Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smart pot question

Posted by augiedog55 none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 12:58

After doing some research i'm going to use smart pots for my container tomato growing on the deck.. I'm getting some 25 gallon pots. My question is can i grow a large indeterminte plant in a pot of that size or do i have to stick to smaller variaties?
Thanks in advance
Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smart pot question

I have a Cherokee Purple and a Green Tiger still producing in air type pots, one is a Smart Pot brand but I don't like those (I sampled four different brands this season), I'm throwing it out as soon as the tomato is done. The smart pot handles aren't as sturdy, and the pot is a thinner material, so the top edge folds down and gets in the way of watering. I'm going with just the thicker brands with the tougher handles. I do like handles, I live in the city, and I have actually moved them to get better sun as the season changed, or as some fizzled out I moved other closer together.

Jerry

o
RE: smart pot question

I planted-up 20-30 7-gal. "smart" pots last year. Two pepper plants or one tomato plant in each. IMO, 25 gal is way overkill--even for large indeterminates. I know there are a lot of folks growing full-size plants in 5-gal buckets. You just need to pay attention to moisture and fertility and you'll be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here