Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clarification with ingredients in Al's gritty mix

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 18:53

Pine or fir bark in 1/8 - 3/8" size (no fines)
Screened Turface MVP
Crushed granite (Gran-I-Grit, in grower size) or #2 cherrystone
gypsum

First off what is 'screened turface MVP'; I've never heard of it and I'm guessing that what is listed in the mix is an abbreviation.

Also what is '#2 cherrystone'. In reference to the granite, where can you find it, and does it come crushed, or do you have to crush it?

This is a really stupid question, but is gypsum the same as lime, or is it different. If so, how?

If so, what's the easiest method to crush it? How fine does it have to be (coarse, medium, small, a powder.....)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clarification with ingredients in Al's gritty mix

Here you go! This should answer everything!

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Search results:

o

the screened turface, is turface screened over a aluminum window screen, to get dust and small bits out. I think the #2 cherry stone, is the size of rock. Not sure on the cherry stone, but the grower grit (small rocks that are fed to chickens that they use to help grind up food)can be found at farm/ranch stores. Think rock a little bigger than a bb, or bigger than sand, but smaller than gravel. Gypsum and lime are not the same. Lime will bring ph up, gypsum does not have magnesium.

All this is what i have read on here, not much real exp, finding them all my self. good luck

o

It might not matter to you but I've gotten away from using granite chips in my gritty mixes. It's fine for small to medium sized pots but when you have a 7-10 gallon pot 1/3 of which is granite it becomes backbreaking work to move them around. I have everything on rollers once they are inside but getting them inside at the end of the season is a painful experience (even with a dolly).

I use appropriately sized perlite, charcoal, or a combination of the 2 to take the place of granite chips. There was some talk of fluoride toxicity with too much perlite but I've not had any problems with my citrus trees.

There is an advantage to the weight - the trees in the granite never tip over even in high winds. It's a tradeoff I suppose.... protect the trees against the wind and save your back - or be lazy about possible wind tipping and break your back once a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here