Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jane Magnolia in a Container

Posted by musebox 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 12:19

I have a Jane Magnolia in a 3 gallon pot (just purchased) and it is about 3 feet high. I want to keep it in a container and have been reading up on the gritty mix and Al's mix, but I am not sure which one would be best for this tree. I have searched around for the ingredients for both mixes figuring I would go with the one I can locate all ingredients for. No such luck. I either can't locate all the items locally or they are too expensive considering they will be for just one (maybe two) container plants. The shipping alone on some items is just not worth it, in my opinion. I think I can try to gather up the ingredients for Al's mix if I use fir bark nuggets or Orchard Bark, which I can find locally.

I would appreciate any input regarding which of these two mixes would be the better choice and some tips on how to get started. I'm a bit of a newbie at planting and potting. Please no suggestions to plant the tree in ground, as I am determined to keep it in a pot for at least a couple of years as I work on my landscape. Thank you for any tips you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here