Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vining crops in containers?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 19:16

I'm wondering if it's feasible to grow vining crops (big long vines and sprawling plants)
in containers. I know that traditional vining crops such as melons, squash, etc.
aren't very good candidates for container gardening. However I have limited space
and container gardening is my only option.

Even if I had the space to make a plot for vining crops, the quality of soil here isn't
great; it's poor in nutrients.

The biggest size container I have to grow a vining crop in is 30 gallons and
I would grow one of them per container. It would be primarily vining varieties
of melons that would be grown. Some varieties that I'd like to try and grow at
some point, unfortunately there are no bush type varieties with short vines.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vining crops in containers?

Why not try it? Most of gardening is experimentation. Just make sure you use a good container mix like the ones posted in this forum, and then fertilize properly.

o

I recently planted 2 honeydew melons in a 5 gal. container.
I'll build a trellis around the container later if they grow
well.
John

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeydew Melons

o

Lat summer I grew 2 sugar baby watermelon plants in a 5 gallon container. Yield: 2 melons. Next year I'm going to try (2) 18 gallon tubs w/ watermelon & cantaloupe. These tubs will replace last year's corn experiment.

o

I'm going to grow Yellow Doll watermelon in a 15-20 gallon pot this summer, along with Windsor Hybrid Patio pumpkin which is a small 4-5" pumpkin not only for decoration, but for pies as well.

Also plant to grow beans, cukes, eggplant, squash and tomatoes in my containers/grow bags. Grow bags are cheap and you can find various sizes at Worm's Way online. They have small size up to 20 gallon.

I got most of my seed, except for Little Lucy and Baby Bubba Okra, at Swallowtail Garden Seeds.

Good luck and have fun!

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here