Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mutant avocado seedling

Posted by mossinajar 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 17:26

This avocado pit was sitting in water for a few months, it seemed healthy until it generated these strange white nodules that look like a cross between leaves and flower petals. The seedling has since been potted but there are no signs of leaves and the white nodules are slowly turning brown and falling off. It was getting a fair bit of light throughout the sprouting process.

Has an avocado seedling ever done this to anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mutant avocado seedling

Nothing about that photo looks like any avocado plant I've ever seen. Did it ever have leaves? If those are the leaves, I wonder if it has been irradiated or struck by a virus. Little shop of horrors territory, maybe?

o

I have one exactly the same and posted on reddit today. Got some interesting responses. http://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisplant/comments/1umz7l/this_avocado_plant_is_unlike_any_ive_grown_before/

o

Wow! That is fascinating. I am wondering if the growers of these Haas avocados did something to the seeds (or parent plants) to cause that in order to protect their hybrid? For those who couldn't follow AvacadoQuestion's link, it's linked below. It's really interesting. If mossinajar is still following this thread, I'd love to hear how this plant has fared.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weird avocado plant

o

Here's the thread mossinajar started on the House Plant Forum about this seedling. It think the mystery was pretty much solved there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mutant avocado seedling

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here