Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5-1-1 mix vs Earthbox mix

Posted by edh87 7a - Durham, NC (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 20:59

Hi all,

Thank you for so much information, especially Al Tapla. I'm new to gardening with a few DIY earthbox-type containers. I've been frequenting GardenWeb and the Earthbox forum. Earthbox people are very adamant that the potting media should be ~70-80% peat and 20-30% perlite+vermiculite with NO compost and NO pine bark. But here, everyone is of the opinion that pine bark fines are essential to good aeration in a container. I understand that less pine bark and more peat should be used in a bottom-watering SWC to enable wicking, but can anyone explain the vast difference between NO bine park recommended by Earthbox and MAJORITY pine bark recommended here? Any opinion on which is better for wicking-type SWCs in particular?

Thank you!
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5-1-1 mix vs Earthbox mix

Bottom watering requires soil that wicks up water against gravity. Mixes like the 5-1-1 are intended for top watering, which, in a container, requires soil that sheds water WITH gravity. The goals are opposites. And in both cases, people have spent a lot of time, money and effort in developing mixes that work with their goals in mind.

The high-peat mix in the bottom-watered containers works because the soils are not watered from above - they only suck up just enough water for the plant roots to access and use. Any excess water is free to drain down to the reserve tank by gravity, so moisture reaches a healthy balance with soil air.

The high-pine bark mix in top-watered containers works because excess water drains with every watering, and roots get enough water through frequent re-watering. Again, moisture reaches a healthy balance.

Both mixes work, but only in their respective watering regimes. If you try to go against the logic of either soil mix/watering regime system, you're bound to fail.

o

• Posted by edh87 7a - Durham, NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 15:37

Yes, but I've read posts from Al Tapla and others saying that they recommend something like 5-3-1 (bark-peat-perlite) for bottom watering SWCs, which is still very different from Earthbox's recommendations for 0-4-1 (NO bark, ~80% peat, 20% perlite/vermiculite).

o

After using SWC's for about a decade, I found a mix of about 50% peat and 50% something else (turface, bark,..) was good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here