Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers but no leaves

Posted by acutsh1 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 9:53

I have a morning glory in a container which blooms constantly however has no leaves, any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers but no leaves

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 10:52

It takes leaves to produce food/energy. If the plant is using more energy than it it producing, it is dying ...... or at least steadily declining, to put it a softer way.

In some annual plants, hormonal changes as days shorten find them increasingly unable to produce vegetative growth, and they focus their energy on organs that assure their genes get passed along to the next generation, those organs being blooms and fruit (seeds).

Any idea what the genus & specific epithet of your plant might be? There are many plants commonly referred to as 'morning glory'. If it's not the natural behavior of an annual 'going to seed', you'll need to look closely at the cultural conditions - light, soil & watering habits, nutritional supplementation, temperature .....

Al

o
RE: Flowers but no leaves

Thanks AL
Any idea what the genus & specific epithet of your plant might be? There are many plants commonly referred to as 'morning glory'. If it's not the natural behavior of an annual 'going to seed', you'll need to look closely at the cultural conditions - light, soil & watering habits, nutritional supplementation, temperature .....

Heavenly Blue-Grown from seed ( 4 months) in a 3 gal pot with potting soil. Water twice a week, 8 hours sunlight. So far I have not fertilized . Temperature upper 70s
Thx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here