Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Does humic acid serve any purpose for container plants?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of humic acid for plants? It is very dark and you add it to water and it is suppose to be very good for any plants in soil. Does anyone know if this stuff benefits containerized plants also? Does it serve a purpose for plants in soiless medium,especially for gardenias and citrus or would I be wasting my time using this stuff. Should I use it for the plants in the great outdoors only?

Does anyone have sucess using this stuff in containerized houseplants?

I heard it is suppose to make soilless media healthy and help in aid of nutrient uptake for plants.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments (8)

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Since the use of any product that identifies itself as humic acid would come in a container, maybe you had better find a source for it and ask questions of the seller.
    Does your plants require more than what fertilizers give them and do you have concern that if you don't apply such product, your plant will suffer.

Since there is no way of proving the products worth unless you do a 'this for one' and 'that for the other' and keep records of what each is doing given the same parameters, might you just save your money and invest in what the professionals suggest.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Humic acid (and its usually accompanying fulvic acid) are most often used as an amendment to improve the quality of clay soils, sandy soils, and/or other soils organically deficient. The primary value of adding humic acid to clay or other compacted soils comes from the resulting structural break-up (increase in friability) of these soils. Obviously, this should not be an issue in the soils you are using. In sandy soils, humic acid's value is in its addition of organic material to soils, which would also in the end improved water retention and root function, neither of which are anything you would be lacking in the soils you use.

In some soils, humic acid can also play another role in facilitating a plant's ability to assimilate nutrients. Humic acid can lower pH and help unlock otherwise bound nutrients in the soil that might not be unavailable under conditions of higher pH. Again, this should not be an issue for you, given the fertilizer regimen you use and a known favorable pH.

Finally, humic acid can stimulate soil micro-biology in some soils, increasing the numbers and activity levels of soil micro-populations, the primary function of which are to make available minerals and nutrients which could be stored within the humic acid complex and hopefully available on an 'as needed' basis. Again, not much of a benefit when you consider you're supplying a full compliment of nutrients in a readily available form on a regular and 'as needed' basis.

I suppose if I was to sum it up, I would say that a build-up or adequate measures of humic acid in garden soils is to be desired & most effectively accomplished by the regular addition of organic materials to the soil. How valuable wholesale applications of humic acid are to garden soils is probably highly variable by soil type, soil composition, and the intrinsic quality/value of the individual product at hand. It's value in containers would probably be marginal at best or go completely unnoticed, but there's nothing to stop you from trying it.

I think if you ARE to see any value in its use, it's more likely that you would see it in the gritty mix you are using, rather than the highly organic bark:peat:perlite mix (if you use that at all).

Take care.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the info everytone...And I am glad some here know exactly what my plants are planted in and what I use for fertilizers. Makes getting the answers alot easier!:-)
    Thanks again!

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

It's great. I know part of the answer so I come in to help out but then someone else comes along with more of the answer so not only do you get more information but the rest of us learn more too.

That's what I like the most about forums like this. I can help out here and there and even learn more in things I didn't know I had more to learn in.

• organic_lahela
    14 years ago

Hi, I've been using Humic/Fulvic Acid along with many organic fertilizers for years on my 5 acre coffee farm. I wouldn't go without it. As for my potted ornamentals, there's dramatic difference in growth and healthiness and more profuse blossoms. My coffee orchard has had maximum production. The plants become more resistant to drought/extreme conditions, no fungus or aphid/whiteflies attacks. My gardenia bush is so healthy! Here's a little info on Humic Fulvic acid. There's little difference in each role. Fulvic acid is water soluable and Humic used as soil amendment. Fulvic acid is the most plant-active of the humic acid compounds. It's a plant growth stimulator that increases plant metabolism, nutrient intake and improves root development. It is naturally produced in soil by composting and can rejuvenate soil. Fulvic acid is an excellent supplement to fertilizers to improve nutrient absorption. Fulvic Acid is a vital nutrient for soil bacteria like Mycorrhizae. Mycorrhizae boosts the plant root system and helps plants absorb much more nutrients.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

I think that SOME of the above observations are accurate under certain conditions, but most of it cannot be applied across the board. As I mentioned above, the primary benefit in using humic/fulvic acid would be realized in SOME types of mineral soils. It's unlikely there would be any significant advantage in the highly organic (90%+) soils we use in container culture.

Al

• Shyam Saxena
    3 years ago

how much humic acid powder to be mixed in soil and organic compost for containers plantation