Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A good Fungal spray, does anyone know?

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I was wondering if there is a fungal spray that can easily be purchased for fungal issues on the leaves of orchids?

I have no idea of even where to begin if a problem should crop up and I am scared of that. Please help.

Thank so much!

Mike

Comments (8)

• tillygrower
    11 years ago

Have you tried Physan 20?

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Read the label on Bayer 3 in 1 for roses and ornamentals... see if you can use it on citrus. It's a miticide, a fungicide, and an insecticide, all in one.

Captan by Bonide is an antifungal, but I'm not sure about use on edible plants.

I use Bayer products, but I don't normally use them on edibles, so... that might be of concern.

• mgk65
    11 years ago

Bonide has a variety of products such as Neem Oil, Bon Neem II and others for Insect and Disease Control.

See http://www.bonide.com/products/category.php?category_id=6

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonide

• nil13
    11 years ago

I second physan 20. That stuff is awesome.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I have heard that Physan is a good product for orchids... and that cinnamon will do in a pinch, if you don't have any professional products.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I have dozens of Orchids and I would like to arm myself with a great product should a situation ever develop. I have heard of many at the orchid forums having almost entire collections wiped out because of disease and I hope it doesn't happen to mine. It scares me.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I have dozens of Orchids and I would like to arm myself with a great product should a situation ever develop. I have heard of many at the orchid forums having almost entire collections wiped out because of disease and I hope it doesn't happen to mine. It scares me.

Mike

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I believe, Mike, that there are certain diseases orchids can get where disposal is the only option. The key, I think, is dealing only with reputable orchid growers and dealers. I don't know much about them, but I think it would be a good idea to research a bit, and maybe find out what to look for, etc...

It's the same with bulbs... the cheaper, mass produced and sold ones often come with a certain mite or certain diseases, and sometimes the only way to treat it is to isolate the bulb, make sure that's the issue, and then destroy the plant.

I've been lucky so far... well, except for the Narcissus Bulb Fly, which I can't really count as it's an insect, and not a disease. There are different issues, though... some viral, some fungal, and some caused by insects, not to be confused with one another.

Keeping new plants isolated for a watch period helps, as does keeping conditions sanitary, such as cleaning tools and pots between uses... you know, the usual.

Fungal issues and rot, as far as I know, normally occur with over watering... and that's when having an anti-fungal around is helpful... to cut roots back to healthy tissue and apply the anti-fungal as a precaution against more rot while trying to salvage the plant.

From what I've read, finding certain diseases in orchids can be quite costly and complicated... where tissue samples must be sent in somewhere and tested. I wouldn't worry overly much... unless you have a huge, expensive, awarded collection... at that point, it might pay to test. But as a hobby grower, I think taking normal care and not being over paranoid is good. I think you're fine, Mike. You're very careful and conscientious, and that's most of it, right there.