Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alrightypewriter

Growing Quinoa or Amaranth in containers?

alrightypewriter
13 years ago

Does anyone have info or experience growing either amaranth or quinoa in containers (for the seed grains)? What size container do you recommend and how many plants for a modest harvest?

Comments (5)

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Isn't quinoa a high elevation, cold dry weather crop? It's grown high in the Andes.

Maybe you could grow it in the refrigerator?

• alrightypewriter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hahaha, ok, point taken. I found some seeds from Botanical Interests and they didn't mention those requirements. They even had info on planting in warm climates. Whatever sells the seeds, right?

• emgardener
    13 years ago

Grew Amaranth in containers before, but for the greens. Taste good stir-fried. However you don't get much, leaves or grain from just a container. But they are pretty plants.

• gabriellegion1_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Growing:

You can simply plant organic quinoa seeds from the supermarket. The seeds can planted straight into the ground or in containers. Early June is a great time of year to start the seeds across North America and Europe. Seeds planted directly into the ground will grow to about 5-6 feet tall, seeds planted in containers will grow to about 2 feet tall.

In both circumstances the plants will grow a mass of millet-like seeds on the top of the plant and green spade shaped leaves which can also be used as a salad green. The plants should be watered and fertilized for best results, but they are generally very hardy and low-maintenance.

Harvesting:

In the fall, when the plants start to turn brown you can trim the stalks and collect the seeds. The seeds naturally have a bitter coating which deter birds, but also compromise the taste of the harvest.

The bitter coating can be washed away. We've found that the best way to harvest the seeds is to soak the stalks in water with a drop of dish soap for a few minutes to remove the coating and any insects (as shown above in picture 3 and 4). Hang the stalks upside down and let them dry out. Then simple pull the mass of seed of the stalk with your thumb and forefinger.

After removing the mass of seeds simply grind the seeds lightly with your finger or a mortar and pestle. The small white seeds will separate from their casings and if soak the ground up seed heads in water the edible quinoa seeds will sink and the pulp will float, making it easy to separate and dry the seeds.

In a 3' by 6" wide and 6" deep container I was able to grow about one cup of quinoa. It added to a wonderful meal for two in late September.

It's easy, cheap, productive, and doesn't take up much space. Why not try growing some in a container or in your garden this year?

• Manday
    12 years ago

Can you tell me how far apart you planted your Quinoa? I am wondering how many plants you had in that space. I am building a square foot garden, but no one has mentioned quinoa in that forum yet.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor