Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My experience with turface all sport

Posted by smishgibson 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 8:53

Just wanted to share my results with a bag of turface all sport and what sort of particle sizes were in the bag, how much was course, how much was medium, and how much was fine(unusable).

I ordered this bag from john deere landscaping, the only source i could find near where I live. Took about 2 or 3 weeks to get here, and was around 15 dollars for a 50 pound bag.

This is the bag, a bit different than some others i have seen. I assume its just john deere's packaging.

This is the results of the screening. The far left 5 gallon bucket is the largest, 1/8th inch or larger. The middle 5 gallon bucket is smaller than 1/8th but larger than 1/16th. And the container on the far right is smaller than 1/16th(waste)

Here is a shot comparing their sizes with a quarter. This image looks a bit small to me when posted, right click on it and choose "open in a new tab" to view a larger version.

By weight this is what i got:

Fine(1/16th or smaller, waste): 5.8 pounds
Medium(larger than 1/16th - 1/8th): 25.8 pounds
Large(larger than 1/8th) 17.6 pounds

Poor downstairs neighbors deck that i dropped a cup of turface on accidentally: 0.8 pounds. (Added for comic value, however did happen) :-)

I screened mine like this for a few reason.

1) Just to experiment and share the results so people could know more about what they may be buying.
2) I wanted to use the larger size to make gritty mix for succulents that will be grown hard. e.g. Jades.
3) Wanted to use the medium, or a mix of medium/large to adjust water retentiveness of gritty mix for plants that like a bit more water, or I want to extend the watering intervals

NOTES ON THIS PRODUCT VS NAPA OIL DRY #8822

*Its a darker color, more redish. The napa is more gray
*Its heavier
*Its much harder. Although the floor dry does pass the soak test, i can break it up after its soaked if i try really really hard. I basically can't breakup the turface unless i use my knife.

I hope this has been informative, and if you have any questions about this product, that i haven't answered here let me know. Also, any input would be appreciated!

-Jess

This post was edited by smishgibson on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 9:13

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My experience with turface all sport

Thanks. Very informative.

o

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

This is the same stuff I use. It's very helpful and useful to see a scientifically-based analysis, and is roughly in line with my observations as well.

-Alex

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 16:59

maybe i have missed it but has anyone done this with Turface MVP? Id be curious to see how much waste it has.

mike

o

MVP and All Sport are the same thing with grain size ranging from dust to large.

Pro League and All Sport Pro are the same thing with fairly consistent grain size - slightly smaller than the average size of MVP/All Sport.

o

I am learning. Never heard about turface before. As I understand , it is like fired brick crushed up . I think it is more beneficial for potting plants that will be there for longer than a year. So maybe bark nuggets will do for annuals. I could be wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here