Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Few Points Need Clarification Please!

retiredprof
13 years ago

I'm relatively new here on the forum but have been reading and searching for hours. Absolutely excellent info, but I think I'm info-overloaded. One minute I think "I have it" then the next I'm contradicted by something else I read.

Can you folks help with answers to these questions/issues:

1. Gritty: If I need to substitute perlite for granite, what is new ratio for fines, turface, perlite?

2. If I need to increase water retention, what component needs to be increased? Fines? What is new ratio?

3. Ideal particle size is 1/4" to 1/8"?

4. A little confused about re-potting vs potting up. Clear definition? Which involves the root pruning?

5. When to re-pot/pot up (?) JPs? At bud swell?

I apologize in advance for answers to these basic questions, but I just can't seem to land on definitive answers reading all the posts. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• landperson
    13 years ago

Yippeeee....
    I know the answer to #5.

When you re-pot you do your root pruning. It's the bigger of the two jobs.

Potting up pretty much means just picking your current plant out of its pot and putting it into a bigger pot without doing anything to the rootball.

Did I get it????
    Okay, be nice.
    It's the only one I felt safe answering....

• deburn
    13 years ago

LP, I'm no expert, but I think you got it! yay!! In fact, I think you even answered part of #4

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Retiredprof..
    Let me see if I can help alittle.
    I understand how you feel about all the reading. :)

The ratio when using perlite instead of granite is
    4 screened perlite
    3 screened bark
    2 screened Turface

This will offer about the same water retention as the original

1 screened bark
    1 screened Turface
    1 crushed granite.

I'm not real sure about #2

I belive #3 is right.

Repot involes root pruning.

For the most part, i've seen it suggested to re-pot after the leaves have fallen and before the new growth in the spring. If I recall it's worded before the buds swell and start to move.

If I'm wrong, Al will be along and correct me (at least I hoe so!);) and we will learn togehter. :)

Landperson~
    I do belive your right. :)

JoJo

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, all! I was pretty much on target, but your confirmation is really helpful. BTW, (I did it again) I meant JMs in that last point.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Good Morning retiredprof!
    I'm glad we were able to help.! :)

I was going to ask what a JP was, but hit submit too fast. lol!

Best wishes,
    JoJo

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    13 years ago

JoJo and Folks: I think I finally found the answer to my #2 question:

"If the grit mix holds too much water for your particular plant you reduce the amount of Turface and add more granite, making a soil that retains less moisture. if you need more water retention, add more Turface and cut back on granite."

In my case, perlite is my granite, so I'll adjust if need be.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi retiredprof~
    I'm glad you were able to find it. :)
    Best wishes!
    JoJo

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

1) See JJ's first post

2) From the plant's perspective: You probably don't need to increase water retention. If you want the convenience of not having to water as often, increase the volume of screened Turface and decrease the volume of granite, while keeping the organic fraction (screened bark) at 1/3 (or less) of the o/a volume.

3) Ideal particle size in a perfect world would be Turface and granite at 3/32 - 3/16", with the bark being 1/8 - 1/4" to allow for some decomposition over the life of the planting.

4) Pot up to a larger container anytime, though it's best to pot up when roots are actively growing. Repot, which includes root pruning and a change or partial change of soil is usually timed to coincide with dormancy or is usually done before the spring push. See the posts dated 5/12/8 and the post dated 11/10/0.

5) JMs and tridents are best repotted in spring, sometime after the initiation of bud movement and before emergence of first leaves. Pot up anytime.

Al