Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairecathy

Root Pruning Tools

clairecathy
13 years ago

From what I've read so far, it seems I will need both pruning shears and also a saw to do root pruning. Can anyone recommend good kinds/brands to look at for these two tools? Also, if there are tools that work well for not-strong hands, that info would be especially appreciated. :)

Claire

Comments (23)

• clairecathy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al,

Wow! :)

This was really an eye-opener for me. Not just because of the array of tools, but the many things they are needed for. For one thing, I never realized it would be good to tap the planter get the soil settled in or necessary to tamp it down. Is the tamp-down only at the end of the job or do you tamp as you go? Lightly?

The other surprise for me was that you can straighten tree roots. I had envisioned them all quite hard and permanently rounded or twisted. But if some are soft enough to straighten, why wouldn't it be easy to just pull them out with your hands?

Re: the Bahco saw, is the one for "hard or dry" wood for the roots and the "green wood" blade for branches? http://www.bahcostore.com/folding-saws

It will be a few months before I attack this project (my root-bound fig still in its 5 gallon nursery container) , but I like to prepare ahead so I have time to figure everything out and get it as right as I can manage. Is there a particular link you recommend for root pruning?

As always, I'm so grateful for your help.

Claire

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I had a tooth extracted today - not a root-canal, per se....but your tools are oddly familiar, Al... ;)

I'm especially fond of your sickle!

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Josh,
    I'm sorry to hear that... I hope your doing O.K. ;)
    I was thinking the one on the right looked kinda scary. lol..

Al,
    Thanks for that great photo! It really helps to "see" what we need.
    I'm going to print it. :)

JoJo

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I didn't mean to leave the impression you NEED all these various tools to do root work. You can get by with a root pick and a pair of scissors for small trees. You can also use other tools you have on hand in place of some of the specialized tools - no big deal. I repot more than 150 trees each spring/summer, so for me it's helpful to have tools that help save time.

"Is the tamp-down only at the end of the job or do you tamp as you go? Lightly?"

I usually add an inch or two of soil at a time & work it into the roots with the root pick. When I'm done, I tap the sides of the pot to further settle the soil, then top off with more soil & trowel/tamp it flat. You really can't compress the gritty mix much, so it doesn't matter if you tamp firmly or lightly. The soil will settle further as you water.

I only buy the 396-JT blades.

For root pruning, you can follow this embedded link and scroll down to the 2 posts I made on Apr 12. I have another thread prepared for when that thread tops out at 150 posts that will include root pruning and repotting in the original post, but it will essentially be the same info I posted on Apr 12. Feel free to ask questions.

Al

13 years ago

Looks like I was typing away (and tending the soup) while you guys were posting - and I didn't see your posts. ;o) I hope you're feeling ok, Josh. Glad to be of service, JJ. ;o)

Al

• clairecathy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al,

When I follow the link I can't see any posts. Am I just being dense here?

Claire

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

It's not you Claire :)

looks like GW home page. :)

JoJo

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

What are you repotting? House plants? I root prune using pruning shears. Lay the plant on its side and start cutting. I cut away about 1/3 and pull the roots down with my hands. Ficus or other large houseplants do not necessarily have large woody roots.

BTW, I only root prune in the spring unless its an emergency. Plants slow down growth in winter.

What are you repotting and how big are the trees?

Jane

13 years ago

Sorry, Claire. Try the link below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me. He's daft but I know what I'm doing!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Much Better. ;)

Daft is easily forgiven.. ;)

Have a good night all..
    JJ

• clairecathy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jane,

"What are you repotting and how big are the trees?"

Just the fig I mentioned before.

Claire

13 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, JoJo and Al!
    I feel pretty bad...but in a good way. I'm taking the pain pills one at a time still ;)
    On the bright side, I'm only out a couple thousand dollars.
    I could have lost my jaw! Then who would read Macbeth to the Seniors?

Josh

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

I don't know which post. There are a few and I don't see anything about what you are working on.

Jane

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Nov 22, 10 at 17:43

a few posts up

13 years ago

Yep, here it is:

"It will be a few months before I attack this project (my root-bound fig still in its 5 gallon nursery container)"

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh,
    it was late, I forgot that part of the quote. ;)

I guess I need to get some tools. :)

I have 5 trees I need to do if they ever drop leaves, lol.
    Hope your doing better today.

JoJo

• retiredprof
    13 years ago

This post comes at a great time! My adult children were just asking me what's on my "wish list?"

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

There you go!
    Print it and give it to them. ;)

My birthday is comming up, I may just treat myself. lol!

JoJo

• clairecathy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al,

That link was great! I feel prepared now for the work ahead ... even though this news was a bit daunting: "For instance, many of my pines can go 3-5 years between repots, but the edible figs in large pots, mulberry too, have roots leaping out of every container orifice by late summer, even though they're repotted yearly."

And I have a question as to how the following advice might apply to my fig: "it's still a good thing to limit the number of fruit allowed to mature, or force the tree to bear alternately. Of course this may vary. For instance, if you were growing mulberry, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but with the pomes, and many of the trees with larger fruits, it is a sound management practice."

Also, does "alternately" mean every other year you snip away beginning fruit buds?

Claire

13 years ago

I always approach woody plants in containers with the idea I should worry first about vitality, then about fruit/flower numbers.

Hardy figs are possessed of extreme inherent genetic vigor, so allowing them to fruit as they will with no interference from you will not have a noticeable effect on their vitality; but allowing many other fruit trees to bear annually can leave them weakened. Alternately does mean 'every other year'. Some trees naturally maintain an alternate cycle, bearing heavily one year and showing light fruit set the next. Other plants, because of the natural stress that goes along with container culture, will benefit from our limiting the numbers of fruit the are allowed to bear.

Al

• clairecathy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al,

Oh, good news about figs! :) I'd hate to go a year without eating them, and will happily root prune every year to get them. Yum.

Thanks,

Claire

• johnweh
    13 years ago

I don't think I could get involved in root pruning. After looking at Al's tool display, it reminds me too much of one of my favorite movies (Marathon Man). "Is it safe?"