Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing fertilizer and sulfuric acid

Posted by marc5 z5OH (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 11:11

I recently discovered this wonderful forum, and have spent hours reviewing some great threads led by Al, with contributions by many experienced growers. Thanks Al, for sharing your knowledge. A short intro: I'm interested in propagating native deciduous trees, mostly pawpaws. I've been experimenting with starting them from seed in different containers and mixes. From threads here on the forum I've already gained some insights on mixes, watering, and fertilizer. I now see where I've gone wrong at times! I've got plenty of questions, but I'll start out now with one.

Next spring I will be watering hundreds of containers, so I need to be efficient. New containers will be filled with 5-1-1, or something similar (thanks, Al). The alkalinity of my water is very high (260 ppm, and ph is 7.4) so I must add sulfuric acid to it. With plenty of calcium and mag, I don't need to add those elements. For fertilizer I have used some controlled release; I have also used some water soluble with fertigation. I am shopping for water soluble with Al's ideal 3:1:2 ratio without Ca and Mg. I will be purchasing a Dosatron injector to inject fertilizer and acid. My question: what about mixing the acid and the fertilizer in the same stock tank? I have read here of possible problems with precipitants (thanks redshirtguy). Short of a jar test, is there any way of knowing of potential mix problems before I buy a bag of fertilizer? Peters and Plantex are available around here.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge,
Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing fertilizer and sulfuric acid

The best thing to do is call and ask, as it's very likely they can give you exact recommendations based on the product you want to use. The conventional wisdom is to use separate injectors, because the interactions between acid stock solutions and fertilizer stock solutions are complicated and likely to cause problems.

Even jar tests may not give you all the information when you're using a micro-irrigation system.. even small amounts of insoluble precipitates can build up and clog nozzles, creating a huge headache.

If citric acid is an economically practical choice, you may want to consider it. It's relatively complication free, even with respect to micronutrients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here