Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Josh - few ? about peppers...

Josh

If you don't mind, I have few questions.

I don't grow peppers, but happen to get few seedlings this year. One is labeled Scorpion (Moruga blend).
I have it inside now, and want to try to overwinter it.
(Experiment, I guess?)

I read about what should be done, but don't remember reading anything about buds/flowers. If the plant happens to bloom, should I cut them off during winter?

As you see, I don't know anything about peppers...

TIA
Rina

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Hello!
    I grew the Moruga last year, and what an incredibly hot pepper it was! Wow, you are in for a fiery treat :-)

The plant looks great, although I'm assuming it is not as pale as it appears in the image above. If it is actually that yellow, then it is in need of either a change in watering habits or a change in nutrient regimen.

I typically remove flowers and any pods that set, in order to focus energy on foliage production. The pods that do set - what I call "winterpods" - are lacking in development, flavor, character, sweetness, and piquance; and the pods are a drain on the plant overall. That's why I pull them. I would only allow the pods to develop if you have a sufficient light set-up for good production.

Ask any questions you'd like.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh

Thank you...now, since you are willing to answer:

Yes, it is yellow but NOT as much as the photo shows. Could be both - I didn't really fertilize it (only few times during the summer), and the watering too, I tend to overwater. I am planning to repot it into better mix (was sort of 5.1.1, but I can do better - as you posted on other thread).

Is root pruning necessary? (I have to look at the roots yet, it is in #1 nursery container)

Should the plant be pruned? Here is the photo hopefully showing a size:

I actually pinched off couple of tiny buds, so good to know that's right thing to do.

I got that plant since one of my friends likes hots - but probably not as hot as this one! Didn't have chance to find out since it didn't have any pods.

Thanks again. Rina

9 years ago

I would leave it in that size container. I use the #1 nursery containers for my overwintering, as well. Yes, start to fertilize! Regularly, probably at half-strength...since it is the Winter and growth will slow.

Don't overwater! That's what kills most chiles.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Josh...I may ask some more later.
    (Btw, I read hot peppers forum, but that's for serious growers. Here I am, just 1 hot pepper!)

Rina

edited to add: I actually have few ornamental peppers leftover, so maybe I'll try to grow them to practice.

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 21:57

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh

Does it make sense to try to root pruned off branches? Just wondering...

Root pruned-branch pruned & potted up. Hot one, and also couple of ornamentals + small yellow (Mohawk-sweet) and small purple pepper (sweet, Pinot Noir) I had growing outside this year. Will see what they do under the lights.
    Rina

9 years ago

I root and branch pruned my Hungarian before bringing it in. I think it makes sense.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not sure I made myself clear; I was thinking of rooting pruned off branches (I guess they are cuttings...they are from Scorpion)

Rina

9 years ago

Oh, I see!
    No, not worth the time or effort. Pepper cuttings tend to take a long time to root, and then grow slowly after. I would just start seeds.

Josh

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh - Thank you. Rina