Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia Luxurians anyone

Posted by landperson 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 12:29

Today or tomorrow I am (finally) going to take the gritty mix plunge. I've got a Begonia Luxurians that is outside in a 2/5 gallon pot. It is not hardy enough for my zone, and will need to be brought indoors at least periodically during the winter when we get cold snaps. So....this will be my first repot into gritty mix.

Anyone else growing BL?
Anything I need to know???

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia Luxurians anyone

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 10:38

I would repot it when there is a forecast favorable enough that you'll be able to leave the plant outdoors for several days after the repot. I've grown several begonias in the gritty mix, most of them dwarfs, as companion plants for bonsai being displayed. All have done very well. If it's your first experience with the gritty mix, expect water to run through the soil quickly. The soil does hold more water than you think it does, but you will need to water more frequently; and because you'll be flushing the soil when you water, you'll need to fertilize more frequently as well.

Using a short wick as a 'tell', to let you know when water is needed might be a good idea until you're up to speed. It does take a little getting used to, but I think you'll find it to be an exceptional soil for all your long term plantings once you do.

Best luck, Susan!

Al

o

Thanks, Al. This is my first experience with this particular begonia, and it is probably the first one I've had that really will have to come in in the winters. It is only hardy to in Zone 10, and people who have tried to keep it outdoors in the SF Bay area seem to think it doesn't kill it but sets it back just too far.

At 67, I'm not big on hauling heavy stuff in and out of the house, and this girl is likely to get BIG. Also, she apparently doesn't like to dry out between waterings, so she will keep me on my toes in the gritty mix.....No forgetting her for a few days the way I have been able to do in her current mix which is more like (or maybe even exactly) your 5-1-1.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 14:41

Please keep us posted. ;o)

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here