Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaking pot?

Posted by Gzha none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 12:36

I have a pot that's about 12" wide at the base and about 14" high. I think it's ceramic or clay or equivalent.

I've noticed, repeatedly, that if I move the pot, the carpet underneath is slightly damp. I know for a fact that no water spilled out of the drainage holes. I've also looked at the bottom and see no obvious cracks.

Is it possible that water leaches through the ceramic/clay/whatever material? Or is a crack the only explanation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaking pot?

Either/or. You can have tiny tiny tiny hairline cracks. Or the pot/saucer material could just be degrading. Or the material could be cheaply made.

In the end, don't put bare clay/ceramic or even glazed material on anything you value like carpet or nice wood on a desk/shelf. Inevitably, the water/moisture/condensation will get through and stain/damage. It's a losing battle, no matter how careful you try to be. I know you might find it ugly, but use a plastic or composite saucer underneath. Or move the plant onto tile/flooring/shelving/a surface that you don't care if it gets stained or damp. And using a ceramic/clay saucer under a ceramic/clay pot brings you back to square one of the problem.

Of bigger concern, in my humble opinion, is why isn't water "spilling" through the drainage holes? You need to be watering so at least some water flushes out each and every time. This is where the saucers come back into play.

Rule #1 for Amateur Container Gardening 101 is never ever ever install your container plants into a container/pot that doesn't have drainage holes. Either drill holes in the bottom or find a better pot with holes. Just like heart disease is the leading killer of humans, lack of drainage holes is the leading killer of potted plants through the ages. :)

o

How can you have a house plant and water it without a saucer ? !!

o

• Posted by Gzha none (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 20:44

Thanks all. Sounds like a plastic saucer is the way to go.

To answer questions: It has a built-in saucer, where the base just spreads out to form a catch basin. Same material as the rest of the pot. Water comes out of the drainage holes into that lip. What I meant and should have said was that water doesn't spill over the side of the lip of the built-in saucer.

o

That attached saucer is a problem for the roots, as is stops the mix from ever draining completely, and the water in the saucer is wicked back into the mix. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here