Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Somebody was growing these in containers?

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 10:30

Juniperus communis Pencil Point and Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone'
Wondering if somebody was growing these and can talk with me about their needs and perfomance.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Somebody was growing these in containers?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 12:25

What do you want to know?

Al

o

How fast they are growing? How often to transplant? Do i need to protect containers from freezing temp?
What kind of fertilizer to use if i plant them in gritty mix? How often to fertilize?

o

Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 21:04

I'd say J communis grows faster than the average conifer, but HOW fast it grows will depend in part on how it likes the cultural conditions you provide. Containers don't necessarily need to be kept from freezing temps (the SOIL can freeze solid with no ill effects), but they need to be protected against killing low temps. I've left junipers out on the benches for extended periods down to 20* or so, with no apparent ill effects, but if you can keep actual root temps above 25-28*, you should have little loss of fine roots to cold temps. I fertilize when they are actively growing an soil temps are above 55* with Foliage Pro 9-3-6. Any of the commonly available fertilizers with a 3:1:2 NPK RATIO (different than NPK %s), like 24-8-16, 12-4-8, 9-3-6, would be a good choice. How often you fertilize depends on how often you water and mean temperatures. A full recommended strength dose per fortnight or a half dose weekly is about right when temps are above 55*.

Al

o

Thank you, Al, you are as usual very helpful.

o

Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 9:43

..... and thank you for the kind words. I wish you well. Junipers aren't very demanding in containers. Try to avoid over-watering - they'll take it pretty dry; and in the dog days, try to keep the containers from over-heating. The heat often doesn't kill the plant outright in the summer, but those roots that are heat-killed often start to rot in the fall & your plants can collapse over winter from root rot.

Have you read the thread about tending to woody material in containers? It has a lot of good info in it.

Al

Here's the birth of a very small bonsai juniper from a 3 year old cutting I started:
Photobucket
Photobucket

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about trees/shrubs in containers ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here