Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

is CRF considered feed and forget?

njitgrad
10 years ago

I plan on buying Dynamite 15-5-9 CRF and mixing it in with my 5-1-1 mix next season. This is the first season I am making my own mix so I'm not quite sure exactly how the process works so I have the following questions:

1) How much of this product should be mixed in? Is it based on container size (anywhere between 5 gal to 30 gallon) or is it based on the ratio to the other 5-1-1 ingredients for a given volume of mix?

2) One I transplant my tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers into the containers, will they ever require a feeding throughout the growing season? Or can I just feed and forget?

Answers to these and any other suggestions are welcome.

Comments (7)

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

It's based on your total volume/qty of finished 5-1-1 mix. Remember that 5 gallons of bark, 1 gal of perlite and 1 gal of peat does not end up as 7 gallons of mix. Materials settle and you usually end up with less than the sum.

1/4 cup would be ample for 4 or 5 gallons of final mix. Just don't add the CRFs and for some reason let it sit around for weeks and months in the mix before you decide to plant. Put your plants in it immediately or you run the risk of released CRFs burning up your plant roots when you eventually do plant.

I think in warm/hot weather, Dynamite will last 3-4 months.

You can get by with just the Dynamite, but a lot of folks on here couple it with the Dyna-Pro for a 1-2 punch. As OCD hands-on gardeners, the Dyna will give you immediate results (better put, give the plants immediate food) regardless of weather and conditions. The Dynamite is seen as the secondary nutrient source actually and serves mainly as either a) the starter charge or b) the safety net for food in case you can't do liquid fert regularly for some reason.

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent advice, thank you. I will get some Dyna-Pro as well. Do you add that in periodically, or when making the soil mix?

BTW, who makes Dyna-Pro? I can't find it on Amazon and there's zero chance any of my local garden centers will carry it.

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

Whoops, it's called Dyna-gro Foliage-Pro. I mixed it up. See link below.

Best way is a weakened solution every time you water. Why? The way I see it, living growing organisms like their food available or accessible on a constant basis. I mean, we don't just gorge on Thanksgiving day and not eat the remaining 29 days of the month? We need and eat a little each day. Why are plants any different? Al touches on this in his big "Fertilizing Plants" post -- another great read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyna-gro

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional info. And (just to make sure before I purchase) this combination would be considered good for tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and other container grown veggies?

• oxboy555
    10 years ago

It's a good baseline that seems to work for just about any plant. You still ought to research every kind of plant/veggie you plan to grow to see if there are any special nutritional requirements, e.g. considered light vs. heavy feeder or plant X benefits from add'l nitrogen or whatever nutrient. That type of thing. Then you can adjust your fert routine accordingly.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

For summer grown vegetables in 5-1-1, I added 1 tablespoon of osmocote plus 15-9-12 per gallon of the original mix, which should also contain dolomitic lime for additional calcium and magnesium. Next summer I plan to use the Dynamite Select at the same rate. I usually don't start fertilizing with liquid fertilizers like Dynagro Foliage Pro until the plants are showing signs of good growth about 4-6 weeks into the season. Then I usually fertilize at the rate of 1 teaspoon of FP per gallon of water once a week for heavy feeders like eggplants and tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for peppers, which seem not to need as much fertilizer. I use plain water between feedings. You could divide the liquid fertilizer into smaller amounts (like 1/2 teaspoon per gallon) and use it more often, but I grow so many container vegetables, I don't have the patience and time to do that. There is no need to adjust the fertilizer ratio for different plants; just adjust the amount. Most herbs, for example, do fine with only the CRF. As the season progresses and plants grow larger, they will need more water, so they automatically get more fertilizer when I use the fertilizer water.

• marc5
    10 years ago

For my tomato in an 18 gallon tote in 5-1-1, I mixed in half a tablespoon of Osmocote per gallon of medium. I also fertilized with every watering at about 100 ppm of N, using Plantex. That's about a half a teaspoon of the fertilizer per gallon of water most people here use. My tom filled a five foot cage in no time, and I had bunches of tomatoes--not the fruit size that I have in the ground, but still nice.

I also injected acid to counter the alkalinity of my water.