Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can corn be grown in containers?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 18:52

I've heard that although most crops can be grown in
containers, corn isn't one of them.

However if you were to grow one corn plant per container,
would it be feasible to grow it in containers? If it is feasible to grow corn in containers, I would probably use a circular potter with the rim of the diameter being 14"-16" (per plant). Would this be too small?

The corn wouldn't be grown for myself, rather for family and friends I know that like corn (I hate it). I would grow at most two varieties. One would be standard ears of corn. The other would be mini baby ears of corn (the oriental variety).

If so, what does the size and depth of the container need
to be for ONE corn plant? Please specify this in gallons
and the depth in inches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can corn be grown in containers?

Nope! Can't grow corn in a Container:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oops - - I tell a lie.....

Raybo

o

Don't do "one plant per container" unless they are very very close. The plants need to pollenate each other.
Do use Ray's EarthTainers and plant multiple plants in each. Add water and you'll have happy pretty corn like in the pictures.
If you get the black smut fungus, contact me. It's a delicacy! But you are not likely to have the fungus using the containers and good new planting mix.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthTainer

o

Unless you can do a set-up like the above poster, no, you'll need too many plants to provide pollination. Even small gardens don't do well with corn. You need a lot of corn plants to get any ears of corn.

Jane

o

There isn't a variety of 'baby corn'. It's just regular sweet corn that has been harvested when the ears have pretty much just formed. You can use the same sweet corn variety you plan to grow into full sized ears.

(They SELL so called oriental baby corn, but those ears will grow into full sized ears, too. Only not of the good quality as your sweet corn hybrids.)

o

Last summer I planted corn in two 18 gallon rubbermaid tubs, 8 stalks per tub, just as an experiment. I ended up with about 8 ears of corn. I won't say I'll never grow corn this way again but for now I'd rather try something new. Maybe melons....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here