Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Sieve for Turface (Al's Gritty Mix)?

Posted by greendale 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 13:39

I built a soil sieve to screen the turface using insect screen and some wood. But it collapsed after a couple times. (I am not good at building things). I come across the following 2 soil sieves on internet, do they serve the purpose to screen articles less then 1/16" (or is it 1/8")? I do not know what the number (4, 5 and 10 mesh) means. Or there is a better product that I did not know about (for this purpose?)

Here is the link

Soil Sieve 1

Soil Sieve 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Sieve for Turface (Al's Gritty Mix)?

"mesh" sizes of 3 1/2 to 400 are designated by the number of openings per linear inch in the sieve.

4 mesh = 0.187 inch = 4.75 mm
10 mesh = 0.075 inch = 2 mm

4 mesh particle sized wouldn't pass though a 5 mesh cause 4 mesh is bigger than 5 mesh... Metric sizes reflect apx. the biggest particle sizes passing though the screen in millimeters.

I may of said what doesn't pass though backwards

Personal preference I dont favor the ones you posted in link

o

See if these may work for you.. i posted these for Conrado. I like to use strainers for Turface. Strainers are available in Walmarts HD. and Targets in the kitchen section.. Works great.. I scoop the Turface, sift and collect the fines for sowing seeds and then place the sifted Turface in Five gallon bins with a lid for usage later..

Here is the link below.....
Take care,

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: what is better : top watering , self-watering or bottle type drip

o

I use the same rectangular one as Laura, also from Wal Mart.Works great! And one similar to the other she posted a pic of for the fines.
Below is a link to a thread I posted awhile back with a sieve I got for the 3/8".

And I have a small set with one in it for the 1/2" if I chose.

JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for Sieve

This post was edited by jojosplants on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 8:19

o

mrlike2u - thanks for the explanation -"by the number of openings per linear inch in the sieve. " - how come 4 mesh = 0.187 inch? should it be 1/4 = 0.25 inch?
Laura/Jojo - thanks for the tip of kitchen strainer, it would be cheaper too.

o

how come 4 mesh = 0.187 inch? should it be 1/4 = 0.25 inch?

Each thickness of wire spread out in each linear inch also occupies space. If given is an equal size of thickness of all wires in each linear inch a rough estimate would be # 3 1/2 mesh could equal 0.25 inch.

o

right, forgot the thickness of the wire. Thanks mrlike2u.

o

What mesh size would be equivalent to a 1/8"?

o

mrlike2u, is there a reason why the metal soil sieves are not favorable?

http://www.amazon.com/Soil-Sieve-Stainless-Steel-diameter/dp/B0007P4JAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371168454&sr=8-1&keywords=soil+sieve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here