Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a hard time to find the ingredients of the gritty mix.

Posted by samuelforest 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 18:42

Hello all!I'm considering to get the ingredients of the gritty mix for two mango trees that I will pot up in spring time. I live in Canada Quebec near Montreal. For now, I found the MVP turface in a 50lb bag, for the pine bark I didn't find some yet, I heard about repti bark. Will it make the same as pine bark? For the crushed granite I have a hard time to find it. The only distributor of Gran-I-Grit I found was in Vermont ,but it's too far for me...Any help would be greatly apprecied.

Thanks in advance
Samuel Forest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a hard time to find the ingredients of the gritty mix.

How big are the mango trees? If you have to move moderately sized trees in and out every year (as you must in Canada?) then I would suggest you replace the granite with something else. The only reason I would use the granite for a tree in a pot larger than ~8" is if you're worried about it being blown over or etc. It just makes the pots far too heavy to deal with. I ended up using ~1-1.5 bags of the gran-i-grit which put some pots at 75 lbs just for the granite component.

The granite can be replaced with similarly sized perlite, charcoal, or anything else that doesn't hold significant quantities of water. Perlite would be the lightest option but you should check to see if mangos have any known issues with fluoride sensitivity (it's only an issue for a few types of plants). If you use charcoal make sure to wash it well to begin with and handle it gently as it is obviously more fragile than the granite etc..

I've used reptibark in the past and it will work - it is probably slightly larger than ideal and it is *very* expensive for what you get. You might even be able to mail order pine bark for less than you'll pay for the 24qt reptibark bags necessary for a large tree...

o
RE: I have a hard time to find the ingredients of the gritty mix.

I didn't buy the trees yet, I will buy them in spring time ,but they should be in 7 gallon pot.I just find out the repti bark and it cost me 12.99$ for a 8 quarts bag.Should I get a refund?They don't sell any 24 quarts in my pet store.For me the weight of the pot is not really a problem.I know it's not ideal but I can deal with it.I went to home sepot and I found some rocks ,but it looks like a mix of crushed granite with silica sand.It's a bit larger than I was looking for so I'll sift the larger parts.

Where could I order pine bark?At this time of the year all my garden stores are closed.

here's some pictures of the rock mix:

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here