Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to plant in new concrete pots

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 17:51

We have new concrete pots or urns for our church. They were stained by the retailer. I've taken on the job of planting in them, but I'm hearing different advice about concrete pots. Do they need any prep work before planting in them?

I heard you need to apply a concrete sealer to the inside the pot. It would help it not to absorb water and lessen the chance that it would crack in cold weather. Then add the pebbles and sand for good drainage.

Then another person suggested putting in a heavy mil vinyl garbage bag into the pot; punch a hole in the bottom of the bag, add the pebbles and sand.

An idea I had was to find a black plastic pot like the ones used by nurseries and insert that in the pot. Then add the pebbles, sand and plants.

What worked for your concrete pots? And how many inches of pebbles/sand? The urns stand 20-22" high.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to plant in new concrete pots

summerstar, concrete pots will not crack under such usage as you mention; otherwise similar pots would not be used in cemeteries and other outdoor locations. The inside of concrete pots are left unpainted purely to save on paint.
You might encounter a problem of water leaks if these pots are inside the church. Your best bet would be to stand them on a matching saucer or on a cork mat specially designed for this purpose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here