Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themastergardener1

Best place to get pine fines

TheMasterGardener1
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been posting a bit on here and I have to thank everyone who has answered.

I have been trying to find a way around using pine fines but the simple fact is from what experience I have had it is the BEST base for a medium. I can get a good product that is mulch but has to be sifted and I end up with 5-7 gal. of p. fines for 4 bucks. Is that a good price guys? Any hints to where I could find them, I have tryed everywhere it seem's but cant give up. Can someone recomend a hardware store? I have even asked alot of local nursery's and they look at me like I have 10 eyes!!!!!

Well, considering every year my container garden gets lager I wanted to use a peat base but I am giving that more thought after just reading some of Al's posts. So, for now I will plan on sifting a few bags and sticking with the 5-1-1 but I will keep my eye open. I am glad I made the right choice!!!!!

Al, I cant thank you any more for showing me this master peace 5-1-1 mix.

Comments (8)

• abnorm
    12 years ago

Tell us where you are located......"NE" doesn't cut it.....

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NE, PA, USA

• bonesci
    12 years ago

I'n in NE PA (north of Easton) and I usually but the pine bark mulch from Lowe's in the spring. They typically carry a couple different brands then and one usually has a decent proportion of the right size. It still has to be screened though. I just take the larger stuff out with a larger screen that fits over my wheelbarrow.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup same thing with me.

• bonesci
    12 years ago

Guess I didn't help much :). I don't much like all the screening either. THe only other option I've found is to find a farm bureau and have them special order the fines from Fafard. I beleive it is called "soil conditioner". The local one here in Tatamy does not carry it but htey have lots of Fafard products and told me they woudl have to special order it in the early spring when they place their order for the year. It pretty expensive so I didn't bother.

Chris

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Chris.

I will stick with the mulch that I sift as I realize at 4 bucks for a 2 cu ft bag then ends up being 1 cuft, is not that bad. I can fill 10 1gal. nursery containers with that!!!! Can I use the dust in place of peat in the 5-1-1?
    The larger chunks 1-1/2" I should use as mulch or even as a grow medium similar to large orhid bark.
    I have only good to say about the 5-1-1.

I have seen Fafard's products, they look good.

Thanks.

• mantorvillain
    12 years ago

Someone traded me a plant in an outstanding mix and when I inquired said he uses reptile bedding. On checking it out it is a finer texture than I can get in bagged mulch. Its a bit pricey at the pet stores but if you go online it's better and a couple of places have free shipping.

On another note, in the past, I got the smallest bark mulch (still had too much actual wood content for my satisfaction), screened it then ran the larger pieces through my chipper/shredder a couple of times. It's dusty but does reduce the particle size pretty well and is a lot cheaper when making up a larger batch.

FWIW
    Will

• zone 8
    12 years ago

Hi all, first posting. Has anyone used coconut bark? Does it break down? Thanks, Larry