Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wgtew

citrus in 2gal pots

WGTew
12 years ago

Hello,

I bought four containers from Lowes/Walmart stores ...

I see no indication these plants were budded/grafted ...

They are varigated centennial kumquat, eureka lemon,

key lime, and a persian lime ...

All the branches begin at the soil level ...

Is it possible they are/were rooted ...

Comments (5)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I believe they were budded to a rootstock. Although citrus will often produce a tree bearing fruit similar to the fruit from which the seed was obtained, I don't believe a commercial nursery would take that risk. Budding citrus is cost effective and I believe yours were budded, even if it is not apparent. Al

• WGTew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just thought all budding or grafting usually takes place at 4-6" above the soil level ...

And that there may be a few varieties that have substantial root systems to support that citrus plant ...

Thanks for any support or opinions,
    Willis G Tew, 32583, 850-910-1185, zone: 8 NW FL

• WGTew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rooting cuttings from a quality citrus plant has nothing to do with seeds/seedlings ...

I know that budding is the best way to go ... because you can choose a quality rootstock for a particular region ...

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Now, i don't understand why, and it may be that no one knows,but I always wonder why my citrus growing in a container ALWAYS perform better for me grown from cuttings and not on root stock?

Mike

• eahamel
    12 years ago

Those citrus aren't always grafted. The limes may not be, I see them all the time in nurseries here, not grafted. I don't think my kumquats are grafted, either. The lemon may be. Grafting keeps the citrus from getting too large, it dwarfs it, so you get a 10' tall orange or grapefruit instead of a 20' grapefruit or orange. Sometimes if a plant has been transplanted a few times, the bud will be below the ground, and that's fine. I've seen it with roses. My grafted citrus are grafted about 8-10" above the soil line.

Mike, your grafted citrus may be grafted onto the wrong rootstock for your area. Or if you did the grafts, or someone you know did them, the graft may not be lined up quite right with the rootstock. I took a grafting class a couple of years ago, and they pointed that out as a cause of problems.

If they are exposed to any freezes, the graft may die. But I suspect you're bringing them indoors or into a greenhouse before they have a chance to freeze!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living