Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Has anyone ver grown a Mango tree up north?

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

Ok. I will try again, since I posted this question yesterday and it is no where to be found..

I am pretty sucessful growing fig, citrus, and even bannana indoors..I was wondering if anyone here ever tried growing a Mango, dwarf that gives off fruit and been sucessful at it for my type weather.

Summering them outside, then indoors for the winter. Many fruiting tropicals can still be grown indoors, but Mango, I never tried that, but have always wanted too.

Have you seen Pugs?

That thing is beautiful and only about 5 feet high. Could be because it likes the Florida weather all season outdoors..lol

Nancy, if you could, can you please repost the pictures of that tree since somehow I can't seem to find that thread.

They are worth staring at here. Thanks!

Guess I am getting a little more confident now that I have the key to growing healthy plants in the dead of winter. I ahve Al to thank for that.

Thankyou!

Mike

Comments (44)

• davemichigan
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mike, check out the Tropical Fruit forum. Some of the very active guys are from NY, Ohio, or PA. You will see lots of mango trees pictures there too. :-)

I am interested in growing mango this coming spring too. It looks like it is quite doable.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

No Problem Mike...but you can also go to the Tropical Fruits Forum there are several members there that grow them in PA, NY, Northern CA and other colder climate states...check them out. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Here's the pics you requested...and Thanks for the nice compliments :o)

{{gwi:55331}}

{{gwi:8780}}

Here's a picture when I was repotting it...also gave it my once a year pruning job. Had one mango left when I did it...but stayed on till it was ripe.
    {{gwi:55624}}

{{gwi:55626}}

• yellowthumb
    14 years ago

Hi Mike,

Everything is possible, you could also try the mangosteen. Just kidding.

Mango is hard up in the north. I tried and failed miserably last time. It grew well in the summer, but in the winter, it lost majority of its leaves and never recovered. But mine is just too small like a twig. If I were you, I would order at least 3 gallon one early in the summer and repot it into the gritty mix. In my opinion, Citrus is a lot easier.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't wait to go home and pull up all the pics Nancy, of yours, and see the tropical fruit forum!
    Yours look so delicious!

I called that place you told me of, and I am going to order a "glenn", if it is doable. I will keep everyone posted.. It is funny, but I can seem to grow just about anything so far in the 5.1.1 and 1.1.1 mixes now!

Thankyou yellowthumb for your input and pleeeaaassseee pray for warm weather.I can't stand the cold anymore, since last summer that is...

Dave thankyou for your encouragement and advice..I will check it out.

I am so glad you are all here to help, and Nancy, thanks again for the pics!

Mike;-)

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Yep, there she goes again making me hungry! And you had to go and talk her into it, didn't you Mike! LOL!!

I am going to try growing one of these soon too! :)

JoJo

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike your Welcome!! Sorry Jojo...but this time it was Mike's fault,lol...He made me do it! :o)

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

ROFL!!

Yep, I'll get even with him! lol!!

Now i'm off to figure out some lunch! LOL!!

Have a great day Nancy!

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol...You are all too funny....Maybe we can have more fun next year?

Lolololol

Mike

Thanks! For reposting the pics....Yumyum!

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

It really is a beautiful tree, Nancy... if my indoor winter conditions weren't so dry, I might try a few dwarf trees.

Once we move into our own home, I'm sure to have better winter conditions. Apartment living is not good for some types of gardening!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jodi,

Where will you move to? In the same area? Florida maybe..:-) Will the new home have big or more windows? South facing ones? I hope so. I'll bet that was one of the first things you looked for. A place that let's lots of light in..Maybe just the thought of getting out of that apartment is all that mattered..lol

Jodi, if I could, I would knock down most my walls and put wall to wall glass, privacy or not, lol.

I have even wished my local nusery would let me move in rent free, if I just cared for their plants for free.
    Lots of light, humidity and clean air to breath..lol

I hope your move works out well for you!I hope your new place will be a place of warmth and comfort for you and family, the dogs, and all your lovely plants..

My thoughts with you into the new year!

Everyone else here too. Again Nancy, thankyou for posting these pictures for me..:-)

Is everyone going to watch the ball drop at 12:00 with Dick clark or is it someone else like Ryan Seacrest?Imagine that, Ryan Seacrest will be as old as Dick Clark before we know it. Boy does time fly by!

Mike..:-)

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

LOL! Yes, Mike time does fly!!
    Were staying in.. The guys are watching movies, and me, my plants and playing with camera. lol!

Got my coffee with Bailey's irish cream and whipped topping! :)

The dog is trying to talk hubby out of his eggnogg! LOL!

Don't know if were watching the ball, but will be up till midnight. :)

Looking forward to Lots of learning and laughs in the new year!

Happy New Year Everyone!!!
    JoJo

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words...Mike you're welcome, I was happy to do it. I'm sure you will have success growing a mango, make sure you don't get a seedling(get a grafted one)if you want to see fruits sooner than much later,lol...

Didn't make it to the ball drop...DH had to work very early today. Did have some blackberry wine coolers last night though,lol... Hope everyone has a Very Happy New Year!!

Mike here is another place I've heard them talk about in the Tropical Fruit forum...Just my personal opinion but I wouldn't get an Ice Cream mango tree...it is notorious for growing VERY slow! Although it is a dwarf, I prefer something faster growing, just my two cents.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nipa Gardens

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Mike, I'd love to move a couple of zones south, or maybe west... but my kids are here, so this is where we'll stay. Basically, we own a large chunk of vacant property, since the fire took our home several years ago. We couldn't afford to rebuild. We're looking to sell the property and buy a smaller place. I can no longer care for a large yard and a kennel full of dogs, so we're hoping to buy a small house on a small lot in town. Ideally, it would be 2 or 3 bedrooms, a garage, and a small yard I can garden.

In the meantime, we live in a small apartment, and we help caretake a large estate with a kennel, a horse barn, a hunting lodge, and lots of acreage. It's nice because I make my own schedule, and I do the amount of work that I can do without pushing myself. I'm able to keep my dogs, and garden all I want.

But I really want my own home, my own kitchen, my own gardens! And who knows? Maybe we'll find a house with a sun porch or a large bay window! Or maybe I'll be able to put up a small greenhouse!

And then, I'll be able to try growing a wider variety of plants.

Happy 2010!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You just might be able to some day..It sounds like you even have a good set up for now, where you live, despite your circumstances....:-)

You certainly are an amazing person to know, and not just I feel that way.

I always respect people who do so much and succeed, even though obstacles and curve balls are thrown at them in life..You are an inspiration to me, and many to be good at what we can be at, always continue to learn, find fun in what you like to do, and succeed!

Maybe you can grow a Mango or citrus some day in the good ole gritty mix. Please keep posting those beautiful flowers and recent pup pics if you ever get any...

Thankyou for that, from my mother too!

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Thank you, Mike... what a nice compliment! :-)

I think my attitude comes from my Mother... who always told me that "tomorrow is a whole new day"... and... "life is what you make it".

Life gave me lemons, but instead of plain old lemonade, I've decided to go for broke... and try for lemon meringue pie! What have I got to lose?!

But seriously... I think a person just has to make the best of what happens to them. And it helps to have your priorities straight. Money is not that important, and material possessions can be replaced... it's family and friends that mean the most, and helping others that truly makes me happy. For a person with a black cloud permanently overhead, I'm pretty happy! I've got everything I need, everything I want, enough to share a little, and I'm able to do the things I love to do... what else is there?

It's a New Year... anything can happen! :-)

• ottawan_z5a
    14 years ago

That is the spirit I wish I could acquire.
    Best wishes for you and all in the New Year.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

And Best Wishes for a New Year filled with Spirit, to you, ottawan! All it takes is a little faith and a little hope, and I think I have a little extra to share... sending those good wishes your way! :-)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Hey Ottawan - looks like you've strayed a little from home, eh? Good to see you over here on the container forum. I hope you join us more often. There's a really great crowd here.

Please excuse the cross talk, Mr. Mike ..... it seems that the thread is half socializing anyway. ;o)

Al

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

I think all threads end up that way! ;) I think it makes them nice.

Ottawan, best wishes to you! The good people here will rub off on you and you cant help but have some good spirits! ;)

Speaking of socializing, Al, how did dinner with your brother go and story telling? LOL!

Happy New year everyone!!

JoJo

14 years ago

Lol - I completely forgot about the story - DARN! I guess I was too busy giving all the young lions table tennis lessons. ;o)

Just musing - not taking you to task: I think some threads are more conducive to their falling into OT (off topic) conversations. They just seem like the right thing to do, because of the 'tone' of the thread ...... like the ones JaG and I posted a while back - "What is Growing this Winter", or the "What Better Way to Say HI" or "Off Topic - but HEY ..... It's Winter" threads. I can't speak for him, but I suspected he was as bored with the forum's inactivity as I was, and just tried to 'kick it up a notch'.

I guess that when I look at a thread, it sort of seems inconsiderate when someone starts an OT conversation while there's still a lively exchange of information going on re the original topic. I know I'm guilty of doing that very thing. It's easy for two or three posts in a row to carry the conversation completely OT w/o our even realizing it.

A big problem for me is when I post a reply, and it sparks an OT question in someone else's mind, so they come back on the thread and ask me that OT question. I often try to answer it by including something additional in my reply that IS still on topic, but sometimes it's so unrelated it's impossible. What to do then? I either have to appear to ignore it (I'm a jerk), or remind the poster it's impolite to piggy-back (I'm a jerk AND a hypocrite because I've done it myself), or try to answer as I described above. Sometimes I just note on the forum that I'll answer by email.

I can remember a time or two, being grateful to JaG for reminding posters that their conversation was off OT (on the "Water Movement in Soils" thread), and I've done that too, but I guess that's kind of consistent with my thought that as long as the exchange of info re the original topic is lively, we should remain on topic.

That's actually one thing about Dave's that drives me nutts. When you reply to a thread there, you are 'watching' the thread, so every time a new reply is posted, you're alerted; you then click on the thread to see wassup. That site is notorious for having more than one OT conversation going on in the middle of an on-topic discussion. Often these conversations will see as many as 5-10 OT posts in a row, and then an on-topic post or two will be found. It's obviously something that is between only 2 people, and could easily be handled through the sites email system, but ..... nothing's perfect.

I really enjoy the chatter between forum participants, as you can tell by my OT post. ;o) I guess I just look at it as more appropriate at some times than others. Often too, the OPs don't ask the right question to get at the information they need, so a circuitous route that often takes the thread OT is required. It's usually all fun though, no matter how you look at it. It keeps me off the streets and outa the bars. ;o)

Happy New Year to you too, JoJo. It's a continuing pleasure to get to know you.

Now I'm deeper in Mike's debt for having gone OT again on his dime. Darn. ;o)

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Howdy, everyone!
    I don't think Mike minds the conversation one bit...! ;-)
    He values this online community immensely. In fact, I can't wait 'til he reads through and has a chance to respond.

But to keep the Thread on-topic (thanks, Al), I'll say, No, Mike, I haven't ever grown a Mango at my latitude. However, it sounds to me as though you'll be able to pull it off!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol....Just a another good chat at the round table with my friends again...

Welcome ottawan, and happy Jan 3rd everyone..!

It is so good to see everyone doing so well thus far.
    And thanks Al, for the musing on your part..It is never boring when you do and share for sure..Always interesting, something to learn, and deep at times..:-)

14 years ago

I wasn't trying to turn the conversation back to the topic, Josh; and I agree about Mike not minding the chatter ...... pretty confident in that. This seems to be one of those threads that just invites our meanderings - but maybe I just said that to ease my guilt over posting off topic twice, hmmm? ;o)

Al

14 years ago

I know....
    it was my own guilt peeking out ;)

Mornin', Mike! Will we need call you Mango Mike next season? ;-0

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol.....If I ever grow a mango fruit, you will all be the first to see the pics, in Al's gritty mix!!!!

I am definately getting one..Already on order....

Mike

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Mike,
    You weren't sposed to order one before me! That's cheating! LOL!!!

K... just kidding.. Happy for you!!
    Where did you order it from?? what kind?? Just in case I cant find one local and need to order.... Please share..

It's the least you can do for making me jealous.. he he...

JoJo

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi everyone...wow this thread has really grown since the last time I checked it. Speaking of mango trees...I just spent several hours covering my "inground Mango and lycee trees for the upcoming freeze warning. Wish me luck. If I lose any of these...I'm getting more and planting them in containers. I'm tired of covering up plants,lol.

Welcome Ottawan!

Jodi, what a wonderful outlook on life. You sound like a very lovely person...as most members here. I think that's what makes this group pretty special.

Yes Mike...Please share...we want details. Or are you waiting till you have pics to share? I can wait for that.

• filix
    14 years ago

Hello Mike. I never tried to grow one up north. But I did try one when I lived in southern FL. It was a kent mango "my favorite" but the frost nailed it. :( filix.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is so strange Felix, thanks to Pug, that is exactly what I ordered, or have on hold till I call again in March, when spring finally arrives! A "kent" and a "glenn" mango...

Don't you hate frost?!

Nancy, I thought I saw the temps read on the map 30's where you are..Is this true????????? What is going on?..The whole country is way below normal.....
    And thanks a million for trying to identify that plant I was asking about...Hopefully I will get a call today on it and I will let you all know..::-)

Jojo, and Josh, what do you say we all order mangos and create a mango club?..lol
    If we could only get them to look as nice as Pugs....We'll see. Nice big sweet juicy fruit...Wait first of all, we have to get Josh to aquire some citrus...lol

You should see the beauties they have at "Pine Hill Nurseries"....

14 years ago

I'm enjoying some dried mango right now...

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Unbelievable Josh....

Maybe I can dry my own someday and send you some!! lol

At the wrong desk today...You get it right?..;-(

Mike...

• c00rdb
    14 years ago

Mike-

You mention growing bananas as indoors/outdoors. Have you ever gotten them to fruit in the pot? I have been successful growing them for foliage (Ice cream cultivar) but never gotten them to set flowers. What cultivars have you tried?

-Greg

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Personally, I like how some threads evolve into social interaction... it gives us all a chance to learn a little bit about our fellow members, and what makes us tick!

I've got a small, young banana tree in the basement right now... it's looking pretty shabby. I hope it survives until spring... it likes being outdoors in the sun! I have no idea what kind it is... it was a little offset or pup from a southern friend! It rooted well, and took off over summer... but began dropping leaves after I brought it in for the cold weather.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tried the dwarf varieties that I got from Logees..I have seen them in fruit there and other nurseries as of two weeks ago....

I tried myself, to the point where I was getting buds, but they were such spidermite magnets, I couldn't handle them anymore at my home....When I tried to spray them, they would hide deep into the unfurling leaves..I figured bringing them to work in full sun would be ok, and I wouldn't have to worry about mites attacking my houseplants anymore..Greg, bringing then to work was the worst thing I could of done, because they up and disappeared while I was on vacation..I will never know if the actual fruit grew..:-((((((.

So maybe I should of said successful growing bananas to the point of flowering, but no fruit. It can be done though.

If they were not such mite magnets up here in home, I would of loved to see if I could of fruited one..;-(. Beware though. I have ruined a many shirt with the sticky substance from their leaves..lol

Hope yours does well overtime..If ever you attain at least a flower, please share will ya?

Take care Greg..

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike, I'm afraid its true...we are suppose to be in the upper 20's and low 30's for almost a week and a half, with a couple of upper 30's mixed in there. It was 29 this morning. I know that's not cold for you guys...but its enough to damage or kill my plants and fruit trees. I think my in-ground Mango trees will be toast by then :o(

I've lived here almost 18 yrs, and have never seen more than 3 nights in a row of freezing temps and that was only last year, the most I remember before that was only 1-2 days in a row...I just don't know what is happening! All I know is I HATE this!

Mike, those are two wonderful and delicious varieties you picked. I like your idea of a Mango Club...and if this weather persist looks like all my mango trees will have to be grown in the pots also,lol...

Please give me my FL warm winter back!!

14 years ago

Fingers still crossed, Nance.

Al

• c00rdb
    14 years ago

Mike,

Unfortunately I have to start over with my ice cream banana because i left it out in the cold. I'm currently moving and might try with a metal halide indoors.

While we're on the subject of tropicals though I have a miracle fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum) in Al's 5-1-1 by a window with a cfl which is currently flushing yet again. It initally dropped all its leaves back in march but its come all the way back. Hopefully I'll get some fruit from it soon. I also have a second one of these trees- I put it in the 5-1-1 but with Sphagnum instead of peat. It dropped all its leaves and has done nothing at all for the past 3 months. The moss is very slow to dry but I hear these love water so I don't know whats wrong with this one. Maybe it needs humidity indoors to get it kick started. If anyone would know, i'd love to hear.

I'm anxious to try growing some citrus this summer.

-Greg

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Gregg.

Sorry to hear you lost your tree..They are so beautiful till someone or frost takes them..;-(

I was wondering if you checked the roots to the one in Spagnum? I almost lost a plant last week planted in that stuff, to rot, and pulling the stuff off the roots was no fun......
    I had to put it in the 5.1.1.mix asap, and it seems to be doing much better already..

Nancy, I can't believe the temps you are all getting down there...You must be in a tizzy about all your inground plants..I wish them well! That is awful.. 20's and 30's for more than a couple days? What is going on????

• yellowthumb
    14 years ago

Banana, interesting. I had a couple in the last 10 years. None of them flourished initially. But failed to flower. What I was having is the super dwarf Cavendish. It's a compact plant, well, too compact, it prefers a constant fast growth rate, otherwise, it will choke itself to death. The final foliage failed to uncurl.

I did see one in a greenhouse that is flowering. The trunk is so fat. Summer is easy, the problem is our long and dark winter.

• mangobaby
    14 years ago

Hi Nancy,

Are your potted mangoes flowering? Please post some pics. Good luck with your inground mangoes.

Thanks!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Al...Please keep them crossed for at least two more nights. Forecast for tonight is 24° and probably the same for tomo night too :o(

Mike, Thanks!! We actually had snow flurries in parts of north and central FL this morning...this is just INSANE!!

Mangobaby, thanks for the well wishes...my potted mango isn't blooming yet...I will post pics "if" it does. I trimmed them late summer...its possible it may not flower this year...or flower later in April or so?

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I was wondering if you bought your mango yet? From seeing your citrus and other plants I think you'll you fantastically well with your mango. ( :
    Bo

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Just found this thread. Did anyone grow mangoes successfully up north?