Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamiedolan_gw

How to mix fertilizer concentrate

jamiedolan
13 years ago

HI;

I have a bag of Plant Marvel: "General Purpose 20-20-20 PLUS Specially formulated as a general purpose feed for use on ornamental plants, small shrubs, grasses, fruits and vegetables, and other intensely cultivated crops."

I'd like to use this up since I have almost 40 pounds of it. I will purchase Dyna-Gro next time I need fertilizer.

I'd like to mix up this fertilizer into suspension so it is easy to mix with my watering can. You need to use hot water with this product to get it to mix well, but it is suppose to stay in suspension well once mixed.

How can I go about figuring out how much to mix, then how much to use?

I have one of those Miracle Gro bottles where I use 1/3 of a cap per gallon. I would like to make it up at that same concentration if possible.

Any suggestions on how I calculate the amount I mix, then how much of that liquid I use when I water?

Thank You

Jamie

Comments (13)

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found a info sheet for the fertilizer I have, I attached the link.

I've used this fertilizer in my hose end sprayer outside and just let it auto mix at what ever ratio it uses.

Thanks
    Jamie

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on the fert I have

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

If someone suggested to you DO NOT mix two fertilizers to work as one would you listen ?

If you read the labels on both ferts do either labels have printed instructions on how to mix one with the other ?

Your response is a big NO after your reading both labels looking for mix instructions. Understand when you read the labels on how to mix fert A with fert B instructions ? You saw or will ever read any mixing instructions. That's cause there are NOT or have ever been any such instructions on any fertilizer label.

The printed fertilizer labels both oddly suggest you shouldn't mix fert A with Fert B and I suggest you shouldn't mix them either

Now that two suggestions to NOT mix fert A with fert B

Maybe someone else might get into a more detailed reason as to why you shouldn't mix fert A with fert B & aside from my blunt posting any good informative bottom line should read DON'T DO IT

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't have any idea why you think I'm trying to mix 2 fertzs. Just 1 fert. But all directions are for use with injectors not for mixing up a concentrated liquid your going to hand dilute in small quanties.

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

My bust on the miss read, the good news is there are three that suggest not to mix fert a with fert b. I use Dyno Gro liquid plant food 7-9-5 NPK here and there it's label has instructions for use as 1/4-1/2 teaspoons per gallon water or a 11 oz bottle would make up to 175 gallons also being the small quantities you mentioned.

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI;

Sorry for my short response before, I was typing on my ipod in the wee hours of the morning when I should have been sleeping.

I hear so many good things about the dyna gro line of products, maybe I will just get some for inside and save the 40 #'s of 20-20-20 I have for landscape plants where I can use it with an injector. I suppose that is easier, just seemed silly to be buying more fertilizer when I had 40#'s of water soluble here. Liquid fertilizer is much easier to use for indoor plants because I don't have to worry about it not mixing up well.

Why do you use the 7-9-5 formula instead of the 9-3-6?

Thanks
    Jamie

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Whatever strength is actually appropriate depends on several things - how frequently you fertilize, your soil choice, watering habits, plant material, how robustly the plant is growing, soil temperature .... Basically, since the %s of NPK in your fertilizer are the same as in MG 20-20-20 or other similar soluble fertilizers, the suggested rates listed for those would apply as well. I looked for a box of 20-20-20 in my storeroom, but have only a bag, which doesn't give mixing instructions, so I'll have to leave that to you to research - unless someone else saves the day with the info (unless you already have it).

Al

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI;

Thanks for the information. Is using 20-20-20 on house plants in the winter going to be too much? I generally add fertilizer every time I water, which is at least once per week for everything except succulents. Bonsai / stuff in grit that get watered closer to daily still only get fertilizer once per week. I just used up a bottle of liquid, I thought it was 20-20-20, but it was 12-4-8 that I have been using, at full label strength.

I'm going to get a hold of some FP, but for my general knowledge, if you don't mind answering; With a fast soil, is there much danger of fertilizing to the point of causing damage, even with a 20-20-20?

Thanks
    Jamie

13 years ago

There is always danger of over-fertilizing if you aren't paying attention. It's not so much the fertilizer you use that causes the problems, it's how you use it. Plants use very close to the same RATIO of nutrients all year long - they just use more or less of that ratio. IOW, when N usage is down, P and K usage is down by the same %s. We know that plants USE about 6x more N than P, yet 20-20-20 supplies P @ 43% of N (after adjusting for the fact that P is reported in fertilizer %s as P2O5), almost 3X more than is needed. This means that when/if N is depleted, the 'extra' P and K will still be in the soil, unless you are flushing the soil regularly. At best, this temporarily contributes unnecessarily to the level of soluble salts in the soil. At worst, it becomes a persistent problem and escalates to the point where it is difficult or impossible for plants to absorb water and nutrients dissolved in water, It is a particular problem during the winter when evaporative rates are high and we tend to water in sips because plants use less water because of slowed growth.

When using fast soils and good watering technique, the danger is relegated to the dosage. As long as you use good sense and low doses, the danger of over-fertilizing with these soils/habits is far less than it would be using heavy soils you have to water in sips.

Unless your plants are in very good light and warmer than 65*, you'll want to cut back considerably on the dosage. 1/8 recommended strength is a good starting point. I use 12 drops/gallon of FP 9-3-6 per gallon of water all winter long; but again, my plants are warm and growing under good lights.

Al

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll make sure to cut back considerable on the fertilizer on most of the plants. Many are in lower light conditions. However, the temp is more like 68-72 around 40% RH.

I've taken an effort to get as many of my plants as close to the windows as possible. I've setup tables in front of my west windows upstairs and used that area for many of my tropical plants, placing them directly in front of the windows.

I do have 24 sq ft setup with good bright lighting (18 bulbs):
    {{gwi:53357}}

I do keep drain trays as large / deep as I can get for the pot on everything, as I aim to fill up that tray, I remember reading something to the effect that you wrote about having 10%+ of the water flush through the pot each time you water.

Thanks

Jamie

13 years ago

Looooking gooood! {{gwi:6022}}

Al

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

Looking good in deed ..... sounds even better, thanks for chiming in Al. In response to 7-9-5 it's often been suggested by others a higher middle P would be a better choice for citrus plants. Seeing now that NPK numbers don't really matter however when it comes to habits of actual use and other growing conditions NPK needs to be considered. Great info Thanks again Al

• retiredprof
    13 years ago

Wow! After reading this whole thread from the top, I was totally off-base after reading Jamie's initial post. Just proves again how easy it is to misinterpret.

Here's what I thought: Jamie, you had a 40-pound bag of granular fert (like you would spread around dry), but you wanted to use that somehow as a liquid feed. I thought you were trying to figure how much of that (like 1/3 c or cap) to mix in a gallon.

In any case, I wasn't going to be much help cause I was clueless! LOL! Looks like you're on the right track now.

• Anji2011
    12 years ago

Is it OK to use different fertilizers (16-16-16 first and some miracle grow 24-7-? 2 weeks later) at different times for vegetable gardening? Or should I use only one type of fertilizer throughout the season? I figured the 16-16-16 gives a balanced growth in the beginning and miracle grow gives foliage after plants established. Please help...