Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Bedding vs Pine Bark Fines

Posted by K-Tex Tx (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 21:17

To all,
I have been reading the postings about growing medium
construction and as of today made my first attempt at the gritty
mix.This though is not the reason for my question. I have purchased some pine bark fines from Lowes (not overly impressed) lots of large chunks in it also found rocks? but I was doing some online research looking for a potential better source and stumbled onto some kiln dried pine bedding.Would this be a suitable alternative to the fines?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Bedding vs Pine Bark Fines

That product is likely sapwood, so it wouldn't be comparable to bark fines (bark is more stable and will resist decomposition much longer). I won't say that you can't use sapwood for container gardening (see this study, for example), but I wouldn't substitute sapwood for pine bark in the gritty mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here