Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolishpleasure

Citrus in containers

foolishpleasure
11 years ago

I ordered a Washington naval orange tree. It is 6 feet tall and has lots of branches. I planted it in 10 gallons container. The soil I used is 1/3 soil with humus 1/3 sphagnum moss and 1/3 perlite. I water 1/2 gallon of water with 1/2 ounce soluble miracle grow 3-1-2 every week. I got in now with three no heat flourcent lights because of the weather. But to my dismay the tree is losing its beautiful leaves. Is that normal or the pot is too small. Also I ordered two trees one Tangelos and one is lime. I have pots of 10 Gallons. 15 gallons and 20 gallons. Which one is suitable? All these trees will get out in the Garden by mid-April.

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

What size container was the tree in when purchased? Where are you keeping it right now? I would have it outside in a frost proof area. I would be using a acid type fertilizer such as "Miracid" I don't like your choice of mixes, only good for short life. If your citrus are permanent container plants I would use a long life mix such as the Gritty Mix, and go for a 15 gallon container size. Al

• Ernie
    11 years ago

I've struggled with growing citrus in containers, and I'm still not doing especially well with my two naval orange trees. Neither has produced fruit, and I'm constantly battling scale and fungal problems. That being said, I think Al's advice is on target. For one, your planting mix will probably retain too much water, and I recall reading many years ago (don't remember where now) that, while citrus trees like moist soil, they also like well drained soil. Also, while they'll require protection if the mercury drops too far, they'll probably be happier outside in natural light. Naval oranges are typically hardier than other citrus trees. Mine have survived overnight lows in the lower 20s with only modest protection.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Well, not sure if it will matter, since it seems that not to many poeple are interested in my citrus plants on this forum, but I will link you to what mine look like and you tell me if that is what you would like?

If so, let me know, and I will help.

I grow them indoors for the better part of the year only able to stick them outdoors for just a few short months.

Here is the link:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My citrus in containers

• ssmdgardener
    11 years ago

Mike, I have found your advice to be absolutely invaluable in growing my first citrus!

Foolishpleasure, Mike is a fantastic resource for a first time citrus grower. The only problem I had with my lemon tree was by being lazy and not following his recommendations exactly. :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mike

I would like to know what are temps in your 'citrus room'.

I have only 1 Meyer lemon, it just finished blooming. There are few baby lemons growing - is it good idea to remove them at this time?
    I got it earlier this year.

Rina

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Mike your citrus are thriving. I can only imagine the effort required to grow citrus in your climate. Moving your stock in and out with the seasons has encouraged keeping your container size to the minimum, but you have managed your feeding and light so all is in the best of health, congratulations. Al

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

rina..
    I told Mike I'd love to hang out in that room and he said I'd freeze because it is 55* . :-) I'm a big baby about temps below 80. lol...

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Mike's trees and other plants always look so wonderfully healthy and happy! I know he works at it, and he does such a great job! And he's always willing to offer advice to anyone wanting a little help.

I know where I'll be going for advice when I obtain my first citrus! As always, solid work, Mike!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm