Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bark Question

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 1:25

Hi everyone and I thank you ahead for answering. I will make this a simple question. I am making a soil-less medium that is cheap consisting of only Pine bark and spag. peat moss. The Pine Mulch is low sap and has dust and chunks up to 2 in. Can this be mixed with peat for a soiless media? Will the larger size nuggets stops roots? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bark Question

My garden contains many rocks 2 inches and more which have never stopped the roots. In a container though they would occupy a lot of space that would be better used for growing media. Al

o

If it were me, I would screen out the dust and the larger particles, and use pieces approx. 1/8" to 1/4" in size... size of particulate within a medium should ideally be as comparable as you can get them for the medium to work properly within a container environment.

That said, roots grow around whatever obstacle they come across, so that wouldn't be an issue... I would be more worried about creating a perched water table within the pot... or having the dust and tiny pieces fill in around the larger chunks, defeating the entire purpose of mixing your own medium.

I would also add another ingredient, such as coarse perlite. It's reasonably priced, easy to manage because it's light in weight, and most larger garden centers would carry it... or be able to order it for you. Another alternative would be small gravel pieces, like cherry stone or granite chips, pumice, or small lava pieces.

o

Anything up to 3/8" or so is ideal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here