Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Do aqua globes work or are they a waste of money?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

That's about it. I see them advertised everywhere, and before I buy any, I was wondering if they work, especially in the gritty mix that I use ?

Thanks alot anyone that helps me here.

Comments (19)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Waste of money!

• spencersmom
    15 years ago

There is a thread on another forum about them. People complained that the tube would get clogged and also would break. I can't remember what forum but I bet you could find it by searching.

It did not get rave reviews on the thread if I remember correctly.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou spencers mom, and Rhizo, I love ya...You are so funny! I got your point. Saved myself some money, and possibly a few plants in the mix we grow our stuff in..lol

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Mike,

Here is the link that spencersmom is talking about. I was also very interested in it until I read the second to the last post. Needless to say I didn't buy any, lol.

By the way I saw them at Home Depot today at the garden center, they were 50% less than the ones they are selling on TV...they were $9.99 for four. If you really wanted to try them, $10 is not so bad, and the good thing is if you really hated them...you can return them back to the store, unlike buying them on the as seen on TV or the internet. Don't have to worry about shipping either...If you do, let us know?

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: AquaGlobes Post

15 years ago

Mike, if you really want a laugh, take a look at the Posting a little bit further down the page titled: " Why is this plant....?" by klong. Aquaglobe's handiwork.

• spencersmom
    15 years ago

OH NO! Poor klong!! However Tapla did bring up an interesting point about why the plant is failing.

Put another check mark in the DON'T BUY column.

I felt bad laughing at someone else's anguish, however when you go from this thread to that one, it is pretty funny.

15 years ago

We all learn from mistakes. Sometimes, someone ELSE'S mistakes. :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhizo, I was too embarrsed to even talk about a couple of things that I did to my citrus trees last year! You are right, We definately learn from others mistakes, even the ones that are brave enough to admit them....:-)
    By the way, Thanks for everything to help me learn from mines in the time since I joined. Hope you are well. I hope poor klong didn't think I was making fun nor anyone for that matter, I guess we were laughing at what a joke the company that makes these stupid bulbs say, rather than poor klongs mistake. I hope klong laughs with us...:-)
    Take care and I will chat with you soon. Hugs all

• seedbeads
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried using beer bottles or plastic soda bottles turned upside down? Are the necks too wide to release water slowly?

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

I never went for the Aqua Globes as they're too fragile for outdoor gardening.

Added to knowledge base after reading this thread re: perched water level created too high up in container. VERY good to know.

The Aqua Spikes (which I bought 12 of last year) go a bit deeper into the containers but would assume one is creating the same perched water level problem.

I never used them because places that sell them online DO NOT tell you or provide an accurate photograph that would include what the package instructions do...you need to fill the soda bottles with "washed sand" (sand size unspecified) before adding water so it seeps instead of gushing into potting media on the lighter side of the "soil" spectrum.

I wonder if the Aqua Spikes might not create the perched water level problem if a wick were installed at a level near/below that at which the spike ends?

Any of you experienced container guys have an educated opinion on whether addition of wick would solve perched water level problem?

I'm totally serious (and a definite newbie) and I found it a real challenge to hand water everything every day as needed in summer heat particularly when I'm not here at my father's to attend to it for days at a time.

I was also concerned about mosquitoes proliferating in standing water of upright open bottom end of soda bottles.

Don't have mechanical inclination or money to rig up some drip irrigation system with widely scattered container groupings. I freely admit I'm not in your class of garden experience but don't think that's a reason why I can't garden in containers or otherwise. I can only continue to learn through trial and error heavily influenced by what I can learn on these forums from people with practical experience.

Thanks in advance if you have any constructive ideas if Aqua Spikes with wick lower in container might solve/help perched water problem.

• nicole__
    15 years ago

I purchased 8 aqua globes, then went on vacation for 3 weeks. They work for that purpose.

• tysmom05
    15 years ago

I have used the aqua globes in my houseplants for about 4 months. I have a spiderplant that went from droopy to full and beautiful. The aqua globe keeps it watered just enough to keep it going. I have atleast 30 babies on it now. I have never had a problem with the dirt getting stuck. It ususally lasts about 7 days and then I add more water.

• songbird2008
    15 years ago

I use empty dish detergent bottles, and they work just fine.

• mossinajar
    15 years ago

I made an "aquaglobe" out of a hollowed out lightbulb and a plastic tube. It really just helps to get the water below the soil line quickly. It's really useless as a long term watering solution.

• sphinsa
    15 years ago

I love my aqua globe!!!!! I wouldn't advise u buy it off the t.v. And it does need care in handling and a little adjustment but my fruits and I are mich happier now since the ag. I had to repot everything because of the delicate glass can't take hard dirt. And to keep the tube from clogging I cover the end with cuttings off an old sock (kept on by tiny rubberbands) I don't care to use plastic bottle because mine are in dwarf fruit trees and plastic leaches. All in all aqua globe is great. No overfilling pots no worrying about plants with wet feet

• ladyharley
    13 years ago

Yes I have them in 6 Hibiscus and they are thriving. Yes, every once in a while they clog, but it doesn't matter, the water goes through the clog anyway to the soil. People don't read the directions and you shouldn't use them on plants that require drying out between waterings...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't believe that I asked this question back then..lol

Mike..:-)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Me either Mike...LOL!

;)

I've heard their garbage...

Take care!
    JoJo