Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355114

Anything You Wanna Talk About IV (Prolly mostly OT)

Just a continuation of a series thread to gather and talk about whatever ...... like the last one. It doesn't necessarily have to be about plants - there are plenty of threads devoted to that.

Al

Comments (149)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yah!!!!!!

I was wondering the same thing Jodik! How does Josh do it?!

Just goes to show you that Josh can do anything with Orchids, AND SO CAN YOU Jodik! Even in a dry home:-)
    Yahoo, you can do it!

Mike:-)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Good evening!

Mike and Jodi, thanks for the kind words ;-)
    A coarse bark mix, lots of water, fertilizer, and a sunny window-sill...that's really all I do.
    Mike was a bit worried about the surface roots, so I went ahead and watered for him, hahaha ;-)

Before and after, roots:

{{gwi:54151}}

{{gwi:54152}}

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Men vs women

WHY MEN ARE SELDOM DEPRESSED:
    Men are just happier people.
    What do you expect -
    Your last name stays put. The garage is all yours. Wedding plans take care of themselves. Chocolate is just another snack. You can be President. You can never be pregnant. You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park. You can wear NO shirt to a water park. Car mechanics tell you the truth. The world is your urinal. You never have to drive to another gas station restroom because this one is just too icky. You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt. Same work, more pay. Wrinkles add character. Wedding dress $3,500. Tux rental $75. People never stare at your chest when you're talking to them. New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet. One mood all the time. Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat. You know stuff about tanks.
    A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase. You can open all your own jars. You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness. If someone forgets to invite you, he or she can still be your friend. Your underwear is $6.95 for a three-pack. Three pairs of shoes are more than enough. You almost never have strap problems in public. You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes. Everything on your face stays its original colour. The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades. You only have to shave your face and neck. You can play with toys all your life.
    One wallet and one pair of shoes -- one colour for all seasons. You can wear shorts no matter how your legs look. You can 'do' your nails with a pocket knife. You have freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache. You can do Christmas shopping for 25 relatives on December 24 in 25 minutes.
    No wonder men are happier.

NICKNAMES
    � If Sheila, Candy and Sarah go out for lunch, they will call each other Sheila, Candy and Sarah.
    � If Mike, Dave and John go out, they will affectionately refer to each other as Fat Boy, Bubba and Wildman.

EATING OUT
    � When the bill arrives, Mike, Dave and John will each throw in $20, even though it's only for $32.50. None of them will have anything smaller and none will actually admit they want change back.
    � When the girls get their bill, outcome the pocket calculators.

MONEY
    � A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
    � A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.

BATHROOMS
    � A man has six items in his bathroom: toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel.
    � The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify more than 20 of these items.

ARGUMENTS
    � A woman has the last word in any argument.
    � Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

FUTURE
    � A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
    � A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

MARRIAGE
    � A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.
    � A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change, but she does.

DRESSING UP
    � A woman will dress up to go shopping, water the plants, empty the trash, answer the phone, read a book, and get the mail.
    � A man will dress up for weddings and funerals.

NATURAL
    � Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
    � Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

OFFSPRING
    � A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends, favourite foods, secret fears and hopes and dreams.
    � A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

LOL, Rina!

Josh, I'm a little worried because it looks to me like the bark is beginning to break down in the middle of the pot of my Den... the pot is opaque, so I can see the medium. It appears to stay wet beyond it's time. I'm just worried that it will harm the roots down in there, and I can see some roots circling the top near the surface. What would you do? Would you wait until spring to re-pot? Or would you risk it now?

{{gwi:54153}}

It's the little Dendrobium behind the taller Ansellia. It's been in the same mix for 2 years. I value your opinion. Mike thinks I should wait... I just don't want to lose this little guy... I've actually had him a few years, managed to keep him alive, and last season, he gave me two buds... even though one dropped.

What does everyone think? I'm open to suggestions. Am I just panicking? Should I wait?

11 years ago

Good question, Jodi!

I think that I, too, would wait for warmer weather and stronger sunlight....
    but it's probably not a bad idea to do something like add a wick or maybe poke some
    extra holes in the container (similar to what you see on orchid pots).

I will tell you this: I received my orchid on November 15th, packed in soggy sphagnum moss.
    It wasn't drying out after three weeks. So, sometime before December 21st (that's when I have
    an image of the orchid in the new mix), I root-pruned and re-potted. It saved the orchid, no doubt.

I also wanted to add that my orchid is blooming at least a month earlier than it did last year.
    I didn't have this much bud development until the second week of January.

Josh

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, Josh... I will try to be patient! LOL!

I suppose I could have the husband drill a few holes into the hard plastic of the pot... maybe that will help it dry out a bit more. A wick is also a good idea.

Thanks so much! I just don't want to lose this cute little guy... he was just a keiki when I got him! I'm actually kind of shocked he's still alive!

A different view, sort of...

{{gwi:54154}}

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I trust Mike's opinions, and his knowledge... don't get me wrong! Mike grows some gorgeous orchids and other rather difficult to culture plant material, and he does such a fabulous job with everything, and I do trust and value his advice! I just kind of wanted a second opinion... I panicked, and I'm second guessing myself! LOL!

A few weeks ago, when I was going through all the bulbs, re-potting and getting rid of dead items and unnecessary pots of soil, I noticed that the Ansellia's roots didn't look all that great, so I gave it fresh medium, seeing that it's only in a 2" pot. I also used a little dusting of Captan anti-fungal on its root ends, just in case. It seems to be doing fine, now.

But I'm hesitant to do anything with the Den, just because I have such terrible growing conditions to deal with. It's so dry, the humidity level is always low, and the temperature can change drastically due to the type of heating and cooling we have. Basically, my plants live in an east window directly across the room from the AC unit and the propane wall heater. The only saving grace to this situation are two ceiling fans that run constantly to keep air moving around the one large room of our small apartment. Oh, and what little extra light they get from two shop light units I have suspended above the plant alcove.

So, as horrid as this situation is for optimal plant growth, I'm trying my hardest to keep everything happy and healthy.

I think I'll go with the wick suggestion, and see if there's any excess moisture hanging up in the pot, and I'll wait until spring to change out the medium. I'll just keep a close eye on it, and if anything changes, I'll panic again, and come ask you guys for more advice!

Thanks, you guys! I'm just panicking, I know, not wanting to lose this little guy. He's trying so hard to hang in there, growing in such cruddy conditions! The bulbs don't mind so much, but it's not exactly a haven for happy orchid growing, if you know what I mean!

Have a great evening, everyone! (the keys on my keyboard to make a smiley face are broken, but I am smiling!) Maybe "Santa" will bring me a new keyboard! This one has seen much better days!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey everyone, just checking in.\

Al thanks for the info alhough I couldn't read much info on it nor what would cure it. So I went ahead and bought a fungicide called 'Fung-onil' and a systemic one called ' Infuse'..That along with Neem oil should be enough to help me prevent further damage during the winter.

Jodik, I tend to trust Josh's opinion more than my own!
    If it were mine I would still get it into a better mix so it would make it through the winter. At least this way, if for some reason I loose any bud set, at least I won't loose the plant. It's not the first time I have had to repot and orchid at this time with no issues, but it is not the best of times either.
    It;s one of those things in which the 'I don't care' attitude would pop up.lol

Josh!Josh! Nice! I LOVE that orchid and always have buddy! It is a special one and boy does it look great. You have been a true orchid friend and help and I appreciate that.
    I love the way the roots look after a nice soak. That is what Jodik plans on doing. Soaking her orchids in warm water, once she gets it situated in a much better mix!
    Don't you just love the way the roots green up after a good soaking Josh? I love it.

Jodik. did I tell you how much I like your set-up!? Boy, talk about a room with a view:-)

Rina..You are too funny. Thanks for the laugh..lol

60 yesterday and 50's today. I'll take that. Sprayed the trees my sister dropped off at my home that are in much need of love. I also flushed the pots out if you can't tell they needed it. Look at the massive leaf loss, fruit hanging on and the salt deposits! Poor things..lol

{{gwi:54155}}

{{gwi:54156}}

{{gwi:54157}}

{{gwi:54158}}

OH YES!! I am very excited about this friends...Look at my jade in FULL bloom. I am so excited..:-)

{{gwi:54159}}

{{gwi:54160}}

And another favorite I hope to get to flower next year!

{{gwi:54161}}

{{gwi:54162}}

Have a good nigh all and to Jojo..Much love to all from Mom and I.

Mike

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Mike: It looks a-lot like two army's of Argentina ants had a blast with that citrus trees' foliage. Nice Jade in flower welcome to the N.E. jade flowering club. I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing blooms on the variegated Jade it too looks really good.

Jodi: Horses are my second choice in all time favorite Even when seen in in pics is to admire them for all they can do I know is it is difficult to draw them, as well as it is to care for them financially long story short they are still better and more enjoyable than owning a boat.

JoJo: Strength hopes and prayer for you and your family.

Rina: Man cave jokes, even though they are all funny and are told best by you I think you might not want to be in the real "man cave."

Josh:

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

PART2 when we get a way to report bugs to GW I can tell them when the edit feature is out of order

Josh: RE it's an older pic but it's a true miniature terrestrial type of orchard. To water it I just drop it in a bigger bowl of water and remove it about an hour later in a week or so I do the same thing. No doubt I am not the best container gardener out here but with out any questions if it or any other plant I have seems to present a problem with keeping a certain pace at growing and doesn't have a quick solution in the existing pot and soil ... the mix in the pot is out and planting would be re-potted in a new mix.
    I offer this idea as a solution because I also didn't originate a thought: If there is a problem with the plant 96 % of the time the problem is the ???? Soil
    We can quickly rule out or remedy the other 4 % if the problems are sun/lighting, pest or if over/under watering timely feeding ect...

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Jojo...Now it's your turn! Had to run out last night...

How's hubby these days? Did the appointment go well? You know you are in our prayers here. Been thinking a lot of you these days. Mom sends many hugs your way and if there is anything we can do to help, please ask:-)

It's so good to see you back and helping many out here. It's also wonderful to read your posts again in which many missed dearly.

Get back to me, us, ok?

Hey Wes..That looks like some miniature sort of Vandia? I love it pal. You're doing a great job with it. I wonder if its flowers are fragrant?
    Lol., you are too funny with the ants..lol

Mike

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Hey, guys! Thanks for the extra advice! I really appreciate it!

When I see roots at the surface of a pot, any pot, circling the wagons, so to speak... well, I tend to worry a bit. I know orchids aren't like most plants, in that air roots are normal... but even so. It kind of makes me wonder why those roots are growing up top, looking for air. There should be plenty of fresh oxygen to be had below the medium surface, given the type of mix it's in.

And, given the type of mix it's in, that makes me think the center area of medium is beginning to break down a bit. Two years is probably long enough, and since the pot is opaque, I can kind of see what's going on... at least more toward the outer limits of medium, and that's looking a little past its prime, though still holding onto some structure.

From all this, I can deduce that medium is definitely the issue, and a change of medium is the solution. The only question is... when? By wicking it now, I can see how much moisture is hanging up, and that will tell me if I should dive in now, or wait until spring.

You guys have been most helpful, thank you!

Mike, I love that blooming Jade, and that variegated Jade... wow! I know you can bring that one to bloom, too! They look like little trees with sturdy trunks! It's not often one sees a Jade in cultivation blooming, which means it's incredibly happy with its present situation! Great job, Mike!

And I know you can fix that citrus. You'll probably have it looking really nice way before spring ever gets here! Is it insect damage? Or do you think it's just salt accumulation and other issues? This is prime time for spider mites to take hold, and it looks like a little dust or mineral accumulation on the leaves... but that could just be how the light hits it in the photos, too. I can't really tell. It does have fruit, though, so... and I'm certainly no citrus expert! I'd say it's in capable hands!

Mrlike2u, that looks like a... Neofinetia? Is that correct? There are so many orchid types, it's often difficult to pin it down to an exact name. It sure looks healthy, though, and if it IS a neofinetia, it's in a medium they're not often grown in, as I normally see them in more mossy circumstances. But many are very small in stature, and often potted in what appear to be bonsai type pots, so that's why I'm guessing it's a neofinetia. It looks nice in the fir bark medium!

The thing that blows my mind about Josh's Cattleya is that it looks so perfect in normal household conditions! Every pseudobulb and leaf looks hydrated, fed, and totally content... and the roots are plump and happy, which is often a concern in normal household conditions. And it's got buds, as if it were languishing somewhere in a rain forest where it wants to be! The man has skills!

Every orchid I've ever gotten has come in looking that way, and in short order they're gasping their last breaths! I have concluded that the atmosphere is simply too dry to keep many types happy, but those that can tolerate a bit of dry in the humidity department will do alright if I keep a close eye on moisture and medium.

Knowing when to water is important, but using a larger particled medium helps take the sting out of that part, and offers a much larger window for error.

It's funny... people are always telling me how Phals are the easiest orchids to grow in the home... and every single one I've had has succumbed to one error or another in my hands. I did once bring a small Phal to bloom, but it died shortly afterward.

Epidendrums and Encyclias were also offered as easier to culture in a home environment, but I didn't have success with those, either. This tiny Dendrobium, and the Ansellia, are the only two I've managed to keep going.

I attribute their lives to the Gritty Mix, mainly... they do seem to thrive in it! But it must be freshened in good order, as is apparent by my present situation.

It's under control, and I thank you all for your offered advice... you've all been most helpful! It's not unusual for me to second guess myself at times, though I don't normally panic. This little Den is special, though, and I really don't want it to die. It was gift, and I've managed to keep it going for a few years, which is a feat in itself given the conditions I'm forced to work with! I would like to succeed, and bring it to bloom again... and I think that's entirely possible.

I have yet to set up a little water feature, which I think will help, if only a tiny bit. Procrastination is the only thing holding me back! I just have to ask the old guy to drill a hole in the ceramic pot I've been saving for the project. I have all the other pieces ready to go... the tiny pump, the tubing, the rocks and gravel, etc...

Oh! I nearly forgot! About a year or so ago, I was generously gifted with a Gloriosa corm. Since I have to keep it indoors during inclement weather, it has no choice but to sit in the plant alcove among everything else. I had thought it expired due to my inexperience with them, but lo and behold! It's putting forth a shoot right now! I'm shocked! It's about 8" tall, growing in a gallon nursery pot! I have a tall stake ready to support it.

Gloriosa, December 2012...
    {{gwi:54163}}

And, "Minerva", the bulb, is sturdily growing a gorgeous scape and several leaves! I'm so excited, and can't wait to see her in all her glory! I need to take more pictures, I think, so I can share her growth!

Got it done! Here she is!
    {{gwi:54164}}

Mike, I love the view here, myself... there's nothing nicer than waking up to the sun shining in, and looking out the window to see horses and goats grazing the pasture, or the occasional deer making their way across the field. Sometimes, you can even catch a glimpse of coydogs, coyotes, or fox running along the far fence line. The view out of all our windows is actually pretty nice, when you consider that we're located on a corner, out in the middle of nowhere!

It's tough to get a good photograph when the sun is coming in, but I tried...
    {{gwi:54165}}

And, looking up...
    {{gwi:54166}}

If you ignore the dust on lower shelves, and please do, this is my little alcove for plants and potting in more detail...
    {{gwi:54168}}

{{gwi:54171}}

Okay... I think I got them all in. That's it for this morning... Rosie is waiting to go out, and I have to get moving for the day...

I want to thank you guys again for the opinions and advice. It's very helpful, really! Here's to a great day for everyone! Talk at everyone later! (a big smile, and a wave to Mom!)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

mrLike

now you got me interested...is it possible to share some (I probably shouldn't ask!!!) secrets from the real man-cave?...Rina

11 years ago

Wow, great pics Jodi...that's quite a plant alcove!
    Minerva is really looking fat and happy, like a nesting hen ;-)

You guys are going to give me a big head with all the compliments, hehe. A broad spectrum
    of plants seem to enjoy my location, despite the dry conditions in Winter...and most of it has to do
    with having enough sunlight, I think.

For your Orchid, certainly examine the roots...to put your mind at ease. If the roots are in poor health,
    re-pot now. If the roots are fine, but the bark is degrading, use the wick as a test (as you mentioned).

Mike, your Jades are blooming so nicely!
    You have more blooms on one branch than I have on all three of my blooming Jades combined! ;-D
    And I've never gotten my Citrus to bloom the way yours do. One day maybe I'll get there, hehe.
    Where on earth are you going to rehabilitate these trees?!

Wes, that's a sweet little ground Orchid.
    I saturate my container the same way - setting the whole pot in slightly warm water until the mix
    is heavy with moisture. I love the look of bright bark as a backdrop to the green and white roots.

Al and JoJo, Rina, Laura, hello to you, too! :-D

Josh

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Rina: Man cave secrets would of never been answered anyways but as you said in italics I can now say..... Your right you probably shouldn't of asked.
    It's only because of your sense of humor I gracefully add if your certain the automatic wrinkle guard sensor self timed 22Ov appliance ate those soaks while the men where all present in the man cave you might want to think again.

Jodi: Your indoor jungle is looking nice I see a few neat clean ready to go pots all nicely stacked in corner but what dust ? Thoughtful of you to try an ID results are in and sorry. No but I will certainly be adding one or two them to my must get plants very nice and graceful. As a certain ID Neofinetia ( I think you knew ) would be easy to catch my eye

Mike: If ants made you laugh or me telling you about ants make you laugh means you know than your saying about ants. It's good that we don't let them bug us to much and it's always good to laugh about things we know about.
    I already know you are a fragrant flower fan not just yours but in any garden Yet not to disappoint you, but what if it wasn't fragrant ? Either way and trying to be fair it isn't a Vandia.
    Although it is still doing well as you mentioned I think Rina who's still trying to decode the secret meanings behind the man cave language still wants a little prof.

Some kind of Tolumnia orchid in pic taken today to show that it is ....

In focus

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Boy! I'm gone for a day or 2 and look at all the reading to catch up on! I'm enjoying it all!

Gosh.. Where to start!?!

Thank you all for your kind words, and support! Al~Josh~Jodi~Mike~Laura~Mrlike2u... It means the world to me! I say that with all my heart! Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. A lot busy and a little down.

Our appointment Monday did not go as well as hoped, but we are keeping a positive attitude, as best we can. DH is in fairly good spirits.
    Josh~ Thanks for asking. :-) Hubby is just starting to get around and work on little things around here. I'm going to have to give him a chores list too! I'm not around much these days and if he's gonna be hanging around I'm putting him to work! LOL!
    A shelf for plants in my "mom cave" for starters! lol..
    I'm exhausted to be honest with you. It has been good and helpful in a lot of ways to be back here though. I have Mike and mom to thank for the extra push I needed. :-)

Mike.. your sweet to offer to help.. Just knowing I have such a wonderful friend and loving mom helps more than you could imagine. :-)

Laura~ We'll chat soon..I'll email you.. :-) and I know I need to get caught up with my twin too. ;-) xoxox...

Well...Jodi~ (you know it still seems funny to see my name when talking to you. lol ) Your plant area looks great! I have 2 of the little green shelves/greenhouses that you have and love them! Need to make a new cover for one though. some dummy left the plastic out all summer. lol...

Mrlike~ I love the little plant/orchid and the pot it is in. :-)
    Josh~ so excited to see yours about to bloom again! The only thing I know about these plants is how to kill them fast! lol... Tried 2 and they didn't last long. :-)

I've been trying to keep busy to keep sanity.. and have been working on my plant/craft room. Its almost done! My little escape! Need to put up a shelf across the south window.. organize a few more things, and bring in the soft chair!

Jodi~ looking forward to seeing "Minerva" bloom! I love your flowers!! I lost my only bulb.. but will try again later. Also enjoyed the Charlie update and horses. They are my All time love!! We have a horse at the end of the street I love to walk down and see when I need to get away.

Finger is doing better guys! Thanks! :-) I hate boo boos in dumb places! lol..

We've had 2 days of cold mornings.. and like Jodi~ I hate it! I'm ready for spring too! lol.. twins think alike. ;-) still unusually warm in the days though.

well.. I need to go for now and take care of a few things so I can call it a night. I will look in again soon.

JoJo

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Anything you wanna talk about! I have a lot but for now only I would like to do copy and patch something from the FAQ:

Top 10 Reasons That Show You're Addicted to Winter Sowing

10. You keep receiving "Get Well Soon" and "We Miss You" cards from the local Nursery due to your absence.

9. Your family's diet now consists of the 4 basic food groups of Winter Sowing; large containers, medium containers, small containers and soda bottles.

8. You are able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, just to catch the perfect container before it hits the trash basket.

7. You have caught the meter reader, the mailman and the paperboy peering into your containers looking for sprouts.

6. The stock boy at WalMart's is off on sick leave due to the hernia he received while loading your potting soil.

5. Every time you see a sprout and do the "Happy Dance" dogs run for shelter, children roll on the ground in fits of laughter and passerby drive off the road.

4. The neighbors recognize your backside before they recognize your face because you're always bent over peeping into milk jugs.

3. The decline of the stock market and the slow economy can be directly traced back to Winter Sowers not spending huge amounts of money on seed starting paraphernalia and plants from Greenhouses.

2. You have decided to name your next born "Trudi", even if it is a boy.

1. And the #1 reason you know you're addicted to Winter Sowing is that you have dirt under your nails, a smile on your face and money left over in your wallet!

Hope you enjoy this.
    April

==================================

Thank you again April for sharing this list with us....you're fabulous!

Trudi

PS....I like reason number 2 the most!

Entered by Trudi_d

I like this writing so I copied and patched here. I do not know who are these writers in fact.

Caelian

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I'm so glad the layer of dust isn't that obvious! LOL! It's such a pain to clear the shelving just to remove the layer of dust that is guaranteed to reappear the next day! It somehow makes its way upstairs through vents and window cracks, the stairwell, etc... and I would imagine the herd of dogs downstairs has something to do with it, as does living on a corner in flat, windy, dusty farm country, in a drafty old farmhouse!

We actually dust all the electronic equipment daily. No lie!

Thanks for the compliments on my little plant alcove! I like it... it's pleasant to work in, and nice to have everything handy, in one area. It makes dusting and window cleaning difficult, but plant care easy! LOL!

Mrlike2u - A Tolumnia! Aha! After guessing Neofinetia, I checked out Ebay, as I often do, looking at their orchid offerings... and I see that Tolumnia and a few other types have a similar form. It's a neat little orchid... that's for sure! What do the flowers look like?

Josh - You do such a nice job with plants... I have yet to see anything you grow look not up to par! Mike's plants, too! And Laura's, and too many others'! You guys are consummate growers! Is that a south window the Catt is in?

I did a little reading on Dens, and I learned that mine might need cooler temperatures to really set good buds... I'm wondering if I should move it to the south window towards the end of summer, when the leaves fall off the Sycamores outside that window... it's something to consider, anyway. From late spring to fall, the southern exposure is blocked by those trees. East gives me the most light during such time, but it is warmer. South is in the stairwell, with an outer doorway underneath.

JoJo - I know how rare the chances of meeting someone with our name is! I'm glad you're JoJo and I'm Jodi... eliminating some confusion! Of course, I could always just go by Hag... that's what the old guy calls me... which is why everyone calls him Old Guy! LOL!

I think if it weren't for Lupus, my bones would tolerate the cold a little better. I swear, I seize up when it gets cold, and I don't completely thaw out until spring! I hate it! It's painful, with a constant high level ache, and the shape my spine is in doesn't help. You should see the x-rays... you'd freak out! The human neck curves in one direction... mine curves the other way. It's gross to look at, in the x-rays, and it's painful to live with!

Ah, I can't really complain that much... I've got a great doctor, a great chiropractor, and a great husband that does deep tissue massage and accu-pressure to help alleviate some of the pain and keep me in one piece! I'm really lucky, when you think about it! I could just keep falling apart! LOL!

Last night, Rosie slept on top of me half the night, and I had to keep pushing her off my legs! I woke up about 2 am with the worst charlie horses in both calves and feet! My toes were all curled up and tight, the ligaments out of place... it was horrid! I... or my immune system... seems to be attacking my muscles and ligaments, too, now!

So, I haven't slept much, I'm up 2 pots of coffee, and I think the caffeine is the only thing holding me upright! LOL!

I'm so looking forward to seeing this "Minerva" bloom! It's a gifted replacement for my old one, which succumbed to narcissus bulb fly. I'm so thrilled to have this, I can't tell you! I'm so thankful! She's going to be beautiful, I know! I take a photo or two every few days to log her growth... and she's doing good. I'd like to place her closer to the window, but I'd have to bump other bulbs that are smaller and need the light. She's doing great, though... and will be a wonderful source of joy when in bloom!

I plan to self her, or pollinate her to herself, which will produce seed pods with hundreds of seeds, hopefully! I'd love to share them! Easy to germinate and grow, and only 2-3 years from seed to bloom!

Take your time with email, JoJo... we're just glad to have you with us! And I'm sure I can say that we all wish you guys well, and are thinking about you, sending positive vibes and prayers. All we can do is keep pushing forward, one day at a time... that's how we survive. We try not to let it all overwhelm us. Every day is new and open to great possibility... and I think it helps to let some of the negative stuff just roll off our shoulders. Take deep breaths often, enjoy the sunshine, and smile just because.

Sometimes, I feel totally defeated by life, JoJo... but there's also so much good around me that that's what I grab and hold onto.... my kids, my grandkids, my old guy, my great friends, my dogs, and my gardening, my plants... the love is overwhelming, and that's what I let wash over me. It sustains me, fills me up, and keeps me moving forward! You have it, too, my sister... you have that all around you. Let it in, so it can take the place of anything negative! (huge smile and hugs!) We DO have the inner power to lift ourselves above it all!

Winter sowing is something I've never done... though those are funny top ten reasons, Chilliwin! The local folks around here know me by my barn boots and gardening gloves, which I always seem to be wearing when we need to run to town for anything! Do I feel funny walking in a store that way, wearing milk house boots, garden gloves, with my hair all piled up on top my head? Not in the least! What's worse is... I probably smell like a kennel or a goat farm! LOL!

Okay... I must get moving and get my chores done... have a great day, everyone!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't get here as often as I used to. Thought I'd better check in & say hey, and wish everyone who's ailing, better times ahead.

It's weird - I never open the mail at work, but today I did. We got a Christmas card from our attorney. Inside, it said, "I wish you, but in no way guarantee you, a Merry Christmas."

Al

• lindasewandsew
    11 years ago

This is a great thread. I want all the flowers, and love the jokes and the photos of men being inventive. It's amazing what stupid things people get away with so many times, then when they get killed doing it, everyone around them are surprised by it.

Here's a bottle Christmas tree I made in the front yard. I tried a few strings of lights without good results, but will keep trying. Linda

{{gwi:54173}}

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Hello Jodic,

I have some problems with my plants and I was looking for some information to control the PH level in soil and to find out the possible root causes of my plants� problems. Normally I like to use simple and available materials to solve the problems, some kinds of home remedy.

I do Google to get some information but the links sent me to this site again and again, then I end up here. This forum is too big and it has a lot of educational and practical information, it is beyond my imagination.

Then I found the FAQ of this forum. I was reading thread by thread, some of them I saved in my clips for reference and future reading. When I read this "Top 10 Reasons That Show You're Addicted to Winter Sowing" it made me LOL. I have been doing Winter Sowing since last few months and it also reminds me one of my family members. Then I copied and patched here.

I would like to talk/ask about container gardening. However I have to read the available information in this forum first before I start talking. Otherwise I may be repeated the same questions again and again. I have been learning a lot from our respectable gardeners here. Now I remember some of the names who are contributing a great value to this forum too.

I really enjoy the uploaded pictures and the way people express their feelings on different ways.
    Enjoy your times everyone :))

Sincere regards,
    Caelian

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Very nice and creative Christmas Tree. How many hours it took to build it? How many bottles you used? Just I am curious.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Jodi: Smaller than a manicured pinky finger nail

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Now is that an average nail or extra long one like my acrylic nails? ;-) jk...
    That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Great picture to catch such detail on such a little flower!!
    Is it fragrant?

I think the macro setting on my camera is about to kick the bucket. sigh....:-(

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

LOL, Al! Even legalese at Christmas, eh?! It IS humorous, though!

I like the blue bottle Christmas tree... hmm, I wonder if there is any way you could get one tiny white light bulb from those mini-light strings inside the neck of each bottle as you're putting it together, maybe with a little piece of tape? That would make quite a lighted display! It looks great now, though!

Mrlike2u - they remind me a little of mini Oncid blooms... but much smaller! They're beautiful!

Chilliwin - you'd have to ask Al or Josh about Ph... that is, unfortunately, not my area of expertise. However, I CAN direct to you the first source I would read for the basics in container growing. Look in this forum, the Container Gardening Forum, for a thread written by Tapla, entitled "Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention XV". That is, in my opinion, the best starting point to learning.

When I mixed my last batches of Gritty Mix, all I added was a sprinkling of Osmocote, a teaspoon or less of prilled Gypsum per large bucket-load... and once potted, the plants or bulbs got a bit of a granular systemic to ward off insects.

I don't worry so much about Ph. I'd go nuts trying to maintain perfection in all these pots. But since my medium is more inorganic, I would think the water would be the source of any Ph difficulty, should I have any, and that's where I'd begin any testing or adjusting. If you're using a bagged soil, that might not be the case.

My medium consists of fir bark, granite chips, turface, coarse perlite, tiny bits of Osmocote and gypsum... all screened to remove dust/fine particles, or pieces that are too large. Consistency is one of the keys.

I also do a little custom mixing due to my incredibly dry indoor conditions, as in adding a handful of high quality potting mix for a bit of additional moisture retention. Some might think that defeats the whole purpose of the medium... and ordinarily, it would... but I need that extra retention in some pots.

Personally, I've found that the industry does not offer consumers what plants need in the way of mediums, and it's better to begin at square one, locate my own ingredients, and mix my own medium custom to my growing conditions... which will differ from anyone else's. It offers me a wider margin for error in watering, holds its structure longer, and requires less disturbing less often for re-potting purposes.

To make a long story shorter... any Ph issues I might have would most likely be attributed to the water I use, and not to the soil... because it's basically inorganic... so I try to use water that comes directly from our well, bypassing any water softener or other source that would be changed on its way to the faucet. If I had a holding tank or barrel, I'd collect rain water, bring it indoors in gallon jugs, and allow it to come to ambient room temperature before using it.

As far as plant nutrition goes, everyone seems to like Foliage Pro fertilizer. Since I don't have any right now, I use an all purpose liquid plant food weakened to about 1/4 strength, the addition of micro-nutrients, and I use this pretty much all year round. About every 4th or 5th watering, I use plain water just to flush out anything that may be accumulating. So far, so good.

Each grower's conditions and methods differ so greatly that it's often best to adjust details to fit your own conditions and methods. There really is no "one size fits all" way to grow in containers... although, using a more inorganic approach seems to even the playing field a bit, so to speak, by allowing a larger margin for error.

In the end, it all comes down to basic science and physics... just the facts. And I would say that information can be found in the aforementioned article, "Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention XV".

Hope everyone has a great day! I'm off to see what Ebay has to offer that I can't afford! LOL! Then it's out to do chores!

Happy Growing!

11 years ago

Good morning! A nice and frosty 30F here :-)

JoJo, what are the temps like in sunny Arizona?

Jodi, I didn't notice the dust at all. I guess I look past that sort of thing in an area
    with plants. I know that I'm desensitized to a few leaves here and there...

Wes, that's a real nice bloom, and so small! What time of year does yours bloom?

Caelian, great work on your Bottle Tree. Do you have other art like this in your yard?

Jodi's right about the pH of the mix itself. It's not as important as the pH of your watering
    and fertilizing solution. If you can rule out other limiting variables, such as lack of light,
    over/under watering, lack of nutrients, et cetera, the soil mix is generally the culprit to your
    root problems. It may seem that we "jump to conclusions" regarding potting soils and advising folks
    to re-pot into a proper mix, but we're playing the odds, drawing from years of experience and thousands
    of questions about plant health/soil relationship. In other words, we could dance around the issue
    and talk about light, fertilizer, misting, singing to plants, and other tertiaries....or we can
    narrow in on the most likely cause of plant decline - unhappy roots.

Josh

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

The sun forgot to come out today in Sunny Arizona! :-/

Cold! Wet! Yucky! lol.. A storm rolled in last night. And even though it's much needed rain, i'm not happy. ;-) It's just starting to let up now. And it's 50*

JoJo

• lindasewandsew
    11 years ago

The Christmas tree has about 175 bottles. It took one day to make and is on a garden obelisk. The bottles are strung on wire, which is twisted between them and hung on the tree. Here's another photo that shows more about how it's made.

Thanks for the light idea. The bottles are close enough together to do that.

There's a lot of junk in my yard, mostly works in progress, lol, but I've finished some things. You can look up my user name on the Garden Junk Forum and see photos. There's a link below.

{{gwi:54176}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk Forum

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I confess... I have peeked at your garden projects and stuff in the past, and I like a lot of it! I collect rocks, bricks, the odd piece of wood, metal or other farm item I dig up as I'm going along, and use them in little areas of the gardens, myself! I also have a small collection of old garden tools and fruit crates and items that I want to do something with one day... I just don't know what yet.

All I can add, Josh, is that happy, healthy plants begin at the roots... and I think we tend to forget that, or not think about it, when we're first beginning to delve deeply into container growing and getting everything right.

Reading Al's article helped me immensely, though... I can say that with all sincerity.

JoJo, it's cold and damp here, and I could just whine and complain all day... I'm coming down with a cold, and I feel like hammered crap, if you know what I mean! LOL! Maybe I can find a hole to crawl in until spring, do some hibernating like a bear!

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Thank you Jodik for the advice, when it is necessary I'd request to Tapla, A1 and Josh for advice. I have some writings of Tapla, Josh and others still keep reading. Some of them are very long but it worth to read and describe very well. They are very resourceful and I think they are remarkable writers too. I am collecting information for an ebook of gardening for my personal use.

Just like you mentioned.
    "To make a long story shorter... any Ph issues I might have would most likely be attributed to the water I use and not to the soil...".

Almost the same advice " Josh have replied to the thread "bhutjolokia PH & more" too.

" Here's the thing...in a container, soil pH is far less important than in the ground. What is important is the pH of the watering/fertigating solution. In the container, pH is constantly changing, depending upon moisture levels, fertility levels, and temperature."

I agreed both of your advice. It is really important to me.

I started to mix vinegar for watering, it is one of the best information I got here. Next season I will know the result of my gardening. Accordingly I should do some adjustment. I cannot copy everything what other gardeners do:)) Thank you for all these information and advice it is valuable.

Josh thank you for the advice I really appreciate.
    Sometimes I have been in this forum now I started to realize gardening is not simple as I thought before.

Thank you lindasewandsew you have done very well I have never seen such type of bottle Christmas Tree before. It looks very nice. May be the next year we may see more bottle Christmas Tree.

Caelian

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Why does Santa have 3 gardens?

So he can ho-ho-ho...................

If athletes get athletes foot, what do astronauts get?
    Missle toe...........

What do elves learn in school?

The Elf-abet!...........

What do you call a penguin in the Sahara desert?

Lost............

Original Author
    11 years ago

HI, Guys! Nice pictures & comments upthread. I really liked the orchid.

Nice to see you made it, Linda. We'll be looking for the pictures of your shed, once you get to the point you feel like sharing pictures of it. Your bottle tree rocks, too. I can see a lot of effort went into it.

Rainy day here, just above freezing. I work until noon, then go home to cook for a Christmas party at my wife's ex's. ;-) He's single, so we usually include him and his mother for holiday dinners or cookouts when the kids are here (2 of our kids are his sons). We always have a crowd, so 1 or 2 more is no burden.

I hope everyone that shops has their shopping done, or almost done, and the spirit of the season is upon you, regardless of beliefs.

Take care.

Al

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Cold , wet, yucky again today! Jodi~ I'm looking for a hole too!!!!

Haven't even started shopping and not planning on much. My heart is just not in the Holiday this year. :-( Can't even get it together to bake. :-(

Have fun cooking Al~

Mrlike~~ Too funny!!!!! Love the last one!!!! Poor little penguin! LOL!!!

Linda! I love the tree! I remember some of your posts from before I left gardenweb. What you do is amazing!! What are the blue bottles from? How long did it take to gather enough for a tree?

I have a fan from the truck that someday I will paint as a daisy, an old mailbox holds my tools, and have a toilet that I will plant someday with the hopes to annoy the Home owners association. hehehe.... Oh and old garden gloves are stuffed and hung around the yard for scarecrows so to say. lol...

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I, too, have copied and pasted Al's (tapla) articles to a file on my desktop, so I can reference the material when I need to. I sometimes go back and check medium recipes, or read about fertilizers, etc... it's handy to have.

It's rather like we tell people looking for dog trainers... and as breeders, we're asked that question a lot... find the trainer who has the best dogs, with clients who have the best dogs, in the area of training you're interested in, whether obedience, protection, or any other particular discipline, and that's who you want to consider when it comes to your dogs. The same holds true of plants... find the person that grows the best and offers advice that helps others grow the best plants... and that's who you want to direct your questions to.

Their plants tell the entire story... and in light of the fact that Al speaks publicly on the subjects, writes excellent articles, and grows amazing bonsai, I think it's safe to say that he holds an amazing amount of knowledge! Then, adjust for your own unique conditions/environment... and there you have it!

In the end, knowledge is power. Knowing the basic facts, the basics of science, of how plants grow... the vast differences between growing in the ground and growing in containers... will net you the best results. Begin at the roots, and you'll have healthy plants.

At one time, I was very frustrated, and I thought it was complicated, too... but it's not! Once you read the basic, beginning article... which contains the basic information all broken down in easy to understand language, it all becomes very clear. It helped me a lot to separate growing into two categories... growing in the ground, and growing in containers. Once I did that, I could concentrate on one area... growing in pots/containers.

We'd go nuts trying to imitate what Mother Nature does in the ground or garden, so I save organic growing for the ground... and go with a more inorganic, easy to control method for growing in pots. Within smaller, confined spaces, it helps a lot if we are in control of moisture, nutrition, soil ingredients, light, insect control, etc...

JoJo - if there were a way to go into cryo-sleep until spring, I'd seriously consider it! LOL!

Christmas has become so over commercialized, plastic, and about consumerism that we wouldn't even bother if it weren't for the Grandkids. Christmas is for them. We only shop for the little ones. Adults are too many, and not enough of us in the family have the budget, so we make the holiday all about the kids! For the adults, we're happy we're all able to gather in one place to share dinner and visit.

We gather on Christmas Day at my daughter-in-law's Father's house, down the block from my son, and the whole family sits down to a large dinner. Her Dad likes to cook. Then, the kids open presents or play outside. The adults catch up, pitch in to clean up after dinner, grab some leftovers to take with... and that's it. We spend about 3-5 days at my son's, visit a few friends while in the area, and the family is in and out for the week, everyone visiting.

We take Rosie with. She has her own travel crate and accessories. LOL! She gets to see all the excitement, gets teased by the kids' cat, and gets fed a few leftovers and things she probably shouldn't have.

I used to bake a little for the holidays, long ago. Life changes, though... and I don't have the means or energy to bake. I'm not the greatest cook, anyway!

I would very much dislike having a Homeowner's Association to direct how I live on my own property... though your situation is a little different, JoJo. I think I'd probably look for ways to live on the edge, too! LOL! It's sometimes fun to "poke the bear"!

Josh - I'm glad you can't see the dust! I tore apart the whole alcove and cleaned, but pooped out when I got to the lower shelves used for storage... where nothing grows! LOL! I did vacuum, though, so I got the majority of dust, I guess.

Mrlike2u - LOL! I like the last one, too!

I don't want to forget anyone, so I won't list names... I hope everyone has a nice Holiday Season, and I hope everyone enjoys whatever it is they do for Christmas and the New Year! Whether you're cooking, or visiting, or doing nothing special... have a safe and happy time!

I have some pictures to share when I get them uploaded... so I will be back at some point...

Happy Growing!

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

The view on a frosty morning...

{{gwi:54179}}

H. Minerva as of last night...

{{gwi:54182}}

And the Gloriosa Vine...

{{gwi:54185}}

Those are the current items growing, and the view I see most winter mornings, unless there's snow on the ground! There's some patience involved in blooming Hippeastrum bulbs, but once they take a little time to come out of dormancy, root in, and push their scapes, it's only a matter of time before the blooms open! I couldn't be more excited to see this one flower!

I'm also hoping that the Gloriosa vine knows what it's doing... I'm not certain this is the time for growth, but I can't allow the corm to dry out and shrivel, so... we'll just have to wait and see what it does! It did rest previously, so it should be fine as long as I take care of it.

Have a nice day, everyone!

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Jodi~
    Cyber sleep sounds good! lol.. Woke to a very cold morning of 32 @ 6am. Don't know the actual low that was expected. DH hogs the tv and I don't catch much news.

I think same name is interesting, but to have the same spelling makes it even stranger. lol.. and how many things we are alike in!! ;-)

I looked up Russian Sage, and I don't think that is the plant I have. It suggests silver foliage, and mine is green. But very similar to the sage. I will try and post a more recent pic. still looking for the tag. lol.

Last night I came across a bag of seeds I had gotten on ebay last Feb. that got lost in the shuffle and so I have tons of goodies for spring!! A lot of flowers! a vegie or 2. ;-) Morning Glories, one of my favorite! and Datura's! Oh they smell sweet and attract my favorite moth, the sphinx moth. Which come from the famous tomato worm! I don't kill the worm anymore, I grow an extra tomato/host plant for them now.

Your bulb is coming along nicely! I would love seeds if you get them.

as for the Home Owners Association, I go way beyond "poke the bear" I make it down right MAD! LOL!!! What do you mean by my situation may be a little different?
    Right now the big thing is every month they go around and write up every home that has weeds or grass and items out of place on patio! Well the common grounds haven't been taken care of in over 6 months, and weeds and grass go to seed, end up in my yard! so I've asked them for the job, and they wont' give it to me, but pay some other fool $600- $700 a month to do nothing! I have pics. A friend is looking into getting a group together to sue for harassment. Yards is just a drop in the bucket.

I also have an old sink I want to put next to the toilet! Out by the mailbox, and will be planting something called Peter Peppers. Hehehe.. Yes, the name suggests the shape! ROFL!!!
    They actually are paprika when dried and ground. lol..

I'm with the others on the dust. ;-) One it's not that noticeable, and it's kinda expected around plants. lol..

Josh!~ how do you motivate a child to do better in school when teachers don't care and wont try!
    My son is not doing well and I've turned him over to my brother for tutoring. (my brother is the perfect person for the job, he is a genus) yes, he got the brains, so mom gave me the looks. lol..
    Anyway a meeting with the teachers recently we found out if my son isn't doing the work in class, the teachers just choose to let it go and not punish him or bother to tell us!! We didn't know how bad things were till progress reports came out. Make matters worse, they said this in front of my son, so he now knows they don't care !! Ugh!!!

Input from any and all is welcome!~ but I ask Josh for good reasons. ;-) Lets just say he knows about teaching. ;-)

well,
    I need to motivate.
    talk to you all soon!

JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Sphinx moth.

11 years ago

Hello, friends!

First, Linda, sorry for mistaking you for Caelian on the bottle tree!

Caelian, you are correct...that soil pH info is something that I spread around GardenWeb...
    and I spend a lot of time in the Hot Pepper Forum during the prime growing season.

Jodi, Minerva is really pushing now! Very exciting to see that thick bulb extending a bloom.

It's raining here again, so the overnight temps have only been in the 40F's and 50F's.
    There is a lot of snow falling above 4,000 feet elevation, though. It's been a great season.

This weekend, my friends and I had our Christmas Party...a big feast with adult beverages and a bonfire :-)
    Snow flurries greeted us as we arrived at the house at 2,500 feet elevation, but nothing stuck to the
    already rain-sodden roads. We exchanged gifts and had a blast. Yesterday, I went to my sister's house
    and helped her with a massive burn-pile in a drizzling mist.

JoJo, that's a tough question. If your brother shows that he's interested in helping your son,
    that might be all it takes to turn things around - a single caring individual. Motivation comes
    from outside and inside, extrinsic and intrinsic. The threat of bad grades is extrinsic and clearly
    not working. So, somehow, we've got to get your son self-motivated, intrinsically, and tap into
    whatever interests he has. Ultimately, there is nothing that a teacher can really *do* - and often,
    the more we try to do, the more we drive students away. I've been in the position where I've had
    to let students sink when they refuse to reach for the life-raft. But, in my experience, it's a
    lack of support or intellectual curiosity at home that dooms children to academic mediocrity and
    failure. An involved parent is the best medicine...and something of a rarity when it comes to public
    schools and children at risk of failing.

Josh

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Good morning!

It's definitely colder today... the chill you guys to the west recently received has reached me... thanks a lot! LOL!

JoJo - I mean that every Association is different, so yours could have different rules.

From what I hear, some Associations are downright Nazi-like! I could never live where someone had the power to tell me what to do within the confines of my own yard! I could never deal with anyone telling me what I could grow, what I could park in my driveway, what color the paint or shingles had to be, when to cut my grass, etc... and I wouldn't want to be on the other end of that equation, either. I'm not a control freak. Live and let live... that's our motto.

I don't deal well with authority/control in some cases, and I couldn't live where that would be tested, let's just say. The consequences might not reach a conclusion that leaves everyone smiling... I'd be doing the same things you are! LOL! That's why I love living so far out in the middle of nowhere. There is no one holding power over me and how I choose to live.

Long ago, that was tested by some over enthusiastic townsfolk who thought their rules outweighed the Constitution. Long story, but let's just say they found out differently, and were not happy about the end results. Some people have a hard time losing, evidently. Amazingly, and most childishly, a county can and will hold a grudge when they lose a case.

I don't know why they would object to saving some money and letting a resident take care of common grounds, though... that sounds kind of foolish on their part. You have a vested interest. A hired service wouldn't. Hiring a resident would actually work in their favor. It definitely might be worth getting deeper into it, legally. At the very least, it may get the Association to back off you and others they want to harass.

I would wholeheartedly agree with Josh... an involved parent is without doubt the best medicine. My Mom used to tell me that being a parent wasn't a popularity contest, and that we would thank her someday for maintaining a strict regimen... and it's very true. I was the wild child, not much for academic study, but through my parents strict guidance, I graduated. Granted, my aspirations weren't the 6 figure type... I wanted to be a wife and mother, to raise a family... but I'm very glad my parents stuck with me, encouraging me to finish school, to gain that education.

We don't realize it until we're adults, but that basic education is a necessary part of life. It's a necessary stepping stone to college, or to any avenue, job or profession-wise. Even the armed forces won't accept an entrant without a high school diploma or GED.

"...it's a lack of support or intellectual curiosity at home that dooms children to academic mediocrity and failure."

Well said, Josh... I agree. And unless a child is different from all the rest, there will come certain times where they rebel, test boundaries, lose interest, or give in to peer and other pressures, etc... and our job, as parents, is to find a way to point them back toward the road to maturity and success, and often that comes through harnessing their interests.

We were very lucky in that our small, local schools had wonderful teachers and principals, dedicated to educating and helping the kids get ahead. There was good communication between parents and teachers, student tutors available to help the kids that needed it, and no one was allowed to fall through any cracks. I wish it were like that everywhere! There were college level courses available for those who wanted to get ahead, or were bored because they were ahead, and help was everywhere for those students struggling.

We were very lucky to have the local resources we had when the kids were growing up.

JoJo, perhaps your brother's influence will be the catalyst, and your son will improve because he wants to... because he sees a role model in your brother, something to aspire to. From what I have seen, kids are most influenced by the adults they're surrounded with... and they take their cues in life from us, the adults.

Believe it or not, Minerva has grown at least 2 inches overnight! Her scape continues to lengthen, and it shouldn't be long before she blooms! If I am successful at getting her to set seed, I'd be happy to share, JoJo! One seed pod can produce a lot of seed, and there is a potential for 4 seed pods if I am successful.

It has been raining or drizzling for the past few days, and while the rain has stopped, it's still gloomy, dark and cloudy, wet and cold out there. The wind has picked up, too. I am not looking forward to chores today!

JoJo, I've been checking out various perennials and whatnot, and there are so many with blue sage-like flowers and growth habits... what I have is Russian sage, with a shorter different type of sage planted in front of it. I can't think what yours might be, though it could be something entirely different given our varied locations.

Given the weather and other factors, we find it a bit difficult to get into the spirit of the season, so to speak. It just doesn't feel like Christmas without fresh snow on the ground. Growing up, there was always lots of snow this time of year! Not that I miss it too much... don't get me wrong. The warmer it is, the happier I am!

A bonfire sounds so nice! Especially in chilly weather! It's got to be so beautiful with mountains in the background, snow falling at higher elevations... nice!

Well... time to get moving. One more cup of coffee, and I'm off to get my work done for the day.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Jodi

Reading what you said about some associations brought a memory of different kind...I come from family with 6 children. We always had lots of fun (no money, but we were quite happy kids anyway) - our mom & dad took us camping whenever possible, fishing, hiking, skating on the pond, and similar.
    We always use to sing, all of us together. I was maybe 6-7 yrs old at the time (looong time ago). It was summer evening, our windows wide open. We lived on second floor.
    We were singing few songs. All of sudden there was a knock on the door - policeman came to tell us that we should stop singing...My mom asked if somebody was complaining about the noise. He said no, just stop singing.

We kids just sat there, didn't understand.
    Can you imagine we could not sing our happy kids songs...

(One of the reasons I left first opportunity I had...)

Rina

Original Author
    11 years ago

Rina's story reminds me of one night when I was a teenager. We were at our cottage on the lake. It was maybe 8 or 9:00. Some summer nights, when the air was very still and the night clear, you could hear people talking in a normal voice from all the way across the lake, a distance of about 3/4 mile. That night was one of those calm nights, but there wasn't much conversation to be heard because someone was playing the harmonica. Beautifully - haunting strains. This person, whoever it was, was wonderfully talented, and was playing song after song. We figured out it was someone entertaining friends at a campfire at the waters edge across the lake. The group wasn't rowdy, or loud, because we'd have heard them, given how clearly we could hear the wonderful music. After the free concert had gone on for an hour or so, we could see flashing red lights up on the road above the beach. Moments later, we could hear the police officer telling the people that someone had complained because they couldn't sleep, that the music was too loud, and they would have to stop playing. I remember the night and the music like it was yesterday, and it's no easier to fathom the WHY of it (the complaint) today than it was way back then.

Hi, guys. Just checking in. Really warm here today (still 37* @ 22:35), but we might get some rain/snow come Thu, and possibly a white Christmas followed by a mid-week storm.

I hope you're all geared up for the holiday. I can't seem to get it into my head that Christmas is almost here. I've got all my shopping done, and menues planned, but it FEELS like Christmas is still weeks away - so strange.

This year, we host the extended family - our kids/grandkids/brothers/sisters/nieces/nephews, great neices/nephews ans a few of their boyfriends/girlfriends. That's Saturday. Christmas Eve, we'll have our kids here for our Christmas, and on Christmas we're headed to my brother's for dinner - going there on NY's Eve, too.

Take care. I hope that everyone who's feeling under the weather is better soon & feeling great by Christmas. Take care, guys. TTYL.

Al

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Rina - I grew up as one of four adopted kids, with extra foster kids always a part of our family. We numbered at least 6 kids at all times, sometimes 8 or more! My parents took us camping every opportunity they got! We were fortunate enough to see all the sights, from coast to coast, and everything in between, all as a result of camping trips! We went fishing often, and as I got older, my friends and I would hunt and trap, too. I've always lived way out in the country, always lived a more self-sufficient and down to earth life... and I've always had so much fun doing all those things!

I couldn't even imagine being told to stop singing, or stop playing a musical instrument! Who goes camping to sleep, or goes to a lake and finds a reason to complain about a single harmonica player? Good grief!

Neighbors never even complained when we'd have large parties with a rock band! We'd have a stage set up on the "back 40" with power running to it, a horse trough with 3 barrels of beer on ice, about 200 people, a giant bonfire, grills of food cooking, and tents set up for people to spend the weekend! Never got a complaint! Everyone would pitch in and help, throw a few dollars in to pay for food, beer, and the band... and we'd all have fun!

And if no one complained about a huge party out on a farm, why would anyone complain about a single harmonica? Or kids singing? What a messed up world we live in.

This is why I could never live in such a controlled environment. I don't need a babysitter or a parental figure telling me what I can do, and what I can't... I'm an adult. I think I can figure out for myself what is considered courteous, neighborly and decent.

If we thought our party would be too loud for the neighbors way down the road, we'd contain the noise, keep it down a bit. But the neighbors were more inclined to come down and listen to the band with us, or they were situated far enough away that it didn't bother them. We could hear other weekend parties going on elsewhere, occasionally... but we certainly had no intention of calling anyone to make them stop having fun. Who does that?

Al - I can barely find Christmas spirit this year! We don't celebrate anything here... we only celebrate because of the grandkids... it's a season of fun for them. We usually drive up and spend a few days with the family, but we only do gifts for the little kids. Adults in our family just don't have the budget to splurge anymore. Everything has gotten so expensive. We gather for dinner, watch the little kids have fun opening presents... and that's it. We stay a few days, visit, maybe do some side work, then come home. Without snow, it doesn't even feel like Christmas... and the older I get, the less I like all the commercialism and everything. I don't know... it just doesn't feel like Christmas this year for some reason. I almost feel like the Grinch! LOL!

I don't know... maybe I'm getting old and grumpy, or maybe it's because I just don't feel physically good this time of year... or maybe it's because of the weather... it just doesn't feel much like Christmas. I'll feel differently once we're up north with the kids, I'm sure!

I do hope everyone else has the spirit of the season, and enjoys time spent with family and friends! I wish everyone the very best this time of year has to offer!

Well... my chores won't do themselves, unfortunately... time to get busy! Have a good one!

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Random simple things that bring me joy:

Watching a child walk in enjoyment while wearing there new cap with joy.

Finding the right home for the package that was mi-delivered to mine.

Seeing bright lights glitter with or with out color.

Knowing sun and day light hours will increase once again.

My children laughing they way they do knowing better when I tell them I can be flexible in the kitchen.

The quilt as it drapes the back of the couch offering more welcoming than the pineapple offering hospitality on a tray.

In fairness if the pineapple where displayed out side it would offer more hospitality than the quilt would offer welcoming if quilt where draped outside.

Hearing and seeing by words and/or by pics someone else express there own simple things in life that brings them joy.

11 years ago

I guess I'm in the minority here...because I love the Christmas season ;-)
    No, I don't have my shopping done yet, but I do know the gifts I plan to purchase
    for my family members. Friends have already been presented their gifts.

I enjoy the pagan rituals - the re-enactment of sacred history - and contemplating
    the ways our ancestors survived the cold in the Deepest of Time. The Winter Solstice
    and the return of the Sun in three days is one of my favorite observances....
    after all, there's a reason I took the moniker of 'Greenman' ;-)

This year, an early gift from my Orchid.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Josh,

I am with you!!! ;-)

I lOVE THE CHRISTMAS FEELING AND I LOOK VERY HARD TO SEE THE TRUE BEAUTY THAT COMES WITH ALL THAT COMES WITH THE TRUE MEANING OF GIVING AND SENDING THE GREAT MESSAGES OF LOVE FOR THE ONES THAT ARE LESS FORTUNATE THAN MOST OF US.

LIKE WES Had MENTIONED.. I LOVE TO SEE SIMPLE RANDOM ACTS.. LIKE MY SON WHO WITHOUT ANY REMINDERS OF WHY HE DID THIS.. IT WAS FROM HIS OWN HEART AND IT MADE HIM FEEL GOOD, WHICH MADE ME FEEL WONDERFUL BECAUSE HE LEARNED THIS AND LOVE TO APPLY WHAT AND WHY IT IS IMPORTANT. THIS LITTLE LADY WAS STUCK IN THE MEDIAN OF THE TWO LANDED ROAD AND CARS WERE DRIVING BY VERY QUICKLY, INCLUDING HIM.. HE THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND TURNED AROUND... THIS LITTLE OLD LADY HAD A WALKER AND WAS TRYING TO CROSS TO GET BACK FROM THE 7-11 SHE HAD BEEN SHOPPING AT TO GET HOME TO THE RETIREMENNT HOUSE SHE LIVED. MY SON, MICHAEL TURNED HIS TRUCK AROUND AND STOPPED RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MEDIUM AND PUT ON HIS FLASHERS AND GOT OUT OF HIS CAR AN HELPED THE LITTLE LADY ACROSS THE STREET. i WAS SO PROUD AS HE TOLD ME THE STORY.. HE FELT GOOD TO DO IT FOR THE LADY, AND IM SURE OTHERS WISHED THEY HAD DONE THE SAME THING AND JUST STOPPED.. WELL WHEN HE TOLD ME THE STORY, I JUST HUGGED HIM AND SAID HE DID THE RIGHT THING...tears FILLED MY EYES, CUZ HE "GOT IT") HE IS ONLY 22 YEARS OLD, SOON TO BE 23 SOON., tHAT WAS THE BEST GIFT HE COULD HAVE GIVEN TO ME. HE DOESNT EVEN REALIZE THAT HE PLEASED ME IN THAT MANNER I SUPPOSE HE DOES REALIZE THAT HE TOUCHED A SOUL, ( QUITE A FEW THAT DAY...) CUX HE FELT GOOD...

NICE STORIES ALL AROUND..

i JUST CAME ACROSS ANOTHER ON THE MAIL FROM A FRIEND WHO IS 91 YEARS OLD.. i THINK SO MUCH OF THIS GENTLEMAN AND I WANTED TO SHARE THIS WITH YOU..

WHAT A WONDERFUL GIFT.. ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF THE YEAR..

i HOPE IT TOUCHES YOU AS IT TOUCHED MY HEART..

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!! ;-)

lAURA

Here is a link that might be useful: Landfaall Harmonica... Beautiful...

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Laura!
    What's with all caps? lose your glasses? lol! I don't mind really, it helps me read when I'm too lazy to go find mine! LOL!!!
    Haven't forgotten you, will write soon. been busy here. I volunteer 3 days a week and am just not used to being gone a 10 hr day! Been stay home mom for 15 yrs, so its hard doing things diff now. :-(

Caught up with Mike last night and got to talk till the phone died. LOL. which is always good for some laughs and fun!
    Thanks for the text Mike! which reminded me to call.. lol.
    Hugs! Mom always too!

I'm having a hard time getting into the spirit too this year, a lot of reasons. :-( But I guess we will make the best of it.

Wes,
    I love your list . :-) I'm a very simple person, and sometimes people here just don't understand that and complicate things only to make me unhappy.

My Birthday for example... Can't afford gifts, which I DON"T need!! and so little things like a "Happy Birthday" don't get said... :-(
    a pot of coffee when I get home made for me by someone else would go farther than any gift bought could go.. But I can't seem to get that through my guys heads. :-( Brew my own. sigh....

Well..
    Need to run.. taking mom shopping today. Wish me luck!! Hope its not busy out there! Still driving the huge truck! doing better and running over less curbs with the back tires though! LOL!!!

JoJo

Hi to all!!!
    I will get back tonight! Josh, Jodi, thanks for your ideas with Jace. will talk more later. Need to take mom for some last min. shopping.

This post was edited by jojosplants on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 10:53

11 years ago

p.s. another Happy Birthday for you, JoJo! :-)

Laura, merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you.

Be back later.....

Josh

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

HI Everyone!!

LOL.. Caps lock button was on!!! To late when i realized it so i decided to keep it that way.. Jojo... I did have my glasses on too! LOL!!!

Thank you Josh, Merry Christmas to you as well!!!

Laura

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

ROFL!! Time for a new prescription? Too funny Laura! Well like I said, saved me having to find mine. lol..

Josh! Thank you so much!

JoJo

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Laura. The small things in life that take care of us better than the big things OR even with my glasses on I didn't even notice your typing in caps.Maybe I was to busy looking at the neat orchid. What I notice most is it's flower looking like fabric was torn off from a late 1800's high society dress and formed to look even better as a flower.

Very nice treat Josh.

Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a great story about your son, Laura!

Happy belated, JJ. I haven't been around & wish I could have caught you on your b-day!

Had the extended family over last night. My parents are gone, and one of my sisters, but all the kids, g-kids, nieces/nephews & great nieces/nephews and some stragglers all made a nice time of it. The food was good, everyone ate too much, but we all had fun. No one was in a huff about anything, so it was like a Christmas gathering should be - like a family all wrapped up in each other. ;-)

Not much else to share right now, but I do want to wish EVERYONE a very Merry Christmas. Remember, it's not so much about opening presents as it is opening your hearts.

Take care.

Al