Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tecnico

Can self watering pot be used toghther with gritty mix or 5-1-1?

tecnico
11 years ago

Hello forum members, would like to know self watering post be used with gritty mix or 5-1-1 mix's; because would like to grow boston fern and have read they like very moist medium and that self watering pots are good for them , so wondering if can they be used together to benefit the fern ?

Comments (15)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I would use the the 5.1.1 mix.

Mike

• tecnico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hello Mike : ) , so the self watering pot and the 5-1-1 would make the best option combo for the ferns, correct : ) ?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

There are variations on the self-watering pots. Will you be watering by adding water to a reservoir such that the water will only be supplied via the wicking activity of the soil?

Al

• tecnico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hello Al , good to say hello to you : ) , well yes thats how i would do it, even though have seen some instructions and videos that say that during the firsts months one shoud water from the top so the roots get long enough to reach at least the half of container , or do you have a better idea or recomendation : ) ?

• tecnico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hello Al , well yes thats how will do it filling from the resoivor, but haver read some instruction and seen some videos where they recomend the firsts month to water from the top , so the roots get longer and adapt to their new system , so do you have any recomendations or sugestion regarding this point of view of the top watering first and then bottom watering ?

11 years ago

Hey! Where've you been hiding? ;-)

Everyone's 5:1:1 mix is a little different from the next guy's, so it's difficult to answer directly ...... and the depth of the container + size of the root mass plays a part, too. For the most part, the 5:1:1 mix made the way I make mine doesn't wick well enough to be used with confidence in a SWC, unless the plant is established first by top watering or the SWC is shallow. If the pine bark you're using is rather fine, something like 5:2:1, PB:peat:perlite might be good. If the PB is a little coarser, you might need 5:3:1 - it just depends on the % of particles below about .100" and just how fine those particles ARE.

I don't grow in SWCs because in order for them to work, the average particle size has to be smaller than I prefer. I like the root health I'm able to maintain with my coarse & chunky soils I water from the top, and the convenience of the less frequent waterings doesn't mean much when I have Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Howdy, Doctor! ;-)

Hello, Mike and Al!

Yes, I think the 5-1-1 is excellent for ferns, but I would use it traditionally -
    just keeping the medium consistently moist, rather than using a self-watering pot.

Josh

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Tecnico!!

How is your Peace Lilly?

SO nice to see you around again..

I agree with the above posters and think the 5-1-1 will be fine for your ferns.

How is beautiful Puerto Rico this time of the year? Im sure it is just beautiful!!

Nice to see you again!!

Take care,

Laura

• greentiger87
    11 years ago

I've used the "Plant Spa" line with gritty mix extremely successfully. The containers are ugly as sin, but they fit my purposes for houseplants. They have a bottom reservoir with a screened area that's submerged, allowing the water to wick up.

Of course, water doesn't wick up well at all. I've always top watered, and try to drench thoroughly in the bathtub when I can. But once the plant is established, the reservoir allows for some "leeway", meaning I could go a couple weeks without watering my houseplants and everything would be fine. I've been incredibly surprised at how well this has worked - it supports enormous plants as if they were in the ground. My main rationale was simply to avoid the mess of drainage water in the house.. but it has exceeded my expectations.

Still painfully ugly though.

• tecnico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hello , Al, Josh and Laura : ) , good to see u around , well have been working with my computers as im a computer tech and plants are a hobby , well thanks for the sugestion on the 5-1-1 , as it does seem better so it retains more water than the gritty and greentiger justlooked at the plant spa and they look really basic looking diferent form others that look more stylish but well was just wandering about the swc's but basiclly look to have the same concept and design. Laura well my peace lily :'( , passed away : ( , wouldnt say it was either of the mix's , but surely the way i managed the process : ( , experiments sometimes go like that : / but well we learn in the process and spite of maybe the plant was to sensitive to the process , so gave the chance to another plant: a rubber plant that i had around and placed it in gritty mix at first months it looked well and stablished but didnt grow :( but after some week and having it outside is partly sun-shade and having the the morning showers and afternoon rains : ) Puerto Rico is like that in this time of the year and beautiful as always : ) ; the rubber plant has gotten 2 new leaves : ) , so dont know if its the sun ambient thats made her happy cuz had her in my office in an area where the flow of air was toward her about 10 feet across and around 71 F / 20 C
    so maybe she wasnt happy with the temp in that area eventhough she looked so nice looking there , but well was wondering if i take her in to my office i should get her out of the air flow and put it where it wouldnt get direct air , correct ?

11 years ago

Hi Doc!!

I am sorry that i haven't been around...

My Little Daschund had a terrible accident a few days ago when he was coming up the stairs. He missed a step and hit his little head wrong and instantly began to curl his feet. The Vet said he hurt his neck and to wait and see if he will come around. Well, he was paralyzed and couldn't do much to help himself, so i had to make the decision to let him go and not suffer anymore.. A hard decision because i didnt want him to leave me, but a decision made from the love that i have for him and the true love he always gave back. A true Gentleman for 13 years and he left in my arms a relaxed loved little loyal companion.
    This is why i have been away.. I'm still bummed and im missing my little garden buddy..But i wanted to come here and tell you why i didnt respond to your email and this post..

Thanks for the email to get me here!!!

Sorry to hear about your Peace Lilly. I know how much you loved them and how you worked so hard to get the mix right and the special containers for your loved lilly.

Noone could have done more than what you did to make them happy, try again someday and i bet they will be bigger and strongern(healthier) than the others.

Puerto Rico sounds lovely right now.. That would probably make me smile seeing those beautitful sunsets and crystal blue water around Luquillo Beach!! Love those Coconut palms all the way down to the water. What a great local spot to visit.

So you have a new Rubber Tree eh? ;-) I bet it does love the partial shade in your yard. Plants naturally love being outdside and i understand that you want to bring it inside to your office. You have the right idea to keep it away from drafts and or airconditoning vents. Constant air (chilled) causes problems and i would avoid this if possible. Also, i would keep it close to any natural light that you can, but if it is only artificial light try and see if it adjust. Give it some time because taking it from a natural enviroment to a artifical enviroment will cause any plant an adjustment period.

Good Luck Tecnico and i hope all is well with you!!

Enjoy that beautiful sunshine down south!!

Take Care,

Laura

11 years ago

I'm really sorry about your little buddy, Laura. You, having been one of those who offered condolences when I had to have my best pal put down, know that I know how much it hurts, and what a hole it leaves in our lives. It's a hard, hard thing sometimes to evaluate your pet's health honestly and unselfishly, and do what's best for the pet - to make that painful decision. When all is said and done though, it truly was your final act of love. Take care.

Al

• tecnico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Laura im sorry about your little friend, pets are like persons and as so they share their friendship with those care for them and undoubtly he had in you the best friend and owner. but well sent you an email with some links and hope that they cheers you up : ) and well with the PL i did learn many concepts with trial and error as is common with experiments, but surely the data learned is the base for other plants and that is the case for the rubber plant : )

11 years ago

Tecnico... Thank you so much for the wonderful email. You really made me feel better and made me smile looking at the beautiful pics of PR. I love that Island and especially Luquillo Beach. That is one beautiful Coconut Plantation. Thanks again!!!

Al.. Thank you for your kind comments and thank you for understanding how difficult my decision was. The house is lonely and i still can't stop myself from looking for him when i walk in. It is like I have to remember... It will get easier in time. It is just hard. Those of us that have had to make this decision do understand. Thank you!!

Take care,

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh Laura, I had no idea you posted this.

I am so sorry.....Mom says she knows just how you feel. She cried for a solid two weeks after loosing Coco our cat, after 19 years. You morn like they are a part of the family, an for some, that can be all they have.

We love you much Laura.

Mike