Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Controlling Scale Attack on Clivia

retiredprof
13 years ago

Looks like the Clivia forum is about dead at this point, so I thought I'd ask about this here. Not sure if any of you folks grow clivias, but I've had scale "attacks" on other containerized plants as well.

I have a very badly infested clivia. I've battled scale on this plant for years, but this summer the plant was under my daughter's care and the scale just went crazy. I have tried soap and water, forceful spraying with the hose, alcohol on swabs. etc. I'm about ready to ditch this because it looks like it already may be too far gone to save.

In researching treatment for scale, I've seen that some people recommend a systemic insecticide called Marathon. It's outrageously expensive, but apparently it's very effective. Do any of you have experience with this? What do you use to control insects on your container plants?

Comments (6)

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Hi RP,
    I do grow clivias and there are a few others here, too. (Mike+) I've fallen in love with them and began collecting some choice plants/crosses. I haven't had a problem with scale, but I have had spots that look suspicious on plants that have come in. Also, I've contracted the dreaded mealy bug with plants that I brought in.
    I have had good success with a Bayer product containing Imidacloprid. Many growers use the "Tree and Shrub" product or the "3 in 1". Not only should these products treat an outbreak it also works as a preventative.
    Gail

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Gail. I really don't know what do to with this. It's about 15 years old and I hate to lose it. I had planned to re-pot in gritty, then wasn't sure how to add Marathon. Search says catch effluent then pour back in, pour back in---totally opposite of Al's advice.

Please, if anybody can ring in here, please do.

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

As Monet said, use the Bayer with Imidacloprid. I have been growing orchids for many years and they are scale magnets. The only product which works is Bayer. I use the one for Roses. It should only be used outdoors, but if you are careful you could use it indoors.

The best thing is to try to kill as many visible scale you see. Try an alcohol spray, some people swear by bleach. Others have success with Listerine. Use the Bayer granular and water well. Isolate the plant from your other plants. They spread easily. I have no experience with Marathon but I think some orchid growers have. You might want to post over there. The best treatment for scale is systemic.

Jane

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I can think of more than 6 insecticides that contain imidacloprid as the active ingredient, Merit, Marathon and Admire among them. Bayer also makes a number of products that contain imidacloprid, which I have used on houseplants with very good results.

Horticultural oils called summer oils, perfect oils or all-season horticultural oils are an excellent remedial defense against scale. Neem oil has little knockdown, but is effective over the long pull nonetheless - especially as a prophylactic.

If you contact me off forum, I'll suggest an effective way to deal with your scale problem.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I won't come here publicly and say to use Bayer Systemic, but I will tell you it works since many I know use this and have never had a scale or mealy problem using it, or killed them too..You have to have a good eye to kill everyone of them since many are disguised or hidden..Any that are hidden suck the toxin right out of the plant and drop dead.

The only thing about it is that many agree it is candy for spider mites..

Are you sure it is scale? I have never seen or heard of this on Clivia's..Can you post a picture before you treat to make sure you are effective against the right pest?

Hi Monet..Good to see you..:-)

Mike

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

I have a couple of young Clivia among my indoor collection of plants, but I've never experienced a scale or mealybug infestation. Spider mites are my main concern, the air being so dry.

Outdoors, I use Bayer systemic with excellent results, both on container grown plants and on the roses early in the growing season to help control aphids. I haven't used it on any indoor plants, and I haven't yet used a systemic on anything grown in a gritty medium, so I'm not sure how well it would work in that capacity.

Indoors, I rather go for a spray... I use Schultz's 3 in 1, which is a fungicide/insecticide/miticide all in one bottle. This, I've had good results with. I take the plants to be sprayed outdoors, spray them to cover all surfaces, and then bring them back in when the product is fairly dry. (I don't want to inadvertently poison my dog.)

I would think that an oil based product wiped on would work best on scale, though.

Diatomaceous earth might be an idea... it's a natural product, though it would require reapplying every once in a while.

Getting back to Clivia... my two plants are young and haven't bloomed as of yet... anyone have photos to share of blooming Clivia? I'd love to see them!