Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet potato

Posted by markmahlum (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 18:07

Has anyone had success growing sweet potatoes in containers? I planted one in a 5 gallon pot in my GH about 2 1/2 months ago. Will it yield tubers? (Are sweet potatoes tubers?) Any advice and when will I know to dig them out?

Thanks,

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet potato

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 18:41

If the 15-18 eating-size tubers I dug out of my mixed plantings before they went on the compost pile are any kind of indicator, I had a pretty good year. Actually, I had several pots with Ipomea in them that had so many potatoes they had pushed the soil up more than 2 inches above the rim of the pot. Unfortunately, after a little research, I found there are taste issues associated with the tubers from the decorative sweet potato vines, so they went back into the compost.

Al

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 10:27

A couple of years ago, I tried to salvage the tubers from the decorative sweet potato vines to use the following year... but they didn't do so well. It turned out to be cheaper and faster to just buy new vine starts.

I've never actually grown sweet potatoes, though... not the ones you eat.

o

We had a grocery sweet potato that, because of neglect, sprouted, so we planted it in a not very large container. The leaves were pretty, though not as pretty as the type grown for ornament. The container wasn't large (maybe a gallon), but when I pulled the plant up at the end of October, there was one decent-sized tuber and maybe 4 or 5 "new potato"-style baby tubers. Haven't had them yet, but I don't think they'd be bad to eat. It makes me think that it would be pretty easy to cultivate them in containers, if that's your intention.

The blogger Life on the Balcony did an experiment with potatoes in Smart Pots, don't know how it turned out thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Life on the Balcony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here