295}}

This is the results of the screening. The far left 5 gallon bucket is the largest, 1/8th inch or larger. The middle 5 gallon bucket is smaller than 1/8th but larger than 1/16th. And the container on the far right is smaller than 1/16th(waste)
{{gwi:53296}}

Here is a shot comparing their sizes with a quarter. This image looks a bit small to me when posted, right click on it and choose "open in a new tab" to view a larger version.
{{gwi:53297}}

By weight this is what i got:

Fine(1/16th or smaller, waste): 5.8 pounds
Medium(larger than 1/16th - 1/8th): 25.8 pounds
Large(larger than 1/8th) 17.6 pounds

Poor downstairs neighbors deck that i dropped a cup of turface on accidentally: 0.8 pounds. (Added for comic value, however did happen) :-)

I screened mine like this for a few reason.

1) Just to experiment and share the results so people could know more about what they may be buying.
2) I wanted to use the larger size to make gritty mix for succulents that will be grown hard. e.g. Jades.
3) Wanted to use the medium, or a mix of medium/large to adjust water retentiveness of gritty mix for plants that like a bit more water, or I want to extend the watering intervals

NOTES ON THIS PRODUCT VS NAPA OIL DRY #8822

*Its a darker color, more redish. The napa is more gray
*Its heavier
*Its much harder. Although the floor dry does pass the soak test, i can break it up after its soaked if i try really really hard. I basically can't breakup the turface unless i use my knife.

I hope this has been informative, and if you have any questions about this product, that i haven't answered here let me know. Also, any input would be appreciated!

-Jess

This post was edited by smishgibson on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 9:13

Comments (6)