Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minichopper4me

What's wrong with my peppers?

MiniChopper4Me
10 years ago

My pepper plants are looking sick and I was hoping someone could help me diagnose/fix the issue.

They are in 5-1-1 and are in 4 gallon limestone cast pots (I'm guessing limestone and plastic mixed, they are too light to be pure limestone)

Charlie

I'm including pics of both a newly planted pepper, which isn't sick, and pictures of several plants which are for comparison.

Comments (14)

• MiniChopper4Me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same leaf, backside

• MiniChopper4Me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The whole plant

• MiniChopper4Me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Baby pepper that is exhibiting the same symptoms

• MiniChopper4Me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sprayed them down 2 days ago with baking soda and water (1 tablespoon/1 gallon) thinking it looks like a bacterial/fungal problem, but so far no sign of improvement. I've tried to see if the discoloration rubs off, but it doesn't readily.

Any advise?

Charlie

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Well, Charlie, where are these located?
    Indoors, or out? Greenhouse? Have nights been below 50ðF?
    Did you add Lime to your 5-1-1? How are you fertilizing? How often are you watering?

At this point, my peppers are either compost or sitting indoors in a bright window.

Josh

• MiniChopper4Me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The peppers are outdoors, no greenhouse. They're on the roof of the building six stories up. I used a little more than the recommended amount of lime for the 5-1-1, knowing it was for peppers. I've been watering every four days with water dosed with 1/4 strength FP and TekT mixed in. The tank is lightproofed to not allow algae to grow.

They each had several peppers which have been consumed and were great, but I was hoping I could keep them alive for another batch.

The weather just last night hit 69F, otherwise its been in the 70's and 80's. Its been excessively windy, but the peppers have been relatively sheltered from both the wind and direct sunlight because of shade provided by mangoand lychee mini-trees.

Charlie

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Dolomitic Lime, yes?

I hope someone else chimes in. I wonder if this could be fertilizer burn?

Josh

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think maybe your spray did more harm than good.
    As I look at the condition of the leaves in the second photo, they seem to be affected by the spray. One of the drawbacks of the home made sprays is that they often result in killing the plants. The best method is to test on few select leaves before applying to the whole plant.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

It's probably Phytophthora blight or some kind of wilt. Fungicides only prevent it, not eradicate. So best to dispose of plants, and dirt. Sterilize pot with a bleach solution. Did the plants stay wet for awhile? Try to keep water off of leaves in the future. You may want to use a preventative for your next crop.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 18:30

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I understand from your other post about the Meyer Lemon that you grow these on a condo roof six stories up in Miami Beach. The pictures look a little like fertilizer burn to me, more than a fungal disease. If you were growing at ground level, I might consider pesticide drift. In Miami Beach, I wonder if you could be getting salt spray? Or pollution of some kind? I also think I read that you moved these to 5-1-1 in September, and problems occurred after that. I'm not sure why you added extra lime to the mix. I have been growing peppers for three summers in 5-1-1 made basically according to Al's recipe with 1 tablespoon of dolomitic lime per gallon of mix. They have done very well in my Ohio garden. I'm just throwing some ideas out. I'm sorry, I really don't know how to diagnose your problem.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I have seen a lot of nitrogen burn as I have a dog. Leaf edges usually are brown, not interior of leaves. But I suppose it's possible. Over or under watering too, but usually tips are brown from that. High Miami humidity, I still think it's fungal. You could take a leaf to your county extenion office, or any private nursery and they will tell you what is wrong. Put it in a plastic bag as soon as you go.
    It's worth figuring out and then you know how to proceed, and stop it from happening again. Then let us know what it is!

• MiniChopper4Me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't used anything other than Foliage Pro mixed with water at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon for fertilizer, with the requisite bit of Osmocote mixed in to the 5-1-1.

They did and do get wet, sometimes for days in a row because of the weather here. Really not much I can do to prevent that other than bring them indoors when it looks like rain. I'm going to take a sample to the local county extension office and see what they think. Looking at some of the UF studies on pepper issues in the state, I'm thinking this may be TMV :(

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

You could probably use sulfur in the future, organic and will help prevent infection. I doubt it's TMV, but yeah let us know what they say! I'm sure the extension office will give you suggestions.
    I myself use some heavy stuff as I often have it out to prevent scab, brown rot, or peach leaf curl on my fruit trees. So if the plants are listed as treatable, they get a dose too, tomatoes, peppers etc. So I usually have zero fungus problems. I grow mine from seed as some many cultivars are only avaliable in seed form.

And I agree, you are not fertilizing too much. That's not any type of burn damage. Peppers love fertilizer!! I myself use organic. I also use chemical but not for peppers. I think overall organic fertilizers are awesome. Not that good in pots, but in gardens they rule! Chemical fertilizers leach out too quickly to be very useful in ground. Except for turf, which eats it up. I use both for grass.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 23:30

• MiniChopper4Me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew, what do you do with the sulfur? Mix it in with the soil or dilute with water and foliar spray?

Charlie