Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need your plant stand ideas

Posted by xanthoria 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 14:03

We have a slate patio with many potted plants on it. The slate was installed incorrectly (a vent for another day) but the net result is that we must keep our pots off the slate to allow it to dry.

We have a few plant stands (wrought iron) left by the previous owner, but I cannot find any in the same design despite endless online searches.

Can anyone suggest a place that sells iron plant stands (single pot style) in a very plain design (no scrolls etc) or another means of keeping the pots at least an inch or two off the slate? Like those little terracotta feet for pots? Or something even more clever and inexpensive?

We have hundreds of pots to raise up... nice iron stands are too expensive to do all at once!

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need your plant stand ideas

Try K-Mart, Walmart or Target..Right now most of the large stores like Home Depot and Lowe's probably have their garden stores taken over by Christmas or holiday decorations,trees,etc. You might have to wait until mid January or Feb. for those big stores to put their patio furniture, and gardening supplies back out.

o

The least expensive supports I've seen are plastic, with (I think) a 1.5" rise for $5 (12" or smaller pots): http://plantstandinc.com/ordering.html

They are also available on Amazon, probably at about the same price.

For $10, you can get a black metal stand with a 15" rise -- "Garden Treasures". The legs curl up at the bottom but the only other scrolling is pretty much hidden under the pot. On the Lowes website(I can't get the link to work.)

o

I use stove grates or plastic drain covers. Look them up on Google images if you're not sure what they are. I find them at thrift stores, swap meets, in dumpsters and on the curb on trash day. Habitat (for humanity) Restore sells the stove grates for 50¢ each here. They probably have drain covers too. There are Restores popping up everywhere, so check online for them. Ask the question over on the Garden Junk forum and you'll probably get more ideas than you could ever use that cost little or nothing. Linda

o

stove grates! perfection! :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here