Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Bamboo in container, repot or discard?

Posted by JerryVentura 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 16:56

I just wasn't finding anything in the bamboo forum so I thought I'd try out everyone here.

I have a black bamboo that has been in a large concrete container (2x2x3) for about 5 years. It was given to me by a friend at the nursery, so I just poured in some mix (way before I knew about Gritty) and planted it. It's nice considering I haven't done anything to it since potting it, but It's time to do something about it and I'd like to hear what you all think.

I'm not sure I should try and keep it in that container or get rid of it. The yard isn't an option, nothing that isn't edible goes into my yard that needs water after the first year, I've been switching over to natives. If I keep it should I try the Gritty Mix, or a variation of that? I never heard Gritty mix mentioned once on the bamboo forum, it was more talk of lots of compost. If I keep it going in that container I'm guessing I'm going to just cut out a chunk and discard the rest. Then would re-potting every 2 years be a better schedule for this plant? You think it's not worth my time and I should get a better option?

Looking forward to some idea's,

Jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Bamboo in container, repot or discard?

Hey, Jerry!

I grow Black Bamboo, but not in containers.
I would recommend the 5-1-1 mix for the extra moisture retention.
Re-potting every couple years would be a good idea, indeed.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,

I was kinda thinking 5-1-1 mix also, I'm just not sure it's going to be worth messing with every couple years. On one hand I wouldn't mind eventually getting one large cane growing out of the container. On the other hand a nice fig would look really good in that container and I could let it go about 4 years before a redo.

Jerry

o

Honestly, I'd go for the fig.

I like Black Bamboo much better than figs, of course, but unless you can really let the Bamboo
get big, it likely wouldn't be worth the hassle. Re-potting every few years would also
limit the size of the Bamboo culms, so you'd never get to enjoy the full effect.

A fig, however, could be sculpted to compliment the area.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here