Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased plant?

Posted by e-w-031 none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 16:33

I just noticed a few things that concern me about my new fiddle leaf fig. There are two kinds of yellow spots on the leaves. I will have to upload photos in separate posts. Photos are numbered with the concern listed below.

1. One kind are small, even yellow dots that are evenly distributed on most of the leaves. The bottoms of these leaves look normal.

2. The other kind are uneven yellow blotches that only appear sporadically, not in any kind of pattern. On the bottoms of these leaves you can just barely see a slightly more transparent are where these blotches appear on the top side of the leaf.

3. There is small white marks on the stem.

4. There are also some rusty colored spots on the underside of some of the leaves.

Are any of these symptoms of some viral or fungal problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased plant?

Second photo

o
third photo

underside of leaf

o
fourth photo

white marks on stem

o
fifth photo

rusty spots on underside of leaf.

o

Is this plant in a pot, and if so, what kind of potting medium is it in?

Is it an indoor or outdoor plant?

o

The plant is in a pot, probably 10 gallon or 10 inch.

It is potted in a bark based mix. It is an indoor plant.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 12:59

1) a normal part of the plant's anatomy - lithocysts

2) Evidence of a cultural problem - most likely related to over-watering - possibly mild oedema

3) a normal part of the plant's anatomy - root primordia

4) looks like spider mite feeding sites

Al

o

Al,

Thanks for your responses to my questions! You are a wealth of knowledge!

I am relieved you didn't mention a possible virus in regards to the small rusty spots! This is for the long term and I want to start out on the right foot. I can still return the plant and purchase from another source. Do the spider mites or previous cultural problems seem bad enough that I should seek out a healthier plant?

And just for my education... If this plant did have one of the viruses that ficus are susceptible to is it possible or likely that it could infect my other houseplants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here