Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Christmas Tree for Porch Pots

Posted by parkhouse NC (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 14:33

Can anyone suggest the type of live evergreen I can put in porch pots next to the front door that can stay there year round and donn't get taller than 3 - 4 feet. We live in coastal NC. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Christmas Tree for Porch Pots

The main issue you'll face is that very few conifers will stay that small.
Even so-called "dwarf" conifers are only considered such when compared to their
larger relatives. For example, a dwarf redwood might still grow to be 200 feet tall.

What you will need are mini conifers, which will still need to be tended periodically.
Mini conifers, in general, fetch a higher price and are usually grafted. Also, they are
very slow growing (in order to stay within the size requirement), so you may not have
that instant gratification. In other words, you can't plop a full-sized Christmas tree
into a pot and expect it to stay that way. If you don't mind changing the tree out,
and replacing it with something in a few years, then your choices become much broader.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 9:32

I think too, that your USDA zone is going to eliminate the lion's share of good possibilities. What zone are you? It's good to include that tidbit in your user info so we can better help you.

Al

o

dwarf blue spruce, though they will get to about 7 feet eventually, and will probably get root bound in a container. Also they will sometimes revert back to their original genetics, creating a very odd looking tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here