Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Missed that bit of information

Posted by monet_g 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 10:17

I began using the Gritty Mix for a large number of clivia plants last spring. The plants love it (thanks Al), however, I quickly realized how heavy the large pots were.

Sooo... when I potted up additional plants, I replaced the grit with perlite. They're in equal parts of turface, perlite and bark. I now see that the ratio should have been altered. Am I going to run into trouble?
Thanks,
Gail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Missed that bit of information

Did you screen/sift/rinse the Perlite?

I find that the particle-size of the Perlite is more crucial to drainage than the moisture capacity
of the Perlite itself.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,
I did screen/sift the perlite. (Didn't rinse it, though.) Eeek, is that stuff nasty.
I am careful about particle size.
Sounds like I should be okay.
Gail

o

Ah, very good to hear!
Perlite is nasty stuff, indeed.
Lately, I've been using a pond basket to rinse my Perlite, Pumice, and Turface.

Here's a quick question: when you water, does any Perlite dust flow out with the water?

Josh

o

Josh,
No, I haven't noticed any dust.
I'm guessing that's a quick tip :).
I like the idea of rinsing in the pond basket.
Gail

o

Gail..It is so awsome to see you here! I remember when you and I talked of using the mix way in the start at the clivia forums...I am proud of you...Don't you just love how nice and white the roots are?

See how big mine got just this summer..?

You couldn't ask for a better bunch of people here for help, and Josh is definatly a big help..

Mike

o

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the thoughts and yes, of course, I saw how well your plants did this summer. Well done.
Everybody is so great, but... Al, you are over the top.
Thanks so much.
Gail

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here